+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Leftcoaster
  • 1 Post By Gutmutter
  • 1 Post By Leftcoaster
  • 2 Post By Gutmutter
  • 3 Post By Leftcoaster

Thread: How do you properly attribute a quote made by a fictional character?

How do you properly attribute a quote made by a fictional character?

I'm thinking of something I read recently in a fictional setting, but worse than a fictional quote, I'm leaning toward recalling it not as a direct quote, but a saying referred to by another fictional party.

The saying was something along the line of:

'It's easier to forgive someone for being wrong, than to forgive someone for being right'

I have some affinity for that opinion.
    Punkin likes this.

Re: How do you properly attribute a quote made by a fictional character?

That was a real question.

Do you attribute the quote to the fictional individual who said it, or the real life person who wrote it?

The first makes more sense to me, but I'd appreciate some wordy person in the know cluing me in as to the bottom line.

Does one do a dual attribute, fictional character AND author?

I would think "Quote" - character in title by author. You have to credit the author of the words. It drove me crazy when Robin Williams died and he was credited all over the place with movie quotes.
    Leftcoaster likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Thank you, Gutmutter.

Seems like I've seen it served up elsewhere differently,but I couldn't recollect how.

Your method seems like it would leave no doubts.

Thanks again for responding.

Edited to add:

Liking your avatar alot.
    Punkin likes this.

Leftcoaster loves snuggling kitties! A revelation! Old cat ladies now snuggling up with Leftcoaster! Who'd a thunk it! Meow!
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

I've been thinking about your question a lot and I'd like to qualify my previous answer... if you're citing a quote in a paper, it would be different from how you would do it, say, on Facebook. If there's a picture of Alice in Wonderland talking to the Cheshire cat, you could just cite, "Alice". The assumption would already be there as to where it was from, but you would be clarifying that it was Alice talking. If there's a picture of Robin Williams with a quote, you could just cite - Dead Poets Society... people would assume it was his character's quote, but you'd be clarifying what role it was from (as opposed to something he came up with himself). But if you were writing a paper, the citation would have to include the author.
    Like I said, I've been giving this great thought.
    Punkin and Leftcoaster like this.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter, your thought of great thinking on this topic has me jokingly reaching for an analgesic.

I Do appreciate the thought though, you betcha, seeing as I'd truly wondered about this question.

Even without having a paper to consider, a more formal format strikes me as appropriate.

I've never seen Dead Poets Society, and I STILL know enough about what's going on in that tale to understand the kind of reference you point toward.
    So very many people don't read, period, and do, their familiarity likely won't match the individual attempting to make a point, so the formal format seems more appropriate overall, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Leftcoaster loves snuggling kitties! A revelation! Old cat ladies now snuggling up with Leftcoaster! Who'd a thunk it! Meow!
    I've had 'hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats' (and their kittens) share my life, or so it seems.

Fortunately, I was lucky, before Bob Barker's continual haranguing about spaying and neutering your pets sank in and was able to adopt out kittens. (Two or three litters). I'm STILL thankful to Bob for that continually reinforced message.
    Punkin, waywyrd and Gutmutter like this.

+ Reply to Thread