+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Does anyone use audible.com ?

Does anyone use audible.com ?

I am an avid reader. My husband would love to be but reading physically puts him to sleep and he's getting frustrated with my growing list of "you HAVE to read this!" for him, as well as getting jealous that I'm tearing through the A Song of Fire and Ice series and 'leaving him behind'. I've been flirting with the idea of audible.com as he does a lot of driving and traveling and would have time to listen. They have a free month to try it out, but I'd rather hear from 'real people' if possible. Our library does have audio books available on CD, but the selection isn't the greatest.
    Wag more, bark less

Re: Does anyone use audible.com ?

We have had good luck with audible. My second oldest son has always struggled a bit with English classes. During his junior year of high school he asked me if he could try getting the audio version of the book he was reading for English class and listen while following along with the hard copy book. We hopped on audible and were able to find the audio version that matched the version he was reading in class. It vastly helped improve his digestion of the material! We continued to use this strategy for the rest of high school until he graduated this past spring. I imagine he will likely do this for literature classes in college as well.

My one complaint is that when I initially signed up for a trial with them it was not at all clear to me that they were going to automatically start charging me a monthly fee and adding credits to my account! I am usually on the lookout for this type of billing format, so it caught me completely off guard when I saw a charge on my bank account and realized they had been doing it for a few months before I caught it! In my case it worked out because I used the credits to get the aforementioned books for my son.

Yep, there pretty much aren't any free trials that don't require your credit card. Whenever I sign up for one, I put a reminder on my phone to cancel the trial a few days before the month is up. That way, even if it takes a day or two for the cancellation to go through, I still won't be charged.

If I had more time in the car, I might do this, although I find that I tend to zone out while driving long distances. Just a result of driving LA freeways for so many years. If you don't go on auto pilot a bit, the traffic drives you crazy!

Jamie, I bet there are reviews of audible online if you look for them
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I tried audio books from the digital public library once, but they are not for me. I find I get much more involved in a book by reading it. I do think it is a wonderful alternative for those with visual or other issues that would other prevent their access to books.

Since I don't need it personally, I would not pay a monthly fee for audio books, and if I did need it, I'd stick with those available from the public library. I do find it strange that the digital public library has some books available ONLY in the audio format and not in Kindle or EPUB. That does bother me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I tried audio books from the digital public library once, but they are not for me. I find I get much more involved in a book by reading it. I do think it is a wonderful alternative for those with visual or other issues that would other prevent their access to books.

Since I don't need it personally, I would not pay a monthly fee for audio books, and if I did need it, I'd stick with those available from the public library. I do find it strange that the digital public library has some books available ONLY in the audio format and not in Kindle or EPUB. That does bother me.
    Then there is me who is annoyed that not all books are in an audio format.
    bearwme1 and Jamie5632 like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie

I love Audible. I'm a marathon runner and music doesn't keep my interest for long stretches of time, so I started on audible. It's awesome! Now I listen to books at work while I'm plugging away.

I have listened to the Hunger Games Series, the first 3 Game of Thrones and now I'm going thru the Other Boleyn Girl books. I only listen to books that I've read already (so that if my mind wanders onto actual work I don't miss anything) and I find that I pick up A LOT that I missed during my original reads.

Also, if you have a Kindle, they have something called "WhisperSync" where you can read on your Kindle and then it will pick up where you left off on Audible. I don't have a Kindle, so I haven't used it, but it's there
    Jamie5632 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I spend a lot of time in the car, so I use audiobooks to pass the time. My library has a good selection, and if they don't have a book I can request it. Lindsay22, good idea about using past books during exercise. I'm going to try that!
    Jamie5632 likes this.

Thanks so much for all the input! I love the idea of the sync with his Kindle because even though he's only good for three pages at a time, he does like to read as well.
    Wag more, bark less

You can also just use the text-to-speech feature on your Kindle. I think they all have that feature, or at least the more recent versions do.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

My one complaint is that when I initially signed up for a trial with them it was not at all clear to me that they were going to automatically start charging me a monthly fee and adding credits to my account! I am usually on the lookout for this type of billing format, so it caught me completely off guard when I saw a charge on my bank account and realized they had been doing it for a few months before I caught it! In my case it worked out because I used the credits to get the aforementioned books for my son.
    The same thing happened to me, but like you I was able to use the credits for books that I wanted. The unsubscribe instructions are buried so deep within their web site, it takes a determined effort to find it and figure how it works.

That said, I've enjoyed listening to the books I got. My favorite is the The No. 1 Ladies Detective Club series. The narrator has the most beautiful, melodic voice. After a stressful day, listening to her voice is so relaxing! I use my Kindle Fire for my audible books, works great.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast