+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Favorite post apolcalypse fiction (preferably non-religious apolcalypses)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Favorite post apolcalypse fiction (preferably non-religious apolcalypses)

We got off on this topic on the Revolution TV show thread, so thought I'd start a thread here. As of a fan of that show and Jericho, to name two recent TV shows with that theme (and on some level even LOST falls in that category), we started sharing favorite books of that type. Revolution for example is based on one which I haven't read yet, but now will look for--the Emberverse series by S.M. Stirling.

Among my favorites, Lucifer's Hammer, which was made into a movie after I read it. Currently reading and really liking Swan Song by Robert McCammon, even if it has a bit more "religion"/magic than I generally like. I found this while reading a Kindle Amazon review of Lucifer's Hammer (nostalgia trip!), which also recommended King's The Stand, Thomas Disch's The Genocides, and Walter J. Williams' The Rift. I haven't been able to find the last two yet, but I'm looking! There was also a great one, in English but set in France...the main characters are holled up in an old castle type building which allows them to defend themselves from the hoardes fleeing the cities. Sadly I don't recall the name--if anyone recognizes it, let me know. Currently awaiting my eyes on the Kindle is On the Beach...which I realized the other day I'd never read.
    I also liked David Brin's The Postman, which I heard about because of the movie...I thought the movie (which was not well reviewed, I think because reviewers then were really down on Kevin Costner) was actually a little better than the book, but the book was good, too.
    Last edited by PWS; 04-01-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    Cornholio likes this.

Re: Favorite post apolcalypse fiction (preferably non-religious apolcalypses)

On the Beach is pretty good and the movie wasn't bad either. I read The Stand many times in my life, I out-standed myself. I also enjoyed Swan Song, but its a biggie.

There are a number of zombie ones I like, the Brian Keene books, Dead of Night by Maberry (he also has a ya series DH loves), several others that aren't coming to mind.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

What a great thread! Gotta go with World War Z as my favourite, and since Margaret Atwood is my no. 1 author since the age of 12, I'll put Oryx and Crake as a close second. I have not read On The Beach either, but I think I'll put it on my list.

I'll throw in Mira Grant's Newsflesh series, because as it turns out, it's the one zombie series I've read that has really stuck with me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I'll throw in Mira Grant's Newsflesh series, because as it turns out, it's the one zombie series I've read that has really stuck with me.
    That's the one I was going to mention. Feed was just addictive. I could not put it down.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I hadn't heard of the Atwood books-- I also love her stuff--gotta go look those up! I think I'm getting my summer reading list out of this thread!
    I agree, World War Z was also excellent....

Favorite post apolcalypse fiction (preferably non-religious apolcalypses)

Most people like Atwood's Handmaid's Tale best - it's her best-known book (in the post-apocalyptic genre).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I've only read a few post apolcalypse books. I read The Stand long ago and thought it started out great but drug on too long and got boring. Recently I've been wanting to re-read it to see if it's better the second time around but can't find my copy. It might have been at my parent's house. I had to read Alas, Babylon in high school and really liked it so I re-read it about once a year.

[mod edit - we don't allow links to competing sites]

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Most people like Atwood's Handmaid's Tale best - it's her best-known book (in the post-apocalyptic genre).
    That I've read (several times, as I used it in my social issues in human reproduction class), but somehow thought it was a "one off" for her re science fiction.

I read it back when I was in HS and really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I've only read a few post apolcalypse books. I read The Stand long ago and thought it started out great but drug on too long and got boring. Recently I've been wanting to re-read it to see if it's better the second time around but can't find my copy. It might have been at my parent's house. I had to read Alas, Babylon in high school and really liked it so I re-read it about once a year.

[mod edit - we don't allow links to competing sites]
    I read The Stand several times and I do remember thinking it went on a bit overlong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast