+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Favorite post apolcalypse fiction (preferably non-religious apolcalypses)

Re: Favorite post apolcalypse fiction (preferably non-religious apolcalypses)

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Just finished On the Beach--it's really haunting me, and yet compared to many of the others it is very low key--maybe that's why. I'm loving this thread--so many good suggestions I haven't read yet, and I'm a fan of the genre.
    I read it ages ago and I know what you mean. It is low key but its a good read.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

this kind of goes in this thread.... the library I work at had an author fair this past weekend. I was so happy to meet Scott Kenemore, author of several zombie novels and an all around nice guy. I highly recommend Zombie Ohio as one of the more interesting zombie/end of the world books I have read.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Absolutely, end of the world via asteroid, World War III, global warming, zombies, you name it, we welcome all!
    libgirl2 likes this.

I just started Earthworm Gods 2: Deluge which is a sequel to Conqueror Worms (originally Earthworm Gods) by Brian Keene. Basically it starts raining and doesn't stop... the world is ending and giant worms are coming out of the ground, add to that sea creatures and ancient demons/gods and you have a very creepy storyline. His work has been called Lovecraftian.

Here are some that come to mind. I don't think I've read any recent ones - definitely no zombies! - so these will all be classics.

Lucifer's Hammer. When I read it, there was actually a comet in the news at that time. Kind of freaked me out a bit, but I loved the book.

I don't know if this is considered post-apolcalypse or not, but Arthur C. Clarke's Against the Fall of Night / The City and the Stars were both favorites. Arthur C. Clarke was my favorite writer, until Randevous with Rama. That was a disappointment, and I felt like it was probably written more by (forgotten the other author's name) than Clarke, because the style was so different. But I digress.

A Boy and His Dog (Harlan Ellison). Enjoyed the movie too.
    The Mote in God's Eye - Larry Niven
    Songs of Distant Earth - Arthur C. Clarke
    Nightfall, Isaac Asimov
    The Nine Billion Names of God (short story), Arthur C. Clarke
    Warday, Whitley Streiber

I know there are others
    Florimel likes this.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

The authors you mention, Misty are all favorites of mine, too, except that I'm unfamiliar with Whitley Streiber. I'll add to my list of favorite science fiction authors Robert Heinlein, Roger Zelazny, Poul Anderson,and Ray Bradbury. Like you, I have others as well.
    Misty8723 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I like those other authors you mentioned as well, with the possible exception of Roger Zelanzny. I've only read one of his (forget the title) and wasn't too crazy about it. But Heinlein, Anderson, and Bradbury are definitely way up there on my list.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I like those other authors you mentioned as well, with the possible exception of Roger Zelanzny. I've only read one of his (forget the title) and wasn't too crazy about it. But Heinlein, Anderson, and Bradbury are definitely way up there on my list.
    All I've read of Zelazny is what made him a favorite of mine, and that would be his Amber series of 10 novels. I guessed you weren't familiar with those books or you'd have recognized my Florimel user name as one of its characters. i found them to be entertaining and quick reads with a unique universe he created. Several years ago, I wrote some fan faction in that genre in an online interactive fiction group.

I also have a special reason for liking Heinlein outside of his talent. Many years ago my son's 7th grade Language Arts classed received an assignment to write a letter to a favorite author. He chose Heinlein. I wasn't even aware of this assignment until several weeks later when I went to my mailbox and there was a reply from Heinlein to my son. He said he usually did not answer that type of mail, but was impresed by my son's use of language and that he had not asked Heinlein for anything. I thought that was a really nice thing to do for a young child.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    All I've read of Zelazny is what made him a favorite of mine, and that would be his Amber series of 10 novels. I guessed you weren't familiar with those books or you'd have recognized my Florimel user name as one of its characters. i found them to be entertaining and quick reads with a unique universe he created. Several years ago, I wrote some fan faction in that genre in an online interactive fiction group.

I also have a special reason for liking Heinlein outside of his talent. Many years ago my son's 7th grade Language Arts classed received an assignment to write a letter to a favorite author. He chose Heinlein. I wasn't even aware of this assignment until several weeks later when I went to my mailbox and there was a reply from Heinlein to my son. He said he usually did not answer that type of mail, but was impresed by my son's use of language and that he had not asked Heinlein for anything. I thought that was a really nice thing to do for a young child.
    You're correct that I wasn't aware of Zelanzy's Amber series - but I now have them on my list to explore. I read one of his books ages ago when I was in school (maybe his first novel? For the life of me I can't remember the title), and didn't care for it at all, so I just stopped looking at his books in general.

What a cool thing for Heinlein to have done for your son! That had to have been very exciting for him to receive that letter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123