+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Favorite post apolcalypse fiction (preferably non-religious apolcalypses)

Re: Favorite post apolcalypse fiction (preferably non-religious apolcalypses)

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I read The Stand several times and I do remember thinking it went on a bit overlong.
    Really? I was thrilled when Mr. Rattus surprised me (decades ago) with a copy of the writer's cut edition - even more post-apocalyptic fun.

Just re-read Swan Song for maybe the fifth time, and am now heading into the Kobo store to buy a few of the books I've read mention of above, starting with Thomas Disch. Seems that Kim-Jong Un has put me into an end-of-times mood.
    waywyrd and libgirl2 like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Really? I was thrilled when Mr. Rattus surprised me (decades ago) with a copy of the writer's cut edition - even more post-apocalyptic fun.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I loved The Stand (I have read it double digit times), but I liked the first part of the book more then the second.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I left out The Stand on purpose, even though I own a copy and have read it more than once. As post-apocalyptic fiction goes, it wasn't a favourite of mine - and I'm a King fan. I also ended up really disliking his Gunslinger series, which is set post-apocalypse as well.

I did grab a copy of On The Beach at the library, looking forward to starting it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm in the middle of On the Beach--SO laid back compared to other post apoc. fiction! The world is coming to an end and no one is digging a shelter, hoarding canned goods, shooting their neighbors! Very 50's mores--you have to recall when it was written--1963 was the "future" and the women's movement hadn't happened. Must have been kind of shocking then. But despite all that I dreamt about it last night! You'd think it would be the zombie fiction, but no... So in short, good.

Adding several books from this thread to my "to read" list...

I'd like to add Justin Cronin's The Passage and Hugh Howey's Wool series to the favorites in this thread. Good stuff.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post

I'd like to add Justin Cronin's The Passage and Hugh Howey's Wool series to the favorites in this thread. Good stuff.
    Oh, I have had Wool on hold at the library since forever. I think I've battled my way up to 16th in line on 2 copies.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

It's not post-apocalypse in the traditional sense of the genre (I don't think, since its a spin on a classic Jane Austen and takes place on a different world) but I really enjoyed Diana Peterfreund's For Darkness Shows the Stars.

For sheer power, I'd add Cormac McCarthy's The Road. I could not put that book down. Haunting and awful and just hypnotic. I read an article about it where the writer was talking about how it felt like, if you put the book down, the characters would die. I understood that because I felt the same way.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post

I'd like to add Justin Cronin's The Passage
    DH loved its premise but thought it became overlong in the middle and gave up on it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Just finished On the Beach--it's really haunting me, and yet compared to many of the others it is very low key--maybe that's why. I'm loving this thread--so many good suggestions I haven't read yet, and I'm a fan of the genre.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast