+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for Book Title Based on Description :)

elk

Looking for Book Title Based on Description :)

Hi Guys,
    Can anyone help me with the title of this book?

It is an historical novel set in Europe and is about a cook and his apprentice. The apprentice (female) disguises herself as a boy to take the job since the kitchen is filled only with men. The cook discovers the apprentice's secret and shields her from discovery. There was also a sequel where the two travel to the new world. The 2nd book was significantly interior to the first. I seem to remember the young lady having long red hair...

Anyway, I've been giving myself migraines trying to remember the title and was hoping the good people (and fellow avid readers) could help me out. I would be so grateful!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Looking for Book Title Based on Description :)

I'm not familiar with the book but I've been searching the internet with your description. Does this sound like it?

In the musty attic of an upstate New York house, a woman finds a clasped box, hidden away for over a century. Inside, wrapped in cambric and tied with a green ribbon, is an old manuscript written by a girl dreaming of a better life, fighting for survival, and coming of age in a time of chaos and danger. This wondrously told tale is a stirring adventure set in nineteenth-century England, a novel of rich history and vibrant imagination.

Amid the lush fields and gardens of an English estate, in a kitchen where every meal is a sumptuous feast, a young servant called Paddy anxiously hides her true identity. Using coal soot and grease, she conceals her flaming head of red hair and covers her body, desperate to keep the job she needs to survive. But the girl, whose real name is Mina, cannot conceal from herself the pain of her past or the beauty of an Ireland she remembers with love and grief—until she meets a man who convinces her to trust him, a man hiding sorrows of his own.

To the mysterious Mr. Serle—the estate’s skilled and quiet chef—Mina dares to confess her true identity and reveal a shattered past: her flight from the blighted fields of her homeland to the teeming streets of Liverpool...her memories of the family she lost and dreams for the future. And as Mina and Mr. Serle begin to know each other, an extraordinary journey begins—a journey of faith and identity, adventure and awakening, that will alter the course of both their lives.

Mina: Amazon.ca: Jonatha Ceely: Books

There's a sequel called Bread and Dreams.
    elk likes this.

elk

Oh, Pikachu, thank you! I've been looking for months, and I am sure this is the one. You are my hero!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Those reviews sound interesting--too bad it isn't available for my Kindle! I was surprised to find several very different books with the same title, Mina---not that common a name!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Impressed that you found it (I looked a bit, too). Wish it were available on Kindle!

I just checked and it IS available on Kindle. My amazon favorites link is set to kindle, so maybe you need to select Kindle before you type it in.
    Mina: Jonatha Ceely: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 11-27-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Huh! so it is. Usually when you go to Amazon it tells you all the options available. I've bought it!

elk

Let me know what you think of it, PWS. I know I enjoyed it the first time I read it. A similar book is "The Book of Unholy Mischief" by Elle Newmark.

Thanks again, Pikachu, I bought both books for my Kobo.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Will do-- I love FORT and all its readers/writers! Gotten so many good things from here!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just wanted to let you folks know - I got "Mina" by Jonatha Ceely from the library (sometimes, you just NEED to hold a real book again). I'm just past the Page 100 mark, and thoroughly enjoying it! Thanks for the referral!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast