+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for Book Title Based on Description :)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Looking for Book Title Based on Description :)

I just finished it last week also--very enjoyable read. Very interesting as I'm reading some other fiction set in the same era, with the same discussion of efforts at overthrowing the government, creating an Italian/German state, etc. (e.g., some of the Monk detective novels), and they are feeding into each other so nicely I'm getting quite a view of Europe in that era. Going to try the sequel shortly. Thanks, elk!

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

elk

Finished Mina over the weekend on a birthday trip to Vegas . . . really enjoyed it! Unfortunately, my library doesn't even have the sequel ("Bread and Dreams"), so I'm going to order it for my Kindle. I'll wait until next week, though, as I'm expecting an Amazon gift card from Santa.

AZC

This is so aggravating because it's on my Kindle and I can't figure out which one it is... a Russian woman with 2 daughters is cold to them both, but tells them stories and has a garden she loves to sit in in winter. One daughter is a photographer in war zones, the other one is a mom and lives next door and helps with the family business. During the course of the story you find out about the mother's early life in Russia and reasons for her coldness.
    I'm pretty sure I found out about it here.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Gutmutter: This sounds like it might be it.

Here's a link to someone else looking for it and her answer--Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah.

What's The Name of That Book??? - Adult Fiction-SOLVED: Cold Distant Russian Mother Tells her Grown American Daughters Tragic Story about her Life under Lenin(?) in Russia [s] (showing 1-2 of 2)

And here's a link to Amazon for a description of the book.

Winter Garden: Kristin Hannah: Amazon.com: Books
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    This is so aggravating because it's on my Kindle and I can't figure out which one it is... a Russian woman with 2 daughters is cold to them both, but tells them stories and has a garden she loves to sit in in winter. One daughter is a photographer in war zones, the other one is a mom and lives next door and helps with the family business. During the course of the story you find out about the mother's early life in Russia and reasons for her coldness.
    I'm pretty sure I found out about it here.
    I think pikachu probably has the right book, but it also sounds like Marilyn French's Her Mother's Daughter. I didn't read pikachu's book but I can recommend the Marilyn French book.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Thank you! It was Winter Garden, and it's not on my Kindle. I must have listened to an audio book of it from the library.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12