+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

  1. #1
    FORT Newbie amanda007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    19

    What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    The books that are mostly available right now are vampire novels, what would you prefer to see more of on book shelves? i honestly do not know what i am missing. i am currently going back to old books to see if these will enlighten me. ;helpme
    Last edited by Critical; 08-06-2011 at 01:52 AM.

  2. #2
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,135

    Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    I work peripherally in the book business and I can tell you there are hundreds (no, thousands) of books published every year that have nothing to do with vampires or the supernatural. I get at least 100 books a year from various publishers and almost none of them have anything to do with that world. The problem is that the genre books get more attention. The truth is that there are so many great, well-written and interesting books being published, but they don't get promoted because there are people who want to read about vamps, even if the books are crap and bookstores seem to focus only on that.... or, more accurately, bookstores basically receive payola in the form of specialized displays and promotional stuff to put those books front and center.

    Sign up for publisher emails about new releases - Random House always has terrific stuff, as do many others, including Penguin and Macmillan. I search Amazon and get recommendations ("people who bought this book also bought these books...", etc.) and check out their new releases page. Check out all the great books our members are reading in the What Are You Reading? thread.

    ETA: goodreads.com has TONS of good suggestions, as well as a monthly e-newsletter with lots of new releases.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-06-2011 at 03:14 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  3. #3
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    I second the recommendation to read the "What are you reading" thread. Due to discussions within, I have read The Passage (to be fair, that one was about vampires and I didn't love it), Water for Elephants (pretty good, not great), The Help (great - really loved it), The Hunger Games (first book really good, second two somewhat less so), The Historian (hated it - at least the amount that I read), and so on. I have waiting on my Kobo The Dry Grass of AUgust and Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, both of which I read about here. I also have The Queen of Palmyra, which I picked up based on a recommendation from the woman who wrote The Dry Grass of August, and In the Garden of Beasts, primarily because I loved another book by the same author, but in part because someone here (Critical maybe?) reading it reminded me to pick it up.

    I also find the book reviews in my local paper and the NY Times to be a useful source. What I do with their recommendations is head on over to Amazon and read the negative reviews as I find that to be more helpful than the positives. If the negative reviews tend overall to be angry and semi-literate, there is a fair-to-middling change I will enjoy the book. If the negatives tend to be rational and well thought-out, and there are a lot of negatives, there is a pretty chance that I'm going to give it a miss.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  4. #4
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,135

    Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I second the recommendation to read the "What are you reading" thread. Due to discussions within, I have read The Passage (to be fair, that one was about vampires and I didn't love it), Water for Elephants (pretty good, not great), The Help (great - really loved it), The Hunger Games (first book really good, second two somewhat less so), The Historian (hated it - at least the amount that I read), and so on. I have waiting on my Kobo The Dry Grass of AUgust and Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, both of which I read about here. I also have The Queen of Palmyra, which I picked up based on a recommendation from the woman who wrote The Dry Grass of August, and In the Garden of Beasts, primarily because I loved another book by the same author, but in part because someone here (Critical maybe?) reading it reminded me to pick it up.

    I also find the book reviews in my local paper and the NY Times to be a useful source. What I do with their recommendations is head on over to Amazon and read the negative reviews as I find that to be more helpful than the positives. If the negative reviews tend overall to be angry and semi-literate, there is a fair-to-middling change I will enjoy the book. If the negatives tend to be rational and well thought-out, and there are a lot of negatives, there is a pretty chance that I'm going to give it a miss.
    I would add that if there are a lot of 1 and 5-star reviews and the 5-star reviews are WAY too gushy. I read a book a few years ago that was SO bad that I actually left a 1-star review (they don't let you leave the zero-star one!) on Amazon. There were also a fair number of 5-star reviews that were clearly left by the author's friends and colleagues....or at least I hope that was the case. I can't imagine that anyone actually enjoyed that book.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  5. #5
    runs with scissors waywyrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    21,684

    Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Check out all the great books our members are reading in the What Are You Reading? thread.
    I've gotten a ton of good recommendations from that thread, with many more on my "to read" list. And like Rattus, I get some from my local Sunday paper when they review a bunch of new releases.

    As far as this thread title, I have no preference on what genre I want written. I read a little of everything, depending on my mood: non-fiction, fiction, historical, horror, autobiographies, the occasional romance, and yes, vamp books. Mainly the Charlaine Harris series.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

  6. #6
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,857

    Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    There was just an article in the newspaper this morning indicating that the public library has a new service called Book-o-matic. You e-mail the titles of the last three books you've read to the library's site and get back recommendations for books you might enjoy based on what you've read. The recommendations come from an actual local librarian. It's free, of course. I'll be curious to see how much interest is shown in the service. Personally, I'd just rather browse on my own.

    What would I like to be written? More adult fiction that isn't about someone who's recently divorced, in the midst of a middle-aged crisis (or both) who's trying to find him/herself. More dog books for adults where the dog doesn't die at the end of the book (Susan Conant has managed to keep Holly Winter's malamutes alive through nineteen books now, and I appreciate that). More books that are legitimately funny that aren't just "joke" books.

    I'll really read just about anything, though. The last three books I've read are Garson Kanin's A Hell of an Actor (novel about nineteenth century American theatre), Howard Bahr's The Black Flower, about the Battle of Franklin (Civil War fiction) and Susan Conant's Brute Strength (a dog lover's mystery). They basically have nothing in common, and I liked them all.

    Maybe I should try the Book-o-matic thing. The librarians would likely have a hard time figuring out my reading preferences based on what I've read recently.

  7. #7
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,357

    Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    There was just an article in the newspaper this morning indicating that the public library has a new service called Book-o-matic. You e-mail the titles of the last three books you've read to the library's site and get back recommendations for books you might enjoy based on what you've read. The recommendations come from an actual local librarian. It's free, of course. I'll be curious to see how much interest is shown in the service. Personally, I'd just rather browse on my own.
    Kind of like Amazon does when you search a title? It says something like "people who bought XXX also bought XYZ and ZYX"? It's a pretty smart tool...I know it's made me take a look at a title I might not have otherwise.

    I'm a Clive Barker fan, and I would love it if a similarly talented writer would take on his brand of horror/fantasy. I read a ton of horror novels, and 98% are the blood 'n' guts equivalent of Harlequin romances. I fear his work is getting lost in a sea of vampire/werewolf Meyer-wannabes. (Note - Barker's Arabat series is written for young adults. My 12-year-old loved the first 2 books and we are both eagerly anticipating the 3rd that was supposed to be published ages ago. It's a very different series from Twilight and Hunger Games, but so worth checking out. It's long on fantasy and short on horror - it's the story of an unhappy young teen who finds herself in the midst of an incredible alternate world, where she finds some amazing friends and makes some terrifying enemies. Barker's illustrations are included throughout the books and are as creepy and cool as the writing.)
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  8. #8
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,857

    Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Kind of like Amazon does when you search a title? It says something like "people who bought XXX also bought XYZ and ZYX"? It's a pretty smart tool...I know it's made me take a look at a title I might not have otherwise.

    I'm a Clive Barker fan, and I would love it if a similarly talented writer would take on his brand of horror/fantasy. I read a ton of horror novels, and 98% are the blood 'n' guts equivalent of Harlequin romances. I fear his work is getting lost in a sea of vampire/werewolf Meyer-wannabes. (Note - Barker's Arabat series is written for young adults. My 12-year-old loved the first 2 books and we are both eagerly anticipating the 3rd that was supposed to be published ages ago. It's a very different series from Twilight and Hunger Games, but so worth checking out. It's long on fantasy and short on horror - it's the story of an unhappy young teen who finds herself in the midst of an incredible alternate world, where she finds some amazing friends and makes some terrifying enemies. Barker's illustrations are included throughout the books and are as creepy and cool as the writing.)

    Something like that, though the article stressed that they were trying to make it as personal a service as possible, by having a librarian do multiple searches for you to get you suggestions. And, of course, the library isn't trying to sell you any books.

  9. #9
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,135

    Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Something like that, though the article stressed that they were trying to make it as personal a service as possible, by having a librarian do multiple searches for you to get you suggestions. And, of course, the library isn't trying to sell you any books.
    They're just trying to sell you on books!

    I'd also recommend a local independent bookseller. There aren't too many left, but the ones that are still kicking are staffed by book lovers who love to make recommendations.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  10. #10
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

    Quote Originally Posted by tilden
    There was just an article in the newspaper this morning indicating that the public library has a new service called Book-o-matic. You e-mail the titles of the last three books you've read to the library's site and get back recommendations for books you might enjoy based on what you've read.
    There's an online (free) service that does this: YourNextRead: Book Recommendations (USA)

    Type in a book or author you have read (or are interested in reading), and a list of other books you may be interested in is populated. You can save the lists.

    I've used this site for a couple of years and like it.

    I like fiction that qualifies as literature best. Someone once defined it this way: You lose yourself in fiction. You find yourself in literature.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.