+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    South Dakota
    THanks, Tilden.
    You guys are very fortunate to have such a service.
    Out here, they keep cutting the funding.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    THanks, Tilden.
    You guys are very fortunate to have such a service.
    Out here, they keep cutting the funding.
    Oh, believe me. There's plenty of cost cutting going on around here too. I think some groups (teachers, librarians etc.) try to do the best they can in spite of it--which, unfortunately, probably hurts them in the long run, as it encourages those in charge to think they can make do with less and still succeed.

Of course it also helps that South Dakota isn't exactly the most heavily populated place--the librarians in larger cities would probably be far more overwhelmed with requests.

Great thread! Let me think, what type of book would I prefer to be written? Well, around this time of year (fall comes early in Scandinavia, so I'm already in full autumnal mode!), I would LOVE a big, absorbig, flawlessly written, and atmospheric Gothic read that resonates with the great 19th century Gothic novels (Jane Eyre, for example). Think The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfeld. Yep, would love to read more books like that. Oh, and more well-written, genuinely creepy horror! I would love a new, young Stephen King or Peter Straub for the 21st century and it would be awesome if said person was a woman.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

thank you geek the girl, for sticking to my point of what type of books you would prefer to be written it was not a stab at any of the books out now i love vampire books i just wondered if there was something out there that people would love to arouse their passions with. seriously i would love to be able to write like Stephen king, man he rocks my world.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I used to like reading the Trixie Belden series. I don't know if there are any current series like it. I don't think a good story needs a way-out theme, like vampires and dragons. Sometimes it's fun just to read about kids being kids.

I would like more books with the same quality of writing and plot as George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. I have no interest in vampires, but I like fantasy, I like good writing, and I like a good plot that isn't predictable in how it will turn out.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I, and my kids, both love SF that is either the post apolcalypse type or the world somewhat similar to ours but with one crucial difference (e.g., Left Hand of Darkness, where humans are mostly sex neutral, but periodically go into kemmer [like heat in an animal] and may become either male or female...not always the same from one kemmer to the next. Lovely exploration of all the implications of that on a society). I can think of a number of individual examples of this (see LHoD above), but not surprisingly they are all "one offs"....rarely a series like The Hunger Games, and often the only one of that kind by that author... so I tend to just stumble on them thanks to recommendations of friends (aka FORT, my RL friends don't or don't admit to reading SF)) or my kids. That's why I like series like Sookie... somewhat the same idea.
    So I wish there were more of these kinds of books, not just using vamps and werewolves, which I think have not been really worked over, thanks in part to FORT's own spegs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    If the negative reviews tend overall to be angry and semi-literate, there is a fair-to-middling change I will enjoy the book. If the negatives tend to be rational and well thought-out, and there are a lot of negatives, there is a pretty chance that I'm going to give it a miss.
    I pay attention to reviews, especially those portions of reviews included on the cover or inside the cover of books, because I tend to suck up books where I happen to be standing, not too much prior thought involved.

What interest me with reviews as a buying, or culling determinant is as much about who is saying what, as what is being said.

Not speaking of books, but same difference, I've found over time that when Rex Reed, for example gushes about a flick, it's not most likely to reside at the top of my likes. Historical record is something worth considering when making a decision over several seconds.

When reviewers I admire, particularly authors, say nice things about a title within their realm, I take notice.

When Oprah gushes about something, I have a knee-jerk reaction to back away. When Stephen King says for the thousandth time, it seems, that this is the best thing he's ever encountered, I wonder how much he makes from this particular sideline of his money making empire.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123