+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

Re: What type of books would you prefer to be written?

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    There's an online (free) service that does this: YourNextRead: Book Recommendations (USA)

Type in a book or author you have read (or are interested in reading), and a list of other books you may be interested in is populated. You can save the lists.
    Okay, I typed in The Slap, which is one of the books on my Kobo that I'll be reading after I finish The Psychopath Test, and it came up with an assortment of books about playing hockey or the bass. I'll have to give it an A for effort, but an F for intuitiveness
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Okay, I typed in The Slap, which is one of the books on my Kobo that I'll be reading after I finish The Psychopath Test, and it came up with an assortment of books about playing hockey or the bass. I'll have to give it an A for effort, but an F for intuitiveness
    OK, I think you did something wrong. You type something in the search field, enter, then click on the book you are interested in on the first list that comes up (Like "The Slap"). When you click on it, your list of similar reads populates.

I typed in "The Slap," picked it on the resulting list, and this is what I got:

Purge by Sofi Oksanen
    Glass Room by Simon Mawer
    Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue
    Freedom: A Novel by Jonathan Franzen
    How to Paint a Dead Man by Sarah Hall
    After the Fire a Still, Small Voice by Evie Wyld
    The Canal by Lee Rourke
    An Evening of Long Good-byes by Paul Murray

ETA: There are separate options in a pop-up menu for each book on the list, including reviews, when you cursor over it.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 08-11-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Okay, yep, missed a step . I'm going to blame that on being distracted by my boss, who was IMing me to meet with her for my annual review, in which I received a "Significantly Exceeded Expections", which is hard to believe considering I just screwed up one easy to use website .

ETA: I just noticed that there's a Paul Murray book on the recommendations list. I've never read him, but I have a Paul Murray book (Skippy Dies) on my to-be-purchased list. Alrighty then, I'm impressed.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Okay, yep, missed a step . I'm going to blame that on being distracted by my boss, who was IMing me to meet with her for my annual review, in which I received a "Significantly Exceeded Expections", which is hard to believe considering I just screwed up one easy to use website .
    Congratulations on your annual review, Rattus!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    There was just an article in the newspaper this morning indicating that the public library has a new service called Book-o-matic. You e-mail the titles of the last three books you've read to the library's site and get back recommendations for books you might enjoy based on what you've read. The recommendations come from an actual local librarian. It's free, of course. I'll be curious to see how much interest is shown in the service. Personally, I'd just rather browse on my own.

What would I like to be written? More adult fiction that isn't about someone who's recently divorced, in the midst of a middle-aged crisis (or both) who's trying to find him/herself. More dog books for adults where the dog doesn't die at the end of the book (Susan Conant has managed to keep Holly Winter's malamutes alive through nineteen books now, and I appreciate that). More books that are legitimately funny that aren't just "joke" books.

I'll really read just about anything, though. The last three books I've read are Garson Kanin's A Hell of an Actor (novel about nineteenth century American theatre), Howard Bahr's The Black Flower, about the Battle of Franklin (Civil War fiction) and Susan Conant's Brute Strength (a dog lover's mystery). They basically have nothing in common, and I liked them all.

Maybe I should try the Book-o-matic thing. The librarians would likely have a hard time figuring out my reading preferences based on what I've read recently.
    I think I like that Book-o-matic thing.......maybe i could try that!
    well as for me...I want to read books with more featured dogs!....

What part of the country do you all live in? WE don't have book - o - matic. I wish we did.
    It sounds perfect.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    What part of the country do you all live in? WE don't have book - o - matic. I wish we did.
    It sounds perfect.
    South Dakota

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by autum View Post
    I think I like that Book-o-matic thing.......maybe i could try that!
    well as for me...I want to read books with more featured dogs!....
    Have you tried Susan Conant's dog lovers mystery series? Her nineteenth in the series, Brute Strength, just came out. I don't normally read mysteries, but I like hers. Dog trainer Carol Lea Benjamin has written a couple of dog mysteries as well, but I prefer Conant's books. She works all sorts of aspects of the dog world into her books--therapy dogs, assistance dogs, dog shows, obedience trials, puppy mills, dog camps etc. Her main character is a free lance writer for dog magazines, which gives her a natural way to work all sorts of dog-related topics into her books. Plus, Conant's perfectly capable of being funny and her dogs are good, not perfect, dogs.

Thank you critical
    i already am a member of goodreads.com but i will definitely check out the what are you reading? thread and i completely forgot about amazons recommendations. I have nothing against vampires or the supernatural but i just wanted something more so i could lose myself in the fantasy of it. my sister thinks i should get into mills and boons, I'm not too sure about them.
    Ive just been on the what are you reading post and i have already been on there, there are just so many threads to read through i forgot which ones i had looked at.
    Last edited by amanda007; 08-23-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Thank you all
    You have definitely given me a lot to look over and a lot of books ideas to read. i guess the only real way i will know what will work is by reading as many different books as possible.
    thank you all again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast