+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games Triology

LG.

The Hunger Games Triology

I was thinking that there would already be a thread here, as these books have been out a couple years now, but who else has read Suzanne Collins' triology of books, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay? I bought the first book 2 weeks ago, and my daughter grabbed it before I could start, but then my husband snuck it away from her and read it in one day, so then I read it (and gave it back to said daughter, who is a slower reader, and I'm not entirely sure that she will be up to the content, as she turns 11 in a week).

My hubby loves post-apocolyptic books and movies, so he devoured all three books in less than a week. I just finished Mockingjay last night. I've been avoiding any potential spoilers while working on finishing the books, but now that I'm done, I want to dissect them.

Anyway, thoughts on the Hunger Games. I've heard that they are making a movie of at least the first book, and that Woody Harrelson is going to play Haymitch.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Re: The Hunger Games Triology

My daughter is the same age and she has read all three. I keep meaning to pick them up and read them myself but she checked them out of her English teacher's classroom library. I think it is kind of intense subject matter but depending on the kid they could be ready for it. She and her friends talk about the books a lot - I think they're working on a comic fan fiction of these stories even. It really resonated with them.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I just read them a few months ago---great series. I thought the first one was the best, in terms of setting up a believable alternative society--I'm also a big fan of post apoc novels (in the non-religious sense of apoc), and thought this was an excellent example. It got pretty grim by the end, for a kid, but I'm not sure how you could "just read one". And it followed fairly logically ... good in some sense for kids to realize that in war some of one's "friends" will die, not a pretty version of conflict or the choices that get made.

I read all 3 in 2 days, although I'll admit I skimmed through a lot of the third one.
    Count your blessings!

I'm currently reading these. I'm about halfway through the 2nd book. I cant put it down. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this series so far. I'm on the part where they just loaded Katniss on the train for the Quarter Quell. I have to admit, I didnt see that coming.

I havent liked a series this much since Twilight.

MRD

I read them last year and loved them.
    Thought it was interesting about government control.
    I heard they may make them into movies.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The movie is cast and in production, for release March 2012.

The Hunger Games (2012) - IMDb

I don't know the younger actors, but check out the cast list further down - Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci, Lenny Kravitz (!!).

Absolutely loved this series, best of the "young adult" genre by far. My 12-year-old also loved them. I was 100% fine with the subject matter - violent at times, yes, but written with compassion. I would sooner give these books to a tween/preteen than hand them a first-person-shooter video game.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

LG.

I have read that they are making a movie of the first book right now, and I think Woody Harrelson as Haymitch should be interesting. Haymitch is a more complicated character than you see at first blush, but not sure how much of that is developed in the first book. I thought the casting of the young leads was odd because they cast blondes as Katniss and Gale and a brunette as Peeta - wigs or dye jobs all around folks. I love the idea of Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, but haven't seen him act in anything since he did a guest star stint on the Cosby Show when he was dating Lisa Bonet - so that was a while ago.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I read that they are going to make 4 movies out of the 3 books. :rolleyes Someone is getting greedy before they even shoot the 1st movie!

I really liked the books and I hope the movies will be good. I hope they don't try to sugarcoat any of the bad things that happen to Katniss and her companions.

Since I moved my commute has gone from 20 mins each way to over an hour each way …needless to say I’ve been reading a lot more, don’t worry tho I take the train lol! I just picked up the first book in the series after reading about it on here, looking forward to starting it on the way home today. I’ve been going through books really fast this month and have high hopes for this one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast