+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games Triology

Re: The Hunger Games Triology

I was not happy with some of the casting choices (Peeta is way too short for me!), but some were dead on- Haymitch and Cinna were perfect! The characters and scenery in my imagination were more powerful than the movie, but I usually enjoy books more than the movies. To me, movies are a nice supplement to my imagination after I have read the books!
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 05-12-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
    AZChristian likes this.

FORT Fogey

Finished Mockingjay, and now looking forward to books 2 & 3 on the big screen. I actually appreciate the on-screen Peeta more now that I've read all three books. While Josh Hutcherson is not physically Peeta at all, he captures the soul of Peeta perfectly. I can now see why he was cast for the role.

At the end of the book series I was left a bit melancholy because Katniss endured so much, but still lost Prim. In fact, she lost so many people in her life whether to death or personal cirumstances, it's really quite tragic. The most jarring moment for me in the entire series, is when she realizes she has to go back to the Games. That was an awful moment! Glad she survived it all, and eventually built a free life for herself.
    Cootie likes this.

I like Josh Hutcherson as an actor, but I did not think he fits the role. I've enjoyed his other movies, but I feel he needs to be "stronger" for HG. I also think that Jennifer Lawrence is a bit tall and Amazonian for Katniss. In the book, I pictured her shorter but still strong. JMHO!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I really wish this wasn't written in first person. I would like to read it, but I detest first person writing.
    Wow....that eliminates SO many great fun books and a lot of great literature. What is it that rules those out for you? You didn't read Catcher in the Rye as a kid? Well, HG is definitely first person...maybe you can get a Kindle copy and have it edit "Katniss" in every time it says "I"? Or is it that you don't like knowing a character's thoughts? Well, guess this is not a discussion for this thread....

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Wow....that eliminates SO many great fun books and a lot of great literature. What is it that rules those out for you? You didn't read Catcher in the Rye as a kid? Well, HG is definitely first person...maybe you can get a Kindle copy and have it edit "Katniss" in every time it says "I"? Or is it that you don't like knowing a character's thoughts? Well, guess this is not a discussion for this thread....

I avoided these books in part because they are written in first person. A lot of books are written in first person I know but I strongly prefer the all knowing third-person point of view with a focus on 1 or 2 characters. A good writer can still give you pertinent thoughts but I don't need a stead stream of thought dialog as I tend to see in first person writing.

Loved this series....read the first one due to the "hype" of the movie ( I prefer to READ before WATCHING)...then had to hunt out the other two so I could continue..I had to know how it would all end!...I am not sure I will watch the movies...I, like many of you, form my own images of what the character would look like and most times (aside form the "Harry Potter series")...find that movies never quite match up.

I found the second book to be the best..and the third, although difficult to read through, (I must admit I "fast forwarded" through some chapters)....was necessary to bring the story to a close.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post

I avoided these books in part because they are written in first person. A lot of books are written in first person I know but I strongly prefer the all knowing third-person point of view with a focus on 1 or 2 characters. A good writer can still give you pertinent thoughts but I don't need a stead stream of thought dialog as I tend to see in first person writing.
    I can understand your sentiment..but I think in this case..the story needed to be told through Katniss's voice....I often felt as though I was living it with her...great writing!

I have to say I thought the first book was fantastic, second one pretty decent, the last one....well, let's just say it reminded me of breaking dawn which i did not find to be a good book at all

but, i will see the movie just because i read the books, my one friend had told me the rest of the series didn't live up to the first book and she was right imo

Click to see Spoiler:
    When Prim died it just didn't sit well with me, all that for nothing....i think if the writer wanted a shocking death they should have killed off Gale.....which i HATED how his character just disappeared in the end....it felt like a cop-out to get katniss with peeta bread at the end

I've read the trilogy 3 times and thought the same as your spoiler the first read-through. But after fully grogging the whole experience, I feel differently now. She needed to stand on her own two feet, make a difference, and chose to be where she was.
    Count your blessings!

I have heard that from others, that when the read it again they felt differently.....maybe someday I will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast