+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games Triology

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: The Hunger Games Triology

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I loved that she killed Coin, but I was VERY irritated by Prim's death. IMO it was so convoluted for her even being in that place to be killed. I could get on board with most stuff, even when I hated the deaths, (like Finnick's) but Prim's still bothers me as it seemed so out of place.
    I thought the same thing but I think Prim's death got her thinking about what Snow said (about Prim's having to be approved to be on that hovercraft) and then Coin's idea of putting on Games with the Capitol's children helped her realize that Coin would be the same as Snow and someone who had no qualms using her family against her. I think Prim had to die for her to get to that line of thinking. (Just speculating)
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I thought the same thing but I think Prim's death got her thinking about what Snow said (about Prim's having to be approved to be on that hovercraft) and then Coin's idea of putting on Games with the Capitol's children helped her realize that Coin would be the same as Snow and someone who had no qualms using her family against her. I think Prim had to die for her to get to that line of thinking. (Just speculating)
    I can see what you are saying, but I think there could have been a different way. Maybe a different nurse that was close to her and had helped her get better? That might not have quite the same effect, but Cinna's death did make a difference to her. That could have started the ball rolling and then all the other stuff that she was figuring out about Coin could have kept the ball rolling. She is getting older and has been through so much at this point: disillusions, and pain, and loss.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Movie is out this month--see the discussion starting under movies.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I can see what you are saying, but I think there could have been a different way. Maybe a different nurse that was close to her and had helped her get better? That might not have quite the same effect, but Cinna's death did make a difference to her. That could have started the ball rolling and then all the other stuff that she was figuring out about Coin could have kept the ball rolling. She is getting older and has been through so much at this point: disillusions, and pain, and loss.
    I have to admit I didn't like Prim dying, but I think it was necessary for her to choose Peeta. Otherwise, she would always wonder. That was the final nail in the coffin to show (i) that her and Gale were too different; and (ii) that it was Peeta who she couldn't live without. Just my two cents.

Kiz

I would have never started the series on my own, but it was my book club selection (only The Hunger Games). Parts were very hard to handle. I'm a softie, especially when it comes to children, and boy, the games were heart wrenching. I ended up reading the series, one book after the other though, and I actually found I liked the story (much to my surprise) and obviously admired Katniss' grit.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I really wish this wasn't written in first person. I would like to read it, but I detest first person writing.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

I am in the middle of book 2, and I can't put it down! Saw the movie last week, and want to see everything that happens in Panem. I'm completely hooked.
    AZChristian likes this.

I just finished Mockingjay today. I was so sad that Finnick died; I was so worried for Annie! As far as Prim's death, unfortunately, I had peeked on this board for a quick second a week ago, so I knew it was coming (no peeking!). I still don't know how I feel about it, though. In the books, I was Team Peeta from the very beginning. But in the movie, I am not so sure. I did not think there was enough depth In the characters on screen to want Katniss to choose Peeta. We'll see how the other films flesh out I suppose.

I had not heard of the books proior to the release of the movie. When I heard the premise for the movie I was appalled and thought it horrible to gear a movie towards 12-18 year olds that included these same age groups killing each other. I purchased the first book just to get up to speed and see what the fuss was about....Needless to say I was hooked after the first chapter, went our and purchased the additonal 2 and finished last night.

I, like others here, prefer to read the books create my own images and characters. I am not sure I will see the movies, although I may give in once they are on DVD or "on demand" tv. Although I am not one to generally enjoy stories about post apocolyptic times, I enjoyed the series and found myself thinking about the plight of these characters and the dynamics of poverty, government, and media sensation that combined to make this series so captivating.

I may have to sneak over to the "movie" thread and see what buzz there is comparing the books to movie.

Happy Reading to all...

I think you might find yourself pleasantly surprised by the movie. Is it exactly the book? No. They had to edit out characters and some events, but I think it's a pretty faithful adaptation or at least as much of one as any movie can be. It's just the nature of movies that they couldn't include everything.

I normally always like the book better, and that's still the case here, but I really enjoyed the movie too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast