+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games Triology

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: The Hunger Games Triology

Quote Originally Posted by LG. View Post
    I have a couple questions though based somewhat on relying on Katniss' thoughts for narration - what happens to Joanna in the end? Joanna is like Haymitch in that she didn't have anyone left after becoming a victor. Also, not that it really matters, but which leg did Peeta lose? It was amazing (or some could say, unrealistic) that he had so very few problems with it in all the physically demanding things he did after the 74th hunger games. They were running through the Capitol sewers, dancing at formal balls (during the Victory Tour), he was proposing on one knee, and not to mention the swimming involved in the 75th hunger games. A testament to the incredible medical resources they had in the Capitol (and the unfairness that people in the Districts where dying from completely treatable conditions). Makes you wonder how the former Capitol residents like Effie Trinkett (who survived) fared in the post-revolution era. Let's hope the odds were ever in her favor. Which reminds me, the other thing I liked about Katniss' narration is that once it was all over, she was living in District 12, hanging out with Peeta, Haymitch, Greasy Sae, etc., she wasn't thinking about Gale. She didn't dwell on him. She had a rather long period of her life where she juggled her feelings for two guys, but once Gale was out, he was really out of the picture. It will be interesting to see if they stick with this point of view / narration for the movies, which usually have a more omnipresent feeling. Maybe we'd find out how someone else was feeling without them having to tell Katniss.
    I assumed that Joanna got a job in the Capitol or maybe her district government.
    As for Peeta - I don't remember if they said which leg it was - but as for the swimming - Finnick had to go out to and get him at the beginning of the 75th games.

I've finished the books. They kept me enthralled all the way through. I was happy with Katniss ending up with Peeta. He was my choice for her since book 1. When Finnick died I had an outburst 'I didn't want him to go' but I understood it. However, I really didn't like what happened with Prim. It seemed such an odd thing to me. It seemed thrown in there and unnecessary. It could just have easily been a medic that worked with her in the hospital that she grew close to that it happened to and could have had the same result of Katniss realizing where the double bomb came from. It was kind of a letdown in the end. Also the ending seemed rushed to me.

Overall though I really enjoyed the books.

CCL

Anyone see the trailer for the Hunger Games movie that comes out in March? It's online and it was also playing before Twilight at the theatre. Looks good.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Yes, it looks fantastic!! I hope it lives up to the books, the trailer and my sky high expectations.
    Wag more, bark less

My daughter and I are listening to the audio book right now as I type this. She just got the first gift of burn medicine. We've both read all the books before.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Anyone see the trailer for the Hunger Games movie that comes out in March? It's online and it was also playing before Twilight at the theatre. Looks good.
    I've seen it and it looks great. It appears they did a good job of closely following the books. The scenes I saw were similar to my mind pictures when I read it. I hope it's as good as I imagine it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I've finished the books. They kept me enthralled all the way through. I was happy with Katniss ending up with Peeta. He was my choice for her since book 1. When Finnick died I had an outburst 'I didn't want him to go' but I understood it. However, I really didn't like what happened with Prim. It seemed such an odd thing to me. It seemed thrown in there and unnecessary. It could just have easily been a medic that worked with her in the hospital that she grew close to that it happened to and could have had the same result of Katniss realizing where the double bomb came from. It was kind of a letdown in the end. Also the ending seemed rushed to me.

Overall though I really enjoyed the books.
    I felt the exact same about the end being rushed. I had to go back to re-read it a few times because everything was moving so quickly.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I'm late to the game but I just read the trilogy this past week and finished the last one up minutes ago.

My first thought - Phew - Peeta made it! That was my driving thought through that last book - that he had to survive and break free of the hijacking and make his way back to Katniss. I devoured the book quickly b/c I had to know, so I'm so glad he did! My biggest fear was with that triangle, either he or Gale would have to die in order for the other to make it, not knowing that it'd be Prim's death that would drive a wedge between Katniss & Gale. After all that she went through, she couldn't end up saving her little sister.

Overall, I liked the series. Hated the writing style but the story more than made up for that. And when Katniss killed Coin at the end, I thought good for you! I don't like when I cheer on someone's death but Coin had to go. Heck, there were deaths left and right. Cinna's and Finnick's really got to me.

As for the movie - I'll have to check out who they've cast. I purposely stayed away other than a commercial I saw b/c I didn't want it influencing what I thought about the characters. I can't wait to see her prep team and Cinna's creations. I'm curious, though, how they'll show her breakdowns - I mean, they take up a lot of the books!

There are so, so many things to think about, I know I'll be digesting this for a few days...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post

As for the movie - I'll have to check out who they've cast. I purposely stayed away other than a commercial I saw b/c I didn't want it influencing what I thought about the characters. I can't wait to see her prep team and Cinna's creations. I'm curious, though, how they'll show her breakdowns - I mean, they take up a lot of the books!
    I avoided all movie talk until after I finished the books - but I'm really happy with the casting for the movie! I can't wait to see it!!

The movie preview I saw looked like perfect casting. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but the preview alone made it seem well done and that they followed the book. I'm excited to see the movie.

I loved that she killed Coin, but I was VERY irritated by Prim's death. IMO it was so convoluted for her even being in that place to be killed. I could get on board with most stuff, even when I hated the deaths, (like Finnick's) but Prim's still bothers me as it seemed so out of place.

I did thoroughly enjoy the books and couldn't put them down. We're reading The Hunger Games for book club in March and I'll probably read it again, even though it hasn't been that long.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast