+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games Triology

Re: The Hunger Games Triology

LOVED the first two books. Could have done without the third one. HATED how it ended (I'll stop there for spoiler sake).

LG.

I'm pretty sure that in the books forum, it isn't considered a spoiler to discuss the books. It isn't like some folks are waiting for it to air in their market. I'm just saying.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by lilcountriegal View Post
    LOVED the first two books. Could have done without the third one. HATED how it ended (I'll stop there for spoiler sake).
    I agree completely.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by LG. View Post
    I'm pretty sure that in the books forum, it isn't considered a spoiler to discuss the books. It isn't like some folks are waiting for it to air in their market. I'm just saying.
    Didnt want to ruin it for some people still actually reading. But, since you put it that way.

Peeta???!? REALLY???!?

LG.

Actually, I liked Katniss ending up with Peeta. I was pulling for Peeta all along.
    2boysmom likes this.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Actually, I liked Katniss ending up with Peeta. I was pulling for Peeta all along.
    Yeah, me too, and I loved the ending. The pubescent fantasy love story between Katniss and her boys that is carried throughout does not carry through to the end. Part of me wanted a big romantic scene between her and one of them, but it's not realistic considering what they survived. The end is about pure survival, and I think it's so dark but so fitting. The reality of the horror of the Games broke through everything she had and was, right down to how she could love someone. Katniss even admits that she's with the one that she can't survive without.
    I love that about Katniss anyhow, it's evident through all the books... her imperfections and what's missing in her, it's a true reflection of the life she has lived.
    Cootie likes this.

I just read all three books in the last couple of weeks. I'm really surprised how much I liked them because the subject matter of them is not usually my type of reading. I did think the first two were the best and the third one just kind of dragged and was not very interesting.

I'm so undecided on how I feel about the whole ending. There was a part of me that wanted her to end up with Gale, but the way his character developed through the third book made me not like him as much. I'm still having a hard time with the Peeta thing, mainly because of what happened to him and they way he acted because of it in the third book. Overall, the whole series was very good and it was a quick easy read.

Has anyone read any of her other books? Are they any good?

LG.

It made sense to me that she'd end up with Peeta. I figured that there was no way that Katniss could end up with Gale after they went to District 2 and Gale wanted to trap all of those people in the Nut after starting the avalanche. The way that she pleaded with him that it was like a mining accident, and how could they not help the people get out - it showed that even though Katniss was fully capable of killing someone (and had done it multiple times) that she really couldn't justify any "unnecessary" deaths. It was a real fundamental difference between Katniss and Gale, that they were both hunters, but she did it only to survive (or save other people) whereas Gale genuinely enjoyed hunting and fighting. And then after Prim got caught up in a snare! Well, it wasn't guaranteed at that point that she'd end up with Peeta, but that sealed Gale's fate, and he didn't even bother to try to win Katniss back after that.

I think Haymitch called it when he talked to Katniss right before the siege of the Capitol, telling Katniss to stop blaming Peeta for the fact that he was programed to try to hurt her when they got him back from the Capitol. He told Katniss that if Peeta and Katniss' roles were reversed, that Peeta wouldn't be rejecting her, he'd be trying to help her. That hit home with Katniss.

The first person narrative of the books is interesting because we only see things from Katniss' perspective, and I like it when she forces herself to think about things from another characters' perspective. There was a part where she looked at herself and her relationship with Peeta through Gale's perspective (when she was hanging out underground in District 13 I think), thinking what it would have been like if Gale had been reaped, forced together with some girl, forced into a romance with the girl, and Katniss got mad at a fictional girl. She also had a better relationship with her mother after she acknowledged that her mom was medically depressed after their dad died, rather than just comparing her to Gale's mom, who was working and supporting her family 2 weeks after giving birth. I thought these introspective moments where she intentionally thought about other people's perspectives were a sign of her growing emotional maturity, because she was 16-17 years old this whole time. No matter how much responsibility she had thrust upon her when her dad died and she had to feed her family, she was still immature in her attitude toward relationships (and her attitude that she'd just never be in a relationship so she'd never have kids that would face reaping). That made me happy too in the end that she and Peeta didn't rush off into some explosion of love relationship, but instead they grew together over time, and ended up being together 15 years before having kids. Finnick had told Katniss that his love for Annie "snuck up on him" and I think her love for Peeta did too.

I have a couple questions though based somewhat on relying on Katniss' thoughts for narration - what happens to Joanna in the end? Joanna is like Haymitch in that she didn't have anyone left after becoming a victor. Also, not that it really matters, but which leg did Peeta lose? It was amazing (or some could say, unrealistic) that he had so very few problems with it in all the physically demanding things he did after the 74th hunger games. They were running through the Capitol sewers, dancing at formal balls (during the Victory Tour), he was proposing on one knee, and not to mention the swimming involved in the 75th hunger games. A testament to the incredible medical resources they had in the Capitol (and the unfairness that people in the Districts where dying from completely treatable conditions). Makes you wonder how the former Capitol residents like Effie Trinkett (who survived) fared in the post-revolution era. Let's hope the odds were ever in her favor. Which reminds me, the other thing I liked about Katniss' narration is that once it was all over, she was living in District 12, hanging out with Peeta, Haymitch, Greasy Sae, etc., she wasn't thinking about Gale. She didn't dwell on him. She had a rather long period of her life where she juggled her feelings for two guys, but once Gale was out, he was really out of the picture. It will be interesting to see if they stick with this point of view / narration for the movies, which usually have a more omnipresent feeling. Maybe we'd find out how someone else was feeling without them having to tell Katniss.

I just finished listening to all three books in audio format. My daughter and I traveled for many hours in our car in the last month and we had a great time listening to the first two books. So I downloaded the third for our ipods and we both listened to it each night this week. I love the feeling of living the adventure in a book (series), but have been a bit lonely since it ended. I liked the ending and was rooting for Peeta to end up with Katniss. It made sense to me. What they endured in the games was too strong of a bond and they knew how to comfort each other. I was rooting for Gale for a while, but agree with those of you who saw the distance growing between Katniss and Gale in the final book. Once she learned that he had had other girls in his life it took the luster off of him. And that he loved the hunt more than she did? I liked following the progress of Katniss' mom, who overcame her grief in the end by keeping busy in service to others.

The government control message should resound with YA readers - Hunger Games was on a state reading list at the high school level here in Oregon, but I know of a few 11 year olds that I would recommend this series to.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Me too. I was a little surprised with some of the things that happened right at the end; but, I'm glad that Peeta came back for her. I kind of knew - as soon as she mentioned the kiss that sent warmth through her body in the 74th games, when they were under their little rock. And, like Finnick, her response to Peeta after hitting the force field kind of sealed it to me. She clearly couldn't live with-out him.
    Last edited by WrigleyDogA2; 11-13-2011 at 06:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast