+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

CCL

Re: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series

Didn't he say that he wasn't currently working on the next book and didn't plan to start (continue?) until the new year? I swear I read that in the summer when the last book came out. Not that I'm trying to freak you out, Critical.

Edited to include link to article.

'Game of Thrones' author on fans, killing characters, Comic-Con | SignOnSanDiego.com
    Last edited by CCL; 11-15-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I think I saw that interview. I know he was working on the "Blackwater" episode of GOT when ADWD came out. The new year is right around the corner! I hope the series doesn't distract him from writing the books....not too much, at least.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It seems like everything distracts him from writing the books.

I thought I heard somewhere that he had some POVs already written for the next one, but maybe not.

I am about half way through the latest one. I keep swearing to myself that I'm not going to read anymore until he gets them all done, but I just can't help myself. I hate all the bloody cliffhangers.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    It seems like everything distracts him from writing the books.

I thought I heard somewhere that he had some POVs already written for the next one, but maybe not.

I am about half way through the latest one. I keep swearing to myself that I'm not going to read anymore until he gets them all done, but I just can't help myself. I hate all the bloody cliffhangers.

From what I understand - he does have some of the POV's written for the next book.

According to things I've read on westeros.org, he had about 100 manuscript pages from ADWD that he decided to hold back for TWOW instead, so that's something. The manuscript for ADWD was over 1,500 pages though, so there's a lot of work to be done.

I can't remember if this link got posted or not. It has some good stuff about the series, the TV show and the future: A Dance With Dragons Interview | Shelf Life | EW.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Oh great, the interview gets cut off (on purpose) just before he reveals whether he is firm on the 7 book #! Did anyone read the print version?

I read a quarter of the way down this page and hopped over to Amazon to buy the kindle edition. Darn you all! I now have Game of Thrones, book 1 ready for reading.

One thing that gave me pause is that I'm am used to reading black and white characters in fantasy, and a reviewer pointed out that shades of gray are used for these characters. However, if the characters draw me in and the gore doesn't make me squeamish, I can't wait to get started. BTW - I haven't seen the TV show nor have I rented it on Netflix. This will be all new to me, so I won't be back in the thread until I have something to say. Darn you all, anyway!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm cracking up! I open to the dedication page and it says, this one is for Melinda. That is my IRL name. Is it fate that I should read this book, or what?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I am not a fan of gore in any manner, but I can deal with it in these books. I like the shades of grey in the characters, it makes them more interesting. I will warn you, it's easy to get addicted to this series, and he is no where near finished with it. Book 5 is nothing but cliff hangers.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I'm cracking up! I open to the dedication page and it says, this one is for Melinda. That is my IRL name. Is it fate that I should read this book, or what?
    Welcome to the obssession You will not be able to put this series down until you finish book five. So, only about 5,000 pages or so

Book 1 is a bit slow to start out because you're learning all about the characters and their world, so it takes a little while (or at least it did for me) to get familiar. Stick with it. All of a sudden, you will start blowing through the book at breakneck speed.

I'm about 75 pages from finishing book 5 for the second time. I have vowed to NOT pick up book 1 again....at least for a while

Quoting myself here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't think the dragon-calling horn can only be blown by one person. I'm not sure the man who blew it actually died - he collapsed and had blood and blisters on his lips after blowing it, but I don't remember him dying on the page. Either way, it's definitely not something to play around with.
    CCL - you were absolutely right about this one. I totally stand corrected. I just read a Victarion chapter in ADWD and he tells Moqorro that the one who blew the horn at the Kingsmoot did die afterwards - he described it as having burned him up from the inside. Moqorro tells Victarion that he needs to claim the horn with blood, and that then, the dragon(s) will come to him.

+ Reply to Thread