+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series

Ugh...I hate Dany. Just kill her, please.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I wish Drogon would have killed her in the fighting pit.
    Plus, her cousin (?- Aegon) is alive and technically is ahead of her in line for the thrown.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I thought the "little girl" that met them at the opening of the cave said the white walkers had killed him long ago. But I'd have to go and check.
    I've learned with this series that unless someone is beheaded on the page, they aren't dead! Look at Brienne - she looked like a goner for sure. Same with Catelyn. That's why I don't think Jon is dead and why I think Benjen is still out there somewhere. I also think Syrio is still alive!

I'm slowly making my way back through the series again. I'm reading other things too, so it's going to take me months to finish them all again.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've learned with this series that unless someone is beheaded on the page, they aren't dead!
    So true! (and I kind of love it)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've learned with this series that unless someone is beheaded on the page, they aren't dead!
    What you mean Robb with his direwolf head isn't going to turn up again and raise some havoc? Pshaw.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I hope you're right, Critical! I will be devastated if Jon is really dead. The poor guy has been to hell and back, and then his own men kill him? That would suck. I'm still in mourning over Robb being murdered by the Freys.

I love Dany, but the whole Mereen storyline was a big snooze-fest for me. Who cares about Brazen beasts and slave pits? Dany and her dragons need to get to Westeros!

I'm dying to find out what happened to Jamie and Brienne. I'm wondering if Catelyn sent Brienne to fetch him so she can kill them both? Or did Brienne die and Catelyn picked her to take her place as the leader of the King's men?

This fan art perfectly expresses my feelings about this character.

Photobucket

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I thought the "little girl" that met them at the opening of the cave said the white walkers had killed him long ago. But I'd have to go and check.
    I went back and checked and the Child of the Forest did say that "Coldhands" was killed long ago. Knowing that she's lived over 200 years, I don't think the few that Benjen went missing would equate to "long ago" to her.

I agree with the sentiment that Daenerys might need to go - I got so frustrated with her as she refused to leave the city and head for Westeros. At this point, now we've got to hope that her chapters with the Dothraki aren't drawn out too. I say let's fast-forward her time and get her back to the city where she meets Tyrion and they both head back to Westeros. I wonder what her reaction to "her bear" returning will be.

Love that quote about Catelyn. It's so true! I've been wondering why she's still around. I'm convinced she's got to take revenge on Walder Frey. Perhaps she and Arya will team up?
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie View Post
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I hope you're right, Critical! I will be devastated if Jon is really dead. The poor guy has been to hell and back, and then his own men kill him? That would suck. I'm still in mourning over Robb being murdered by the Freys.

I love Dany, but the whole Mereen storyline was a big snooze-fest for me. Who cares about Brazen beasts and slave pits? Dany and her dragons need to get to Westeros!

I'm dying to find out what happened to Jamie and Brienne. I'm wondering if Catelyn sent Brienne to fetch him so she can kill them both? Or did Brienne die and Catelyn picked her to take her place as the leader of the King's men?

This fan art perfectly expresses my feelings about this character.

Photobucket
    And that is why I don't watch the tv show - that is not at all how I picture Catelyn. And I don't want those images to ruin what I think they look like.

I actually love Michelle Fairley as Catelyn.

The thing with ANY TV/movie adaptation of a book is that it's next to impossible to find an actor to play the part the way it needs to be played who also looks exactly like the character is described in the book. What I hope for is that the actor cast can embody the spirit of the character and I think the casting people on GOT have got that part down. I mean, Eddard is supposed to be in his early 30's, but I think Sean Bean really gets the essence of the character. I don't think Lena Headey is as stunningly beautiful as Cersei, but she's got the malevolence of the character down. While the show doesn't follow every single detail of the books, I think it's a really respectful adaptation. It doesn't replace the books for me, but I still love the show.

Along the same lines as that pic is this site: Winter Is Coming, Bitches It's NSFW or PG-13, so beware!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

ARGH! I was supposed to be reading my book club book this week and, instead, I got sucked back into Westeros again! Now that I know what happens, I find that I'm reading more thoroughly and catching things I'm sure I missed the last time. This is worse than being trapped in Middle Earth - those books are shorter!

I'm now reading A Feast for Crows and man, it's a slow read (comparatively). I LOVE this series, but I have to say, I think it was a mistake to split the narrative this way. There are just too many unfamiliar characters this far into the story. Yes, you get King's Landing and Sam and a bit of the Wall, but there's SO MUCH of the Greyjoy's and the Iron Islands. Those parts just drag.

I think the series would have been stronger, as a whole, if GRRM had split the narrative chronologically instead of geographically.

I've been reading the books a little more slowly this time through and I'm catching all kinds of things I missed before.

+ Reply to Thread