+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series

As for Winds of Winter...When book 4 was published, GRRM had almost all of book 5 written. (book 4 was supposed to be the final, then he broke it out into 5 - which has since become 6 and 7) So I wouldn't count on it taking less time.

GRRM has said he's a very slow writer. What he thought was a whole book with book 5 wasn't even close. Plus DWD is the longest of the series so far. I don't think WOW will take 6 years, but it won't be 2 either.

I'm so glad some of you are finally finishing book 5! I haven't had anyone to discuss it with!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Wrigley :

Click to see Spoiler:

You mean Rickon, not Tommen. He is not in book 5 either...maybe he is nor old enough to be interesting.

Jon's parentage is still unclear. It has been speculated that his parents are Lyanna and Rhaegar in the blogosphere but whether this is true.... I would not be surprised but there hasn't been any really big clues in the books as to those two being his parents.

I presume that Robert's heirs would be viewed as not true heirs to the throne as they are bastards? But then why focus on two of them, Edric Storm and Gentry?

General thoughts...I read all five books back to back so I'm a bit inundated ...

Click to see Spoiler:
    . Jon better not be dead. I doubt he is because I've always felt he would end up as king, with Dany as queen. But the author has not been shy about killing off major characters...then again, characters who seemed dead turned out not to be so...

I did not see Young Griff turning out to be Aegon, so well done on that one, GRRM. And I didn't think of Lenora as potentially being Ashara so thanks for that cantstopwatchin. As Ashara she could also be able to prove she is not Jon's mother (as she was one of the options) but Tyrion does mention her having stretch marks proving she has given birth so...maybe not. Speaking of the Dayne's, I've always felt that there was more to Arthur's backstory than we have learned thus far, but maybe that is just because his title, Sword of the Morning, is so evocative.
    I love Dany but her insistence in staying in Mereen, and her infatuation with the annoying Daario, has put me off her a bit.
    I continue to love Arya. It's almost as if she is in some separate novel at this point though. But I would read that novel.
    Tyrion...never change. Swatting people down with weapons and choice remarks. Love.

I don't see how I will last till book six.
    Last edited by CCL; 08-21-2011 at 12:39 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Wrigley :

Click to see Spoiler:

You mean Rickon, not Tommen. He is not in book 5 either...maybe he is nor old enough to be interesting.

Jon's parentage is still unclear. It has been speculated that his parents are Lyanna and Rhaegar in the blogosphere but whether this is true.... I would not be surprised but there hasn't been any really big clues in the books as to those two being his parents.

I presume that Robert's heirs would be viewed as not true heirs to the throne as they are bastards? But then why focus on two of them, Edric Storm and Gentry?

General thoughts...I read all five books back to back so I'm a bit inundated ...

Click to see Spoiler:
    . Jon better not be dead. I doubt he is because I've always felt he would end up as king, with Dany as queen. But the author has not been shy about killing off major characters...then again, characters who seemed dead turned out not to be so...

I did not see Young Griff turning out to be Aegon, so well done on that one, GRRM. And I didn't think of Lenora as potentially being Ashara so thanks for that cantstopwatchin. As Ashara she could also be able to prove she is not Jon's mother (as she was one of the options) but Tyrion does mention her having stretch marks proving she has given birth so...maybe not. Speaking of the Dayne's, I've always felt that there was more to Arthur's backstory than we have learned thus far, but maybe that is just because his title, Sword of the Morning, is so evocative.
    I love Dany but her insistence in staying in Mereen, and her infatuation with the annoying Daario, has put me off her a bit.
    I continue to love Arya. It's almost as if she is in some separate novel at this point though. But I would read that novel.
    Tyrion...never change. Swatting people down with weapons and choice remarks. Love.

I don't see how I will last till book six.
    A couple of responses -

Click to see Spoiler:
    Good call on Arthur Dayne - wouldn't it be cool if Lenore *is* Ashara and she gives Aegon Dawn (the Dayne's sword). That'd be one bada$$ sword to have, I think, and would definitely prove Ashara is who she says she is.

RE: Dany in Mereen - OMG, it was so frustrating that she wouldn't leave. I can understand why, because at some point she'll probably meet up with Tyrion who will teach her about dragons, but now she's not even there anymore and she's with the khalasar. I feel like she's gone backwards (yes, I know Quaithe's advice) but ugh. I want her on her way to Westeros already!!!!

The stories we've heard of Rhaegar & Lyanna, describing each of them and what happened at Harrenhal, makes me sad they couldn't have had a happier ending. But I do think they loved each other. Why else would she have stayed with him over a year at the Tower of Joy? I'm sure a girl who rode better than most men could've escaped if she'd wanted to. I do think Jon's their son and I hope someday we'll be able to piece together what happened. I'm hoping Howland Reed, father of Jojen and Meera, will make an appearance at some point to give us the truth of what happened that day at the Tower of Joy. (Or maybe Ashara will be able to fill us in since Ned visited her after he went there - hmm, that's probably more likely to happen, I think.)

GRRM has told the writers of the show how he plans to end the books, which was a relief to me when I heard b/c as was mentioned before - he's not the youngest man nor in the best of shape. I also heard that he's not going to start writing TWoW until the beginning of next year as he's busy finishing up two other projects. Ack!

There was a funny bit on the Daily Show that mentioned GRRM. The part where he's mentioned is at the 2:20 mark.

Borders Goes Out of Business - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 08/16/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I thought this was both cool and slightly alarming:

Adam Bruski
    Cooking With Ice and Fire
    Posted: 9/8/11 09:22 AM ET

About two months ago, I leaned over the deli case and asked in a lower voice than one would typically use at a butcher shop, "Pete, any chance you can get me a swan? Unplucked if possible. I want to serve it in its plumage."

My butcher of 10 years was used to the occasional odd request from me; tripe, pork cheeks, trotters, but I think this one finally worried him. "Umm.... Can I ask why?", he responded after an uncomfortable pause.

Thus arose yet another chance to tell someone of my project to cook every dish mentioned in the Song of Ice and Fire series of books written by George R. R. Martin. The first of the (now five) book series, A Game of Thrones, was made into a ten-part series by HBO this past summer. For those unfamiliar with the books, the setting is a fictional world that is heavily influenced by medieval European and other historical societies.

Upon a recent re-reading of the books in preparation for this past July's release of A Dance With Dragons, I was reminded of how vividly food was described in the books. In the description of one royal feast alone we have a thick venison-barley stew, snails in honey and garlic, fresh trout baked in clay, pigeon pie, and lemon cakes, just to name a few. This is not to mention a seventy seven course wedding feast which is like to take the rest of my natural life to document.

Beyond just lending color and flavor to his world of Westeros, however, Martin uses food almost as a supporting character. There are numerous examples of dishes having a foreshadowing nature, or being particularly appropriate to the mood and temperament of their diners. Much of the realism of Martin's cultures comes through their unique foods and tastes.

Having had the idea for the blog I rushed to the internet, expecting to find it had been done several hundred times. To my surprise there was only one other serious site out there, The Inn at the Crossroads. These ladies are doing an excellent job and have been at it since the spring so they have a good number of dishes under their aprons. They also prepare a medieval and a modern take on each dish. I decided that since there are now hundreds of dishes mentioned in the Song of Ice and Fire there was certainly room for two projects to tackle the list. Plus I wanted my interests in history and food science to be the focus of my blog.

Thus far, ingredient availability is proving to be the greatest challenge. In addition to the aforementioned swan episode, one can also find the denizens of A Song of Ice and Fire dining on unborn puppies, dormice, various endangered species, and a drink referred to as "Milk of the Poppy" which can only be a strong, and likely illegal, opiate. Some substitutions will no doubt be in order...

The number of visitors to the site is gratifying, as are the posts from sites like this one, Serious Eats, and the Sword and Laser podcast, but I really knew I had hit on a topic that resonated with people when received a message (and picture) from a reader who, after a long day at work, came home to find his wife had prepared him one of the dishes from the blog. The excitement in his message was palpable and more than enough encouragement for me to go back this weekend and risk asking Pete for a heron.
    Adam Bruski: Cooking With Ice and Fire

"Some substitutions will no doubt be in order" indeed. I'll admit that some of the food in the books makes me hungry when I'm reading, but not all of it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

PWS
    FORT Fogey

You'll get some answers (but not all), but also more questions! This series is the literary equivalent of LOST.

Has anyone brought up the possibility that the man with the dead hands who helps Bran in book 5 (and Sam and Gilly) might be Benjen Stark?

I feel like I really need to go back and read the books again. I know I missed so much the first time I read them.

CCL

^ I'm not sure if here, but, yes, elsewhere.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I thought the "little girl" that met them at the opening of the cave said the white walkers had killed him long ago. But I'd have to go and check.

If you have time, Critical, try to reread them. There are so many things, now that you know the 'ending' that you'll pick up. Dani's dreams in the House of the Undying, for instance - talk about foreshadowing...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I thought the "little girl" that met them at the opening of the cave said the white walkers had killed him long ago. But I'd have to go and check.

If you have time, Critical, try to reread them. There are so many things, now that you know the 'ending' that you'll pick up. Dani's dreams in the House of the Undying, for instance - talk about foreshadowing...
    Bran never asks about Benjen Stark. It's just assumed, by everyone, that he was killed.

+ Reply to Thread