+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

Re: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series

Unfortunately, that will keep happening, CCL! You see these characters moving toward each other and you think they're definitely going to meet and then something happens to change their courses. It's really frustrating sometimes, but I'm just going to trust GRRM that it will all come together in the end.

So has anyone finished book 5 yet? I'm dying to talk to someone about it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Just starting book 4 so it'll be a while for me.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

At the beginning of Book 5, GRRM talks about the events in Book 4 and Book 5 running concurrently. I would like to read Book 4 and Book 5 at the same time so it makes more sense, but I would like to know which POVs to read when. Does anybody have any ideas on this? (I have already read the first 4 books, and I'm currently re-reading them (nearly finished with the first one), so it will be a while before I get to the new one).
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    GRRM has already said he won't make any comments about when book 6 will be out after saying book 5 would follow book 4 in a year, but I hope it will take less time that it did for book 5! 5+ years would be torture! I worry that his involvement with the TV series will slow him down in writing book 6. I read an interview with him this morning (which, of course, I now can't find!) and he said that he may or may not end the series at 7 books. Apparently, he'd originally intended it to just be a trilogy and it got bigger and bigger. I'd be happy with 3 more books instead of 2!
    I would be happy with 7 books too, if they were already written. This business of waiting 5 years for a book is the pits. That's the main reason I hate starting series books when the author is still writing them (but - alas! - I picked up the first one way back when and got totally hooked.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I have no idea, although there's probably a fan site around that has that info

Is anyone done with book 5 yet?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I have no idea, although there's probably a fan site around that has that info

Is anyone done with book 5 yet?
    I'm on 5 now but not too far in.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Just on the part where Tyrion is on his way to Dany. I love Tyrion. And one of the dragons going after a child? Not good...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I just finished book 5, having read them all for the first time straight through on vacation (yay, Kindle!). I'm exhausted! I'm also worried I'll never remember who is who 5 years from now... I had trouble even reading them back to back.
    I'm also depressed that it seems as though as soon as I like a character s/he gets killed. Plus the whole almost finding each other, not quite thing... But I admit it is gripping.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I just finished book 5, having read them all for the first time straight through on vacation (yay, Kindle!). I'm exhausted! I'm also worried I'll never remember who is who 5 years from now... I had trouble even reading them back to back.
    Every time a new book comes out, I reread all the previous ones before I read the new one. I just started the second book, so it will be a while before I get to book 5.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I wanted to re-read all of the books prior to DwD, so I just finished DwD last night. Holy cow!!!

To be on the safe side, I'm going to put my comments in spoilers.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I was FLOORED when Jon was stabbed and after being depressed for a day, I've decided that I'm going to 'keep the faith' and Melisandre will save him by giving him the breath of life (or whatever they call it). My only fear is that it'll change him in some way or he'll lose some part of himself like Beric Dondarrion did. But I'm convinced that he's got a large role to play (since I believe he's Rhaegar's & Lyanna's son and is the prophesized Azor Azai) and I think this is somehow how the "real" sword of flame comes to be instead of the fake one that Stannis had. (Unless Beric's sword is the real sword.) I also still believe he's got some role to play with Dany, esp. after her vision of the blue rose on the ice wall in the House of the Undying.

I know it was an awful way to die, but I'm glad they wrapped up Quentyn's storyline. It just didn't make sense for him to be one of the dragon riders. Which brings me to Aegon being alive - OMG!! That's what I love about GRRM - I didn't see that one coming at all! I'm guessing Lenore = Ashara Dayne, so I'm wondering if this is how Ser Barristan will be able to confirm to Dany that Aegon is, in fact, her nephew?

Arya!! I love that we learn she hasn't lost her "reason" for becoming an assassin and I can't wait for her to return to Westeros. And it seems that being a warg runs deeply in the Stark family. It seemed she slipped into the cat more easily than Bran did the ravens. Speaking of Bran - I'm a little nervous about Melisandre seeing his 'teacher' in her flames. Was that a good vision or a bad vision? And I love how Bran spoke to Theon through the heart tree.

The walk Cersei took - wow; that brought all the wind out of her sails, eh? I'm curious to see what will happen at her trial, esp. since I suspect Tyrion is meant to have a hand in her death and he's half a world away.

Nice to see Varys back and to have some backstory on him. With his intentions always seeming unclear, I'm glad we finally have an idea where his loyalties lie.

I'm sure I'll have more to say after I re-read it but those're my first thoughts. Since we already know GRRM has of chapters for Winds of Winter already written, I'm hoping he'll move forward with it much more quickly than ADWD because I need to know how this all ends!!!!! As it was, I was getting more and more depressed the closer I got to the end. On the one hand, I wanted to finish it but on the other, I didn't want to be "done". And now I have to wait for the story to move forward...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

About 200 pages into book 5 -

I am so glad that someone started this thread! It's taking me a little longer to read book 5; but, I'm really enjoying it. As for favorite characters: Arya and Jon. Least favorite: Dany and Sansa (though she started to grow on me on book 4). My wish:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I would really love to know what Tommen is up to. We haven't heard from him since he and Bran split

In response to some of the other topics discussed - I have never really thought about who Jon's mother is; but, if it was/is Lyanna, then why did Caitlin hate him so much? I mean having a nephew around would be more tolerable than a son that your husband fathered (while you were married and he was away).

Also...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    can anyone remember any further mention of Jon becoming the actual King of the North, since Rob signed something naming his heir? Actually do we know who he named?

And one more...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    What about Roberts heirs? The illegitimate children he fathered? We heard about them for a little bit; but nothing for a while.

If I need to read the 5th book to get some of these answers, just tell me.

+ Reply to Thread