+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

Re: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series

According to GRRM, Amazon Germany accidentally shipped about 180 copies of A Dance With Dragons and now there are spoilers all over the internet. Wish I'd gotten my copy early! If I had, I would NOT be spoiling anyone. Really though, why do people have to do stuff like that? Many fans have waited for this book for 6 years and some jackass decides to put spoilers out there before most can even buy the book? Jerks I just got into the series recently and I'd be really ticked off if I accidentally stumbled upon spoilers before the book was even released.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Okay, who's a giant dork? MEEEE!!!! My copy of A Dance With Dragons just arrived from the publisher! I totally did a little dance and jumped up and down when I opened the box Starting the book in 3....2....1......

ETA: I promise you guys - no spoilers
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Okay, who's a giant dork? MEEEE!!!! My copy of A Dance With Dragons just arrived from the publisher! I totally did a little dance and jumped up and down when I opened the box Starting the book in 3....2....1......

ETA: I promise you guys - no spoilers
    I'm jealous...and a little worried. Did you happen to buy it from Amazon? I'm afraid it might be sitting at my front door while I'm here on vacation.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

No, it came from a publishing rep (I work in the business). Unless you ordered from Amazon Germany, I think you're safe!

Okay no spoilers, but I thought I'd give a little update. I'm about 400 pages in and it's awesome! I was out last night and tonight and all I wanted to do was stay home and read!

As most of you know from the afterward from GRRM in book 4, book 5 is literally the other half of the story. So, this is all the characters we didn't see in book 4 and the action picks up where it ended with book 3. At some point in this book (I haven't gotten there yet) the stories from books 4 and 5 will come together and move past where book 4 ended. I'd imagine that, if they get this far in the TV series, they'll merge books 4 and 5 and make two seasons, chronologically.

So far there have been POV chapters from (spoilered in case you really want to know nothing about anything - no plot points here)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Dany, Tyrion, Jon, Davos, Bran () and several other characters we haven't seen in a few books and if I named them, it would spoil too much.

Because GRRM tends to bring characters back from the dead, I'm not even looking ahead to see who's got chapters coming up.

I can't stop reading, but I know I'm going to be sad when I finish, because then I'll just have to WAIT for the next book! Hopefully, it won't be six years until the next one.

I finished the book at about 3 am today and am DYING because I can't discuss it with ANYONE! It was SO late, but I only had about 100 pages to go, so I had to finish it. Then I couldn't sleep because the book got me so worked up.

You guys have to read it FAST so I can talk to someone about it!

I think everyone will enjoy this one MUCH more than book 4. There was a lot of good stuff and, because it's GRRM, several characters (and the reader) were left in peril or it wasn't clear if they would live or die....sort of like with Brienne in book 4.

GRRM has already said he won't make any comments about when book 6 will be out after saying book 5 would follow book 4 in a year, but I hope it will take less time that it did for book 5! 5+ years would be torture! I worry that his involvement with the TV series will slow him down in writing book 6. I read an interview with him this morning (which, of course, I now can't find!) and he said that he may or may not end the series at 7 books. Apparently, he'd originally intended it to just be a trilogy and it got bigger and bigger. I'd be happy with 3 more books instead of 2!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Does anyone know how old the author is? At the rate he works that could become a serious issue. I'm just nearing the end of the first book (thank you all for turning me on to it... while I love science fiction I'm not a huge fantasy fan, but so far I'm loving this, and glad to know there are so many volumes left to go). These are made for Kindles, at least for those of us with some carpal tunnel issues!

He's 62, PWS. I'm worried about that too! If he takes (please, God, no) 6 years for the next two books, he'll be 74 when he finishes. He's not the most, er, fit looking fellow. In pictures, he looks a bit portly. I worry that he's heart attack material. If I don't ever find out how this story ends, I will be SO bummed.

GRRM should probably send a BIG thank you note to HBO:
    Record sales for George R.R. Martin's 'A Dance With Dragons'

By Carol Memmott, USA TODAY

George R.R. Martin's A Dance With Dragons, book five in his epic "A Song of Ice and Fire' series, had the highest single and first-day sales of any new fiction title published this year: 298,000 copies in print, digital, and audio formats, publisher Random House announced today.

On Tuesday, sales of 170,000 hardcovers (26% of the 650,000 pre-publication printings); 110,000 e-books; and 18,000 audio books were reported sold.

Gina Centrello, President and Publisher of The Random House Publishing Group, whose Bantam Books imprint publishes Martin's books, said in a press release that the first-day sales were "astonishing, wildly exceeding our retailers' most optimistic expectations. With George's outstanding print edition sales, his readers are clearly indicating they want to place this new hardcover on their bookshelves alongside his earlier volumes, and our booksellers are absolutely delighted about it. These numbers attest both to the enormous demand from George's devoted fans, and also to the tens of thousands of new readers who now are devouring his books because they loved the 'Game of Thrones' HBO series."

This year, print runs for hardcover, trade and mass-market copies of Martin's four previous volumes in his series: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows totaled more than four million copies. There are 8.5 million copies in print and digital overall.
    Record sales for George R.R. Martin's 'A Dance With Dragons' - USATODAY.com

CCL

Book 3.

Ok, I know it is to drive the plot and to build suspense with near-misses but Arya's story is driving me crazy. Girl can't catch a break.

There -had to get that off my chest.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread