+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

I cannot imagine a reunion between Catelyn - the walking dead one with the exposed bone and rotting flesh and the impaired cognition - and her surviving children. I doubt I want to read about it, if it is being planned.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I agree, Critical, we haven't yet been told what Brienne said. But I think in reading it and remembering back to the earlier conversations between the two of them, I had a guess about what the word was. Now I just can't for the life of me remember what it was.
    I imagined her yelling "Freedom!" a la Braveheart. All kidding aside, I'd love to know what the heck it was b/c it's bothered me as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I cannot imagine a reunion between Catelyn - the walking dead one with the exposed bone and rotting flesh and the impaired cognition - and her surviving children. I doubt I want to read about it, if it is being planned.
    I could totally picture her with Arya. I've speculated she could be the brains behind and Arya could carry out death sentences for what happened to the family. Actually, I can picture Arya in a multitude of situations where she meets out vengeance for her family...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I see Arya as self-contained awesomnes, not in need of more than the mentors she's found. Catelyn The Walking Dead does not seem capable of rational thought to me.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I see Arya as self-contained awesomnes, not in need of more than the mentors she's found. Catelyn The Walking Dead does not seem capable of rational thought to me.
    It's hard to say what Cat is like now since we've seen so little of her. I have hopes for TWOW. I want more Jamie and Brienne and Cat and I'd really like to know what's been going on with Rickon and Osha as well.

Of all the Stark children, I think Arya is the best equipped to deal with what Cat looks like. While Sansa has grown and gotten so much stronger, I still don't know if she could handle seeing her mother that way. Maybe Bran would be okay too. Not sure about Rickon. They've definitely all been forced to do a lot of growing up.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

New chapter from TWOW. This one is Arianne Martell: GRRM - Wild Cards Sample
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I have to go back and re-read that one. When I read it the first time, I was pretty sure I knew what she said. But I can't remember the context now, so I can't remember what I thought it was. This just reminded me that I have to go back and read it! I agree about the foreshadowing - he absolutely knows where this is going and how it is all going to end. You miss so much the first time because there is so much to read. Even book 4 with all the new stuff - that is absolutely going to fit into the end somehow. Now I have a project for the next month!!
    Ok, so I have been re-reading the books and I just finished FofC last night. With regard to Brienne - Un-Cat tells her to choose noose or sword (basically to agree to kill Jamie). She says she can't make that choice because she swore an oath to Jamie. Un-Cat reminds her that she also swore an oath to her, and they string her up. She watches Pod being strung up and they start to pull and she wants to save him. That's when she yells the word. So while I could be completely wrong, I think she yells "sword" - basically saying that she will kill Jamie, and acknowledging that her oath to Cat came first. She has already told them the whole story of what has happened and that she was looking for Sansa, and that Jamie wanted to protect her. Un-Cat doesn't seem to care about any of that - so I think yelling anything relating to her kids would not matter at that point. All Un-Cat wants is Jamie dead, so I think "sword" is what she yelled to get out of it . . . and to save Pod. That being said, I don't see Brienne killing Jamie, but it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
    Last edited by KatesMom; 02-04-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Ok, so I have been re-reading the books and I just finished FofC last night. With regard to Brienne - Un-Cat tells her to choose noose or sword (basically to agree to kill Jamie). She says she can't make that choice because she swore an oath to Jamie. Un-Cat reminds her that she also swore an oath to her, and they string her up. She watches Pod being strung up and they start to pull and she wants to save him. That's when she yells the word. So while I could be completely wrong, I think she yells "sword" - basically saying that she will kill Jamie, and acknowledging that her oath to Cat came first. She has already told them the whole story of what has happened and that she was looking for Sansa, and that Jamie wanted to protect her. Un-Cat doesn't seem to care about any of that - so I think yelling anything relating to her kids would not matter at that point. All Un-Cat wants is Jamie dead, so I think "sword" is what she yelled to get out of it . . . and to save Pod. That being said, I don't see Brienne killing Jamie, but it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
    I just had to come back in because I saw on another site that GRRM has recently confirmed at a convention that I was right - the word Brienne yelled was "sword".

I am completely behind the rest of you, so I cannot read your posts! But I finally read the "Red Wedding" for myself tonight. I knew it was coming, and I am still heartbroken! Even though he never had a POV chapter, I loved Robb through his mother's eyes. Whew! That was a tough read

Has anyone seen those silly quizzes on FB that tell you what character you are on this show or that movie? Well, a friend of mine took one about GOT and she got Ygritte. She was totally excited. She has not read the books. There was literally nothing I could say that wasn't a spoiler. I wanted to tell her she shouldn't be so happy with that result!
    Jamie5632 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Has anyone seen those silly quizzes on FB that tell you what character you are on this show or that movie? Well, a friend of mine took one about GOT and she got Ygritte. She was totally excited. She has not read the books. There was literally nothing I could say that wasn't a spoiler. I wanted to tell her she shouldn't be so happy with that result!
    Hilarious!! Yes, I took the quiz and I got Tyrion, which I can live with!

+ Reply to Thread