+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

Re: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

Wow, that's the first negative review of ADWD that I've read. It sounds like that person just can't keep track of the characters and wants to get to the end faster. I enjoy lots of plot development and I always wish the books were longer. So yeah, totally disagree with that review.

I'm going to go with the NY Times over Mother Jones on this one (and pretty much everything else :
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/15/bo...in-review.html
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    In terms of negative reviews of Book 5, this one pretty much sums up the salient points (at least for me):

Book Review: A Dance With Dragons | Mother Jones

Of course, I ordered it halfway through A Feast for Crows and it should arrive soon. In the meantime, I cannot believe that I actually started re-reading the first 4 immediately. I also can't believe the details I missed the first time around.
    I'll be curious to hear if you agree with that review once you read ADWD.

Pretty much every time I finish ANY book, I have the urge to pick up Game of Thrones, which means I'd read the whole series again. It's like an addiction or something. I was amazed at how much I missed the first time I read the books. I'm sure every time I read them I'll find more detail that I missed.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Just finished Storm of Swords all I can say is WOW!..WOW! this has to be my favorite of the series so far.. After reading some of the comments here I may be usuing one of the "sites" for some cliff notes for AFFC. Since it may take a bit longer to read as it seems to be a slower read, I think I will save ADWD for my beach vacation read in October....or maybe I will hurry to finish and use my vacation for a re-read!
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

Crap. I just caved and picked up AGOT again. I need help.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I'm a couple hundred pages into DwD now and I have to say that I'm finding it anything but boring! I have gotten used the rythm of Martin's storytelling - although it really took some time, and I cheated a lot. I read ahead a few times in the first 4 because I could not abide not knowing what was happening to Arya, Catelyn, and Jon. I also found the lengthy costume descriptions and battle scenes somewhat tedious.

On begining the re-read of GoT, I was amazed at how less boring those descriptions had become. And I missed so much of the foreshadowing in my first read, as well. Martin is a truly gifted story weaver. Many of the negative reviews I read of Book 5 were on fan forums. Since I usually trust the reader reviews more than the trade and newsprint ones, I think I prejudged Book 5. It's hard to put it down.

I handed the first 4 over to my sister yesterday with the stipulation that she return them when she's finished because I know I'll be reading them again. They are frustratingly complex, and I hate the cliffhangers which may never be resolved. I want to know the word that Brienne uttered that saved her life. I want to read the parchment that saved Davos and I hate what happened with Catelyn. Let the poor woman have an afterlife! Grr, GRR.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 09-09-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Critical likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I'm a couple hundred pages into DwD now and I have to say that I'm finding it anything but boring! I have gotten used the rythm of Martin's storytelling - although it really took some time, and I cheated a lot. I read ahead a few times in the first 4 because I could not abide not knowing what was happening to Arya, Catelyn, and Jon. I also found the lengthy costume descriptions and battle scenes somewhat tedious.

On begining the re-read of GoT, I was amazed at how less boring those descriptions had become. And I missed so much of the foreshadowing in my first read, as well. Martin is a truly gifted story weaver. Many of the negative reviews I read of Book 5 were on fan forums. Since I usually trust the reader reviews more than the trade and newsprint ones, I think I prejudged Book 5. It's hard to put it down.

I handed the first 4 over to my sister yesterday with the stipulation that she return them when she's finished because I know I'll be reading them again. They are frustratingly complex, and I hate the cliffhangers which may never be resolved. I want to know the word that Brienne uttered that saved her life. I want to read the parchment that saved Davos and I hate what happened with Catelyn. Let the poor woman have an afterlife! Grr, GRR.
    I have to go back and re-read that one. When I read it the first time, I was pretty sure I knew what she said. But I can't remember the context now, so I can't remember what I thought it was. This just reminded me that I have to go back and read it! I agree about the foreshadowing - he absolutely knows where this is going and how it is all going to end. You miss so much the first time because there is so much to read. Even book 4 with all the new stuff - that is absolutely going to fit into the end somehow. Now I have a project for the next month!!

IIRC, we didn't find out what Brienne's word was. I would have remembered if we had. There are lots of discussions on various message boards about what the word could have been. I hope we do eventually find out what it was. I know GRRM has said that he knows readers feel like they're left hanging on those little things that he doesn't even think about again. Hopefully, he's been asked about this one enough that he'll put us out of our misery! I'm hoping we'll see more of Catelyn and Brienne in TWOW. I really would like to hear more of Cat's story after the RW. I'm also hoping for a reunion between her and at least one of her children.

I've been so busy that I haven't had much time to read. I'm about 80 or so pages into AGOT. I'm just going to make my way through it slowly and will probably keep reading other stuff too. If I time it right, I can finish ADWD right before the season 3 premiere of the show in April. I'm sure I'll catch more details this time that I missed the previous times I've read the books.

We do not get HBO with our current satelite provider (unless it is a free weekend)...when does this series normally air? Does each season follow the book series? I may have to add HBO to our line up before April

CCL

The third season will start in the Spring. I do not know if they air repeats during the year; they might right before the new season. The first season covered the first book. The second season covered most of book two ( I read all the books back to back so sometimes I can't remember where one ended and the next began ).
    Last edited by CCL; 09-13-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Some of the stuff in the second season actually happened early in book 3, so there is a bit of overlap, but yes, generally each season follows a book. I have HBO and every once in a while I will see an episode airing. Not sure if there is rhyme or reason to it.

I agree, Critical, we haven't yet been told what Brienne said. But I think in reading it and remembering back to the earlier conversations between the two of them, I had a guess about what the word was. Now I just can't for the life of me remember what it was.

+ Reply to Thread