+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

I just finished the first book and have started Clash of Kings. I have to say, I have never toted a novel to the office with me, but now I do. Instead of going to lunch, whenever I can I prefer having a cup of yogurt and spending a little while in the world Martin has created.

Of course, I spend my nights there, too. I think I'm officially hooked.
    Duxxy, Critical and KatesMom like this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I just finished the first book and have started Clash of Kings. I have to say, I have never toted a novel to the office with me, but now I do. Instead of going to lunch, whenever I can I prefer having a cup of yogurt and spending a little while in the world Martin has created.

Of course, I spend my nights there, too. I think I'm officially hooked.
    They are definitely addictive! I'm a really fast reader and it still took me a solid month of reading every night to get through all 5 books. When I finished, I was really sad. Now I have started re-reading, because there is just so much you miss the first time. I couldn't believe how much I had missed in the first book, knowing now where everything is! It took me half the first book just to keep everyone straight! But going back, he definitely knows where this is all going - there is a lot of foreshadowing among all the books.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

OK, you've convinced me it will be worth rereading, but I'm waiting until the next book is in press!

Not to imply I didn't enjoy every page the first time around...just my memory can't hold it all in after a few months.

You have more willpower than I do, PWS! There's no way I'll be able to wait until the next book heads to press to read the series again! I'll probably re-read it every year leading up to the new season of the series.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Slightly NSFW, but completely hilarious....and absolutely TRUE!

Write Like the Wind (George R. R. Martin) - YouTube!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'm now about halfway through A Storm of Swords and I find myself slowing down a little - to make it last. When I finish the first 4, I know I'll miss them. I have read reviews of the 5th that say it disappoints in comparison to the first 4. Of course, I'll be reading it anyway.

I also have rewatched both seasons of the show twice, just to compare. DH now considers me obsessed with GoT.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I don't know what reviews you read about ADWD, but I read nothing but great reviews of it, which I agreed with. IMO, book 4 is the weakest of the series. Book 5 was excellent and, up to the level of books 2 and 3.

Agreed. I thought Book 5 was great. I know it had to leave things with the big cliffhangers leading into the end of the series, but it was so hard finishing Book 5 not knowing when I will get to read Books 6 and 7!! I agree that Book 4 was the weakest. I actually enjoyed it, but when you have read 3 books about the same characters, it is a little tough to have big chunks relating to new characters that you aren't really invested in yet. I still think what happened in Book 4 is important and will tie in to the final ending. He wouldn't waste a whole book on characters and stories that weren't crucial to the ending. I just don't feel like I know enough about them yet to figure out where. I'm wondering if Book 6 is going to go back to them quite a bit to bring us up to speed on where everyone is - with Book 7 then being the ultimate battle and wrap up.

Have finished Game of Thrones & Clash of Kings, and have started the Storm of Swords. I must say that I began reading this series after visiting here and hearing all the interesting posts about this series. (Had finished hunger games and was looking for my next summer read) We do not currently subscribe to HBO so I had not heard of these stories, however I must say that I too find myself reading every spare moment that I can. I found Clash of Kings a non-stop read and after reading some posts here can't wait to really get into this third book. Seeing that you all are saying the books need a second read I will try to savor the pages in this third installment.

Even though everyone is "talking" about the books on this site you have been thoughtful in keeping spoilers limited and tagged. That being said, I must say that I too have favorite characters and actually "cheered" when
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I realized that Rickon & Bran were indeed alive!

Although I am still angry at Caitlyn for not
    Click to see Spoiler:
    using Brienne to lop off Jaime's head
    I am still holding out hope that I will get my ending!

Thanks to all for the great suggestion of reading this series
    Last edited by fan*addict; 08-20-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't know what reviews you read about ADWD, but I read nothing but great reviews of it, which I agreed with. IMO, book 4 is the weakest of the series. Book 5 was excellent and, up to the level of books 2 and 3.
    In terms of negative reviews of Book 5, this one pretty much sums up the salient points (at least for me):

Book Review: A Dance With Dragons | Mother Jones

Of course, I ordered it halfway through A Feast for Crows and it should arrive soon. In the meantime, I cannot believe that I actually started re-reading the first 4 immediately. I also can't believe the details I missed the first time around.

+ Reply to Thread