+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

Re: George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series *spoilers*

I actually have assumed the Song of Ice and Fire solely relates to Jon. He is the ultimate uniting of Fire (through Rhaegar) and Ice (through Lyanna), which is why I think this series may ultimately be his story. But I can definitely see the Jon/Dany link as well.

Ok, another question, which I just read on one of the fan sites (and I have to admit is one of the few things I really never even considered but kind of hope turns out to be true): anyone think Tyrion isn't Tywin's son? That he is another Targareyn and that is why his father hated him so much and why he has all the dragon dreams?

CCL

Hm. I never thought of Tyrion as not being a Lannister. He must share a mother with Cersei/Jaime as Cersei speaks of her anger at him "killing" their mother. But the mother could have had an affair...nonetheless, I think Tyrion is Tywin's son. He's got a lot of Lannister traits. GRRM has made parentage a question for a number of the characters and I think there would be more hints if Tyrion's parentage is in doubt. But who knows? Now I'm wondering if he's connected somehow to the Children of the Forest as, full-grown, they were/are notably small in stature.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I've heard this theory before but haven't decided which way I'm leaning. Aerys *could* have gotten together with Tyrion's mother and this could explain Tyrion's obsession with dragons and he could end up being one of the three dragon heads in the end but there's so little information to support this that I kind of think it's a red herring. IDK - I've gone back and forth about it all.

Perhaps, hopefully, if there's something to learn, we'll find it out when he meets up with Dany...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I've heard this theory before but haven't decided which way I'm leaning. Aerys *could* have gotten together with Tyrion's mother and this could explain Tyrion's obsession with dragons and he could end up being one of the three dragon heads in the end but there's so little information to support this that I kind of think it's a red herring. IDK - I've gone back and forth about it all.

Perhaps, hopefully, if there's something to learn, we'll find it out when he meets up with Dany...
    I don't know, I think if I lived in a land where I KNEW dragons had really existed, I might be obsessed with them too. Heck, I WAS kind of obsessed with dinosaurs as a child and that's about as close as we come to dragons!

I think Tyrion is Tywin's son. There hasn't really been anything to make me think that he isn't
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I know, that's why I said it was something I hadn't even considered. It would be awesome though! And after Ned died in the first book, the remaining books have really been Dany, Tyrion and Jon, in my opinion. Those are the three big stories and the rest revolve around them, more or less. I like the thought that the three of them are bound together and the end of this saga is really tied to the three of them somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I'll certainly not remember them all when the next book comes out....half the time when I'm reading this thread I'm not sure who is being talked about, and I only read them this last fall.... Not sure I can face reading all the 1000's of pages again... I need a Cliff Notes version!
    I have been rereading them all each time a new books comes out, and I have to say I never really get tired of them.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I'll be re-reading them again before the next season of the show, for sure.

For me, 1,000 pages isn't enough! I want MORE and am always sad when I finish each book.
    Misty8723 and cantstopwatchin like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'll be re-reading them again before the next season of the show, for sure.

For me, 1,000 pages isn't enough! I want MORE and am always sad when I finish each book.
    Which is saying a lot, considering how big each book is. But I feel the same way.

I remember GRRM discussing on his blog (I think) how his publisher keeps asking him to trim his books and how he goes about that and all I kept thinking is no! Why would they do that?!? I love big books and remember saying as a teenager, the bigger the book, the better the story. I'd love to GRRM to someday release a set of the "trimmings" he wish had been in the books. That'd be a fun read!
    Misty8723 and Critical like this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Which is saying a lot, considering how big each book is. But I feel the same way.

I remember GRRM discussing on his blog (I think) how his publisher keeps asking him to trim his books and how he goes about that and all I kept thinking is no! Why would they do that?!? I love big books and remember saying as a teenager, the bigger the book, the better the story. I'd love to GRRM to someday release a set of the "trimmings" he wish had been in the books. That'd be a fun read!
    It seems like what actually happens is GRRM decides to make another book instead of "trimming" them.

+ Reply to Thread