+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas novels, anyone?

Christmas novels, anyone?

Okay, so Iím a big softie and tend to gravitate towards tearjerkers pretty much all year round Ė but come December, I practically gorge on Christmas novels, the sappier, the better. You know the type: lost/desillusioned hero(ine) learns The True Meaning of Christmas. Just canít get enough of íem, although my tear ducts beg to differ. During the last couple of years, Iíve read and enjoyed Christmas, Present by Jacquelyn Mitchard, A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg, Comfort and Joy by Kristin Hannah. This year, I thought Iíd read The Gift by Cecilia Ahern and Ė canít wait for this one since Lamb is one of my all-time faves! Ė Wishiní and Hopiní by Wally Lamb but since I figure a gal canít get enough of Christmas novels, Iíd love for other FORTers to share your best Christmas novels. Any takers?

Love,

So not the Grinch
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL

Re: Christmas novels, anyone?

I did read a Christmas Carol last year as I was in London right before Christmas. I generally like Dickens but I found it a bit boring. I don't think I've read any other Christmas stories apart from children ones.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I love those Christmas novels too. As a matter of fact I think I have a box somewhere of just Christmas books. I used to take them out and reread them every year - until I rediscovered the library and I've been getting new books to read instead.

I don't have any recommendations, but I do share your appreciation for them. Normally Debbie Macomber has a new Christmas book out each year. Not sure of this year.

Right now I am reading The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman. It has a Christmas theme and is an ok read so far.
    The Christmas Cookie Club | Book by Ann Pearlman - Simon & Schuster

MRD

I really enjoyed the Christmas Cookie Club.

One of the funniest books I've read is Christmas in Harmony by Philliip Gulley. The entire series is great, but the progressive nativity in this book is a scream.

I'm also a fan of Jan Karon's Mitford books and she's written a couple Christmas ones called Esthers Gift and The Mitford Snowmen. Shepard's Abiding is good too, but it's part of the series and I really do think you need to read the entire series.
    Not so with the Harmony books.

Skipping Christmas (movie version: Christmas with the Kranks) by John Grisham is good too. I liked it so much better than the movie.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That reminds me of an absolutely hilarious book I read years ago that still makes me laugh--The Joyous Season by Patrick Dennis.
    “A Joyous Season” lampoons good holidays gone bad | Alibris blog

Susan Wiggs and Richard Paul Evans.
    One of my favorite Christmas stories is Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry. It is a children's book.
    Mr. Willowby receives his Christmas tree and it is too tall for his house, he cuts the top off. The top goes to the upstairs maid, too tall, she cuts the top off and throws it in the trash. The gardener then takes the top and, too tall, cuts the top off and throws it away. Then the forrest animals all take a piece each one cutting the top off and passing it along, until the smallest tip ends up in the mouse's house.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 12-01-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Pete Hamill wrote a lovely little book called The Gift that's set in Brooklyn in 1952 and centers on a sailor who's home on leave for Christmas. My mom and I LOVE Hamill, so I got this for her for Christmas last year and read it myself. It was really good and not quite as schmaltzy as some Christmas books. For some reason, while I love cheesy Christmas TV movies, I don't really like cheesy Christmas books

Anyway, here's a little plot summary:
    Brooklyn, 1952. It is Christmastime and a young sailor named Pete is home on leave, temporarily liberated from the specter of war in Korea. He’s back in the old neighborhood, discovering firsthand that the girl he left behind evidently meant what she said in the Dear John letter she sent him. He’s back in the dreary Seventh Avenue apartment that his mother can ill afford to decorate for the holidays. And he’s back facing off with Billy, the gruff Irish factory worker who is his father, yet seems forever a stranger--until, on Christmas Eve, Pete pays his first visit to Rattigan’s, the local bar where his father hangs out, the place where Billy seems most fully alive.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

IF you can find it, Christmas Gift by Ferrol Sams is a great book. It is set in rural Georgia during the Depression and is true. His other books are great too. Run with the Horsemen is fabulous and our very own Queenb here on Fort knows the good doctor and he was her doctor when she was growing up. He had to have been a wonderful doctor as he's a GREAT storyteller, so am sure he put his patients at ease.

But my family has always had a tradition of greeting each other on Christmas morning by saying: "Christmas Gift". I never knew where that came from until I read that book.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4118735;
    IF you can find it, Christmas Gift by Ferrol Sams is a great book. It is set in rural Georgia during the Depression and is true. His other books are great too. Run with the Horsemen is fabulous and our very own Queenb here on Fort knows the good doctor and he was her doctor when she was growing up. He had to have been a wonderful doctor as he's a GREAT storyteller, so am sure he put his patients at ease.

But my family has always had a tradition of greeting each other on Christmas morning by saying: "Christmas Gift". I never knew where that came from until I read that book.
    I'll have to get that book then as my family says this too and I never knew why they did, or that others did too! My great aunt and great uncle both tried to be first to say it when they were together which when I was growing up wasn't until Christmas night. Didn't win any prizes but they always wanted to be the first to say it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast