+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas novels, anyone?

Re: Christmas novels, anyone?

Many great suggestions in this thread, thanks guys!

Just found out that India Knight (British chick lit writer) has a new novel with a Christmas theme called Comfort and Joy. If I remember correctly, I've read one or two of her previous novels and enjoyed them, so I'll look out for this one.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4118744;
    I'll have to get that book then as my family says this too and I never knew why they did, or that others did too! My great aunt and great uncle both tried to be first to say it when they were together which when I was growing up wasn't until Christmas night. Didn't win any prizes but they always wanted to be the first to say it.
    Oh we play that game too, trying to be the first to say it. I hate it when I get beat!

Well you may be a bit disappointed in why they say it. It is a tradition that goes back to plantation days and slavery. The slaves would come up to the "big house" Christmas morning and say "Christmas Gift" and their master would give them new clothing and usually some fruit and candy for the kids.
    It then became the sharecroppers doing it to the landlord that owned the land.
    But it also spread to the white families as well later.

We still say it as it was such a huge part of my family's Christmases growing up.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Debbie Macomber's Christmas books are always fun to read, no brainers, but heart warming. Two of her books were just on the Hallmark channel....Mrs. Miracle and the other had Mrs. Miracle in it also, but can't remember the name. Hubs enjoyed the movies as well.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4119331;
    Oh we play that game too, trying to be the first to say it. I hate it when I get beat!

Well you may be a bit disappointed in why they say it. It is a tradition that goes back to plantation days and slavery. The slaves would come up to the "big house" Christmas morning and say "Christmas Gift" and their master would give them new clothing and usually some fruit and candy for the kids.
    It then became the sharecroppers doing it to the landlord that owned the land.
    But it also spread to the white families as well later.

We still say it as it was such a huge part of my family's Christmases growing up.
    And I made my mom get the book from her library! I wonder if I should warn her.

Everyone in my family says it now, they even have started saying it on Christmas Eve at my grandmother's. Now when I call them they answer with Christmas Gift! I am so out of the loop that I always forget now but I have such fond memories of my aunt and uncle trying to be the first to say it to each other.

FORT Fogey

Christmas on the Great Plains isn't a novel, but it's a lovely collection of short pieces--fiction and non-fiction and some of them sections of novels themselves. It's nice if you just would like to read a few pages before bed or need a short piece to read at some kind of holiday event. There are selections from both contemporary and older works.

There's also a surprisingly touching Christmas chapter in, of all places, Richard Hooker's M*A*S*H Goes to Maine. I believe it's called "The Moose of Moose Bend."

Thanks MRD for the recommendation of Christmas Gift. What an absolutely delightful read.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12