+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ape House--and other novels by Sarah Gruen

Re: Ape House--and other novels by Sarah Gruen

Whoa! Thank you for that! When does it come out?
    Count your blessings!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4127769;
    Whoa! Thank you for that! When does it come out?
    April 15 I believe. Doesn't that trailer look lush, just spectacular! I can just imagine how Sarah Gruen might feel, seeing her gem of a book look this good onscreen.

Unfortunately... as many Pattinson fans as there are, there are also a lot (my daughters included) who automatically write him off based on his Twilight performances. They both loved the book, but I don't know if I could get them to see a movie with him in it.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;4127641;
    I am a big fan of Water for Elephants and now the movie trailer is out. It is visually stunning, I can not wait for this movie!

YouTube - "Water for Elephants" Trailer
    Wow..that really is a beautiful trailer.

I loved the trailer for the movie, thanks so much for posting . I loved the book, and though I'm often quite skeptical that the magic of a good book can translate to a good movie, I'm also looking forward to it. And I like Reese Witherspoon, she's not my favourite actress but I do think she's good. Robert Pattinson, I'm not sure about. I didn't like the Twilight books, and I decided not to watch the movies either, so I have no idea what he's like as an actor and I'll keep an open mind about him .

I read Ape House over the holiday at my parents' house. I enjoyed it and finished it in an afternoon, which made me very glad I hadn't bought it! For me, it wasn't as good at Water for Elephants. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it just wasn't as rich as WFE. Plus, the dog storyline was too contrived.

I look forward to whatever Gruen writes next and I probably will see the WFE movie. The preview looked good.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I loved WFE. I will probably pick it up and re-read it before the film comes out. I've always though old-timey circuses had kind of a "creepy" feel to them that was completely present in the book for me. Not sure that will translate to the film, but I will certainly watch it to find out. I think Christoph Waltz could be brilliant as August!!

Water for Elephants is out today, I can't wait to see it. Yay!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yikes...just read a review of the film, and it got totally panned. RP was wooden, there was no chemistry with Reese (reviewer goes on to say that while she's a good actress the reviewer has never seen her have good chem with anyone, so maybe it's her), the evil husband isn't evil enough, etc. I think they liked the animal actors.... This is not a paper that always pans "popular" movies either---they even go so far as to point out that some films are critic proof...apparently this one didn't qualify. Well, be interesting to see what others say, and what talldede says!

PWS - The reviews are mixed, but the movie is sitting at over 50% on Rotten Tomatoes with plenty of great and good reviews. So, don't be influenced by just one. Personally, I can't wait to see it, just for the grand spectacle of the circus in the 1930's. The cinematography is supposed to be gorgeous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast