+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Percy and the Olympians series--Lightning Thief

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The Percy and the Olympians series--Lightning Thief

I only started this because of the movie--hadn't heard of it before, and even though it is clearly aimed at younger teens still found it enjoyable. I took a lot of Latin in high school and always enjoyed reading Greek and Roman mythology so really was intrigued by all the ways the author worked that in. There's even a Trojan war reference --a parallel to Achilles sulking in his tent and coming back to the fight when Patroclus dies. Definitely would recommend it to late grade school or junior high readers, but it's fun for older people as well.
    I've now ripped through all 5 books I see on Kindle. Although those do resolve the major issues I sensed the ending left it a bit open for more books--anyone know if more are planned?
    PS There's a lot of fighting, and "good" characters do die (the bad ones just vaporize), but no sex beyond a G rated kiss. It's even something you could read aloud with younger kids. I read Greek myths to/with mine who loved them (well, not the general unfairness of the gods, but the stories), and since they had some background they would have loved these as well.
    Last edited by PWS; 03-01-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Re: The Percy and the Olympians series--Lightening Thief

PWS... I do believe there is at least a 6th one that is coming out. Not sure when. I, too, thought they were very enjoyable. I read them all after watching the movie a few weeks ago.

Just went and looked. Apparently the 6th book comes out this fall and it starts a new series that is based around Camp HalfBlood. But it will involve a new set of demiGods (with the old ones blended in.) And he's also allegedly releasing a new series in May that involves Egyptian mythology.
    Last edited by Broadway; 03-01-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: The Percy and the Olympians series--Lightening Thief

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3844060;
    PWS... I do believe there is at least a 6th one that is coming out. Not sure when. I, too, thought they were very enjoyable. I read them all after watching the movie a few weeks ago.

Just went and looked. Apparently the 6th book comes out this fall and it starts a new series that is based around Camp HalfBlood. But it will involve a new set of demiGods (with the old ones blended in.) And he's also allegedly releasing a new series in May that involves Egyptian mythology.
    Very cool! He'll have to have a different premise for that though...not as if Egyptian civilization has persisted in the same sense Greek/Roman/Western civilization were linked/persisted.
    And very good news that there's a 6th Olympian book coming out. It did seem as if Percy had run his course with the first 5 and would hand things over to a new crop in the future.

+ Reply to Thread