+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Stephanie Plum novels to be movie

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Stephanie Plum novels to be movie

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    A high school extraterrestrial who ate hot sauce...nice. I'm going to have to dig out my Roswell tapes.
    Methinks this is strictly a "watch it when it comes on the tv movie channel" film.
    Yes, thanks, couldn't think of the name of the show, glad you recognized it!

I saw it a few days ago. My friend leaned over at the end and said "This is a $2 movie." Yep, that about sums it up. It wasn't BAD, really. I mean, Katherine Heigl wasn't horrible, although her accent seemed to come and go and she just lacked something that maybe Sandra Bullock 10 years ago would have had in the role. The actor playing Ranger was cute, but he was too cute - not dangerous at all. Maybe it was the dimples. Jason O'Mara (who I love) was adorable, but not right to play an Italian with those big, Irish blue eyes. Debbie Reynolds is wonderful, but she's not right for Hungarian (or is it Romanian?) Grandma Mazur. Sherri Shephard was okay, but she was like a Hollywood version of Lula. I mean that she was too thin and too sweet. Lula is big and tacky and loud. A bra strap and a bad wig doesn't make someone Lula.

Overall, the movie needed a better editor. It was not tight. Too slow and laggy, if that makes sense. There were some good moments, but all in all - and this is bad for an action-y comedy - it was slow. It was only about 90 minutes, so a better editor would have turned it into an hour, so that might have been a problem too!
    Mike'sgirl likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We just got home from watching it. I enjoyed it and my husband laughed quite a bit. There were funny parts and I agree with Critical on most of what she said. I thought kathryn was better than I thought she'd be, but she wasn't 'bumbling' enough. She usually gets the bad guy by sheer accident...lol. In the movie, she was more together if that makes sense.

I absolutely did not like Debbie as Grandma. Grandma is wacky and strange and hilarious. Debbie didn't bring any of that to the role. She was too....refined? Classy? Eh...something like that. Lulu...wtf was that dress she had on at the end? Lulu wouldn't be caught dead in that thing. Not tight enough, not flashy enough and not fluorescent enough...lol I really liked Connie, though.

All in all, it was good, not great. But I love the books so it was fun seeing it play out on the big screen.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I always saw Grandma Mazur as some skinny wizened crazy pip of an old lady with tightly permed hair. I agree DR seems to classy for the role. I could see Lula being Monique at her sassiest!
    JavaJo likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I think I will skip the movie and not sully How I picture the characters in my head.lol The Rock is who I picture as Ranger. Good looking and deadly also.lol
    Mike'sgirl likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I think I will skip the movie and not sully How I picture the characters in my head.lol The Rock is who I picture as Ranger. Good looking and deadly also.lol
    My coworker says the same thing about Ranger. I listen to the books on CD, so my notions of the characters comes from the woman who reads them.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I always saw Grandma Mazur as some skinny wizened crazy pip of an old lady with tightly permed hair. I agree DR seems to classy for the role. I could see Lula being Monique at her sassiest!
    I always imagined Estelle Getty as Grandma Mazur.

For me, The Rock is too brutish. I always imagined someone less smiley and more mysterious. Frankly, I don't think TR can act....he can over-act. There was never a particular person in my head for Ranger when I read the books. They could have found an unknown who fit the bill nicely, IMO.

Yeah, this review about sums it up: Movie Review: Don't Spend Money on One for the Money -- Vulture
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I always imagined Estelle Getty as Grandma Mazur.

For me, The Rock is too brutish. I always imagined someone less smiley and more mysterious. Frankly, I don't think TR can act....he can over-act. There was never a particular person in my head for Ranger when I read the books. They could have found an unknown who fit the bill nicely, IMO.

Yeah, this review about sums it up: Movie Review: Don't Spend Money on One for the Money -- Vulture
    Estelle Geddy would have been great. I also liked the woman who played the Nanny's grandmother, Yetta, on the TV show, Ann Morgan Guilbert,

Ranger has to not only be gorgeous but very dangerous looking.
    Mike'sgirl likes this.

Just finished watching this On Demand. I think Ranger is totally miscast. He is physically too small to be Ranger and there is absolutely no physical chemistry between Ranger and Stephanie. There is a bit of tension between Stephanie and Joe Morelli but it is more the actors pushing it. What I love about the Stephanie Plum books is that they are belly aching laughable. This movie is not. It's like all this cohesion and comedic timing is totally lost surprisingly Katherine Heigel does a better job playing Stephanie Plum then I thought she would but overall this movie falls flat. C-.
    Mike'sgirl, Shoepie and MsDiva2007 like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Estelle Geddy would have been great. I also liked the woman who played the Nanny's grandmother, Yetta, on the TV show, Ann Morgan Guilbert,

Ranger has to not only be gorgeous but very dangerous looking.
    and taller! In one of the books, Janet said Ranger was just a little taller then Morelli; in my head thoug,h I have always pictured him just slightly shorter than Morelli. Anyway, casting for the movie was awful. I had a hard time purging my brain in reading Notorious Nineteen. I think I have "my" guys back now, but I can't see any more movies made in this series; unless they recast.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

+ Reply to Thread