+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Books That Remain Unread

Re: The Books That Remain Unread

I buy books very seldomly ( I'm one of the few persons at work my age *ehem* who still go to the library regularly) so my rule has always been, if it's cost me then it will get read, come hell or high water. I don't read all of my library books, but that doesn't prey on my conscience quite as much . Of the 25 books listed on the site, I've only read one, The Almost Moon. But I understand why it would be in this list although I loved, loved The Lovely Bones.

In my own personal list of unread books, I have The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (I haven't been able to finish it, after a year in my book pile); The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (everyone seems to have read and loved it); the second book in the Twilight series (I forget the name, hmmm, but I just can't seem to get past the first few chapters before wanting to scream); and The Angel's game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, no matter how much I liked The Shadow of the Wind.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I have so many books I haven't read yet. It's always a dilemma when I'm choosing a new book to read--do I stick to tried and true books I love (I reread books a lot) or try a book I haven't read yet? Generally the tried and true wins over the unknown. I'm so afraid I'll end up wasting time on a book that disappoints.

Then I have books that I started to read but they didn't capture my interest or were above my reading level at the time and I haven't given them a second chance yet. I bought Utopia by Sir Thomas More while I was in high school, intrigued by the description of it in English class, but at the time I didn't really understand it so I set it aside and haven't yet taken another crack at it.

My dad tried to get me interested in Robert Ludlum but it was over my head at the time. Maybe now that I'm older I'll be able to follow his books better.

I bought Dante's Inferno but it's hard for me to follow. I might need to get one of those study guide books they have for classic novels so I can figure out the translation of the book.

I am a thriller, adventure, fantasy book reader at this time, though my twenties and thirties were clouded with romances which I discovered through the Georgette Heyer series smuggled in from Canada when I was in college. Anyway, I have actually read two books from the list: Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead, when I was 12 (it was one of Mom's Book of the Month club purchases) and Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, which was later made into a movie. Heinlein was a great favorite in our home when I was a child and though I can't remember the name of it, his story of a young girl who inadvertently travels across the universe has always stuck with me.

Anyway, if someone tells me I have to read a book because it is a classic, I tend to get sick to my stomach.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I am a thriller, adventure, fantasy book reader at this time, though my twenties and thirties were clouded with romances which I discovered through the Georgette Heyer series smuggled in from Canada when I was in college. Anyway, I have actually read two books from the list: Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead, when I was 12 (it was one of Mom's Book of the Month club purchases) and Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, which was later made into a movie. Heinlein was a great favorite in our home when I was a child and though I can't remember the name of it, his story of a young girl who inadvertently travels across the universe has always stuck with me.

Anyway, if someone tells me I have to read a book because it is a classic, I tend to get sick to my stomach.
    I have been searching and searching and can find no reference to this movie. Was it made under another name?
    Count your blessings!

I looked for a reference as well, but all I have is my memory of David Bowie standing at the edge of a swimming pool. However, the word Grok is from the book and has been used in popular culture as a short cut to "understand".
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I looked for a reference as well, but all I have is my memory of David Bowie standing at the edge of a swimming pool. However, the word Grok is from the book and has been used in popular culture as a short cut to "understand".
    I believe that you are thinking of The Man Who Fell to Earth, which thematically is a stranger in a strange land situation, but what alien on earth movie isn't? This movie was based on the novel of the same name, written by Walter Tevis, who also wrote The Hustler and The Colour of Money, among other books.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I do believe you are correct, Rattus, thank you.

Isn't the term Grok is from Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein? Been ages since I read it.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Well, my annual New Year's resolution is to finally read Ulysses. This year, I didn't even bother. I know I'll probably never read it, so why bother to pretend I will? There are too many other great books out there to read!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I keep telling myself I will finally read WAr and Peace, but it still sits on my shelf gathering dust. I was into different medical history books but I just haven't gotten to them. More recently, the rest of the series of Fifty shades of Grey is unread. That first book was probably the worst book I have ever read. I am kicking myself for buying the books, but so many people thought they were so wonderful, I decided to see what the fuss was about and the trilogy was on sale. I guess I could use them for my wobbly table.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast