+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Books That Remain Unread

Re: The Books That Remain Unread

sjjmom, after reading the book, I didn't think I could make it through the movie-- I would have been a mess. It's a great one, though. And funnily enough, after thinking some more about Marley and Me last night, a friend had linked to an old Bill Simmons column about one of his dogs. I reread this one this morning and again, teared up at the end.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3788152;
    I've read 6 of them (and raved about Cloud Atlas here). What I have on my shelf and haven't read because it is HUGE is The Historian.
    The Historian intimidated me at first too, but once I started reading, i was hooked!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I've read 8 of the books on that list, some for school and some on my own. There are very few books that I haven't actually gotten through, I'm kind of push forward, keep going type person. I know I didn't finish Conrad's Heart of Darkness when I was in high school because I just didn't understand what was going on. I actually put down and picked up the first Harry Potter book many times (and now I love the series) and had to really push myself to finish Wicked, as well as the sequel (I felt like I was missing something when I read it and then read it again and still wasn't getting it).

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I've read five... and there are many on that list I have no interest in reading and will never buy. "Rahda" looks really really good though.

It isn't a novel, but a few years ago I picked up "Grays Anatomy" in novel size (though thick lol) and had every intention of reading it. Intentions are good, huh?
    I also have a pile of Pierre Berton books I've bought for the Canadian in me, but haven't read them. :s Lastly, I've been meaning to read Kafka's "Amerika", just haven't gotten to it.

A curious juxtaposition to books you've bought but haven't read would be books you HAVE read more than a few times. Funny how we have unread books, and yet turn to a book we've read before.

Some I've read more than twice:
    "Shardik" Richard Adams (Actually I just noticed I have The Plague Dogs by same author on my shelf, haven't read it. lol)
    "To Kill a Mockingbird" (read this one at least 5 times when I was kid)
    L'Engle books
    "A Prayer for Owen Meany"
    "Mercy Among the Children" David Adams Richards (3 times)
    "Lord of the Rings"
    etc.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3790466;
    No?!?!?! As I think you know, I LOVE Peter Mayle! (I'm reading Provence A-Z right now, actually.) Is it A Dog's Life?
    :: runs to Barnes and Noble's website to check availability ::
    Yes, It's a Dog's Life. Hysterically funny book.

Wrigleydog, I didn't get WIcked either. I didn't bother with the sequel.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I will confess I have not read any of the 25 on the list.

For my own personal reading, I will be the third to agree about the "Wicked" series. I love the music from the musical and I desperately wanted to love the books. I have gotten through about 1/3 of it and put it down. I checked out the audio book from the library in hopes to achieve it that way. I even tried to force myself to read it by buying the sequel with the idea that I spent money on BOTH books and should read at least one of them. Much to my regret, nothing worked. I could not get into it beyond that third.

I do have the Marley and Me book. I found it at the thrift store at the church I teach preschool in for 50 cents. I found it along with two other books that I read years ago but want to re-read wondering if the actual reading will live up to the memories I have of reading them, The Thornbirds, Anne of Green Gables.

I finally took a look at the 25 books on the list and I've read 6 of them.
    Since I was an English major, I'm just surprised I haven't read more of them.
    And, I'm the first to admit that these days I read primarily for pleasure. There's a lot to be said for the classics, but as an ex teacher, I'm just happy to see adults and children pick up any book that pleases them.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I haven't read any of those 25 books! & I doubt I ever will. In addition, I tried to read the Hobbit & didn't get very far. I also have the Lord of the Rings books, which seeing as I didn't get through the Hobbit, those are a long shot. I also never read the ending to the 5th Harry Potter. But I saw the movie & just moved right into 6. I'm not a big classic fan, I couldn't even read P&P & Zombies. Although I did read some Sherlock Holmes & liked that.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

I've read five of the books. Some of the list I'd never heard of until looking at that website. I seem to gravitate towards mysteries, spies and sweeping historical fiction with a few romances thown in. Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I'll read anything if I'm bored enough. When mr. gracie and I were first married, I read the yellow pages of the phonebook and a set of encyclopedias! I've even been known to read the world almanac.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Gracie, I got my daugher a children's encyclopedia (just 1 book for A-Z) and she will just pull it out & read it.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast