+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Books That Remain Unread

Re: The Books That Remain Unread

I have read three of the books on the list. I read Moby Dick in school and also read Anna Karenina in school. I later read War and Peace on my own.

I don't abandon a book easily because I'm stubborn. The two offhand that I remember were Jewel by Bret Lott and Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. The first was an Oprah selection. I got about halfway in and decided I just did not care what was going to happen to any of the characters. The second had an interesting premise, but I just felt like it wasn't getting to the point. I think I have them both stashed in a closet because I figured someday I would force myself to get through them.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3788152;
    I've read 6 of them (and raved about Cloud Atlas here). What I have on my shelf and haven't read because it is HUGE is The Historian.
    I LOVED the historian. Critical I read it fast too. If the book is interesting, I can read it fairly quickly. If it's not all that great, then it takes me a while. Just took me a week to read a 200 page paperback, but read Dan Brown's latest in a day.

OK, so very guilty of buying some books yesterday off the bargain rack. Got home and realized I had already read 2 of them. But they were only $2!!!!!

I've read 3 of the books on the list and must say I hated them. I have finally reached an age where I am ok with admitting that I just don't want to read something only because it is considered a "classic". If it sounds interesting, I will read it, classic or not. If not, then no.

I have all 6 volumes of Churchill's History of WWII and all 4 volumes of his History of the English Speaking Peoples. Wanted them for years, finally got them, haven't touched them. But I won't get rid of them as I "might" use them for reference. (and that is actually very likely)
    The books I do not tend to read that are still sitting here are self help books that people give me. I just cannot do self help books.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-07-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3788152;
    I've read 6 of them (and raved about Cloud Atlas here). What I have on my shelf and haven't read because it is HUGE is The Historian.
    I burned my way through that book...loved it!

I've read Anna Karenina, parts of Ulysses (my Joyce class in University) and I think I did a book report on Profiles in Courage more years ago than I can count. I've read everything Jane Austen wrote, and if I like a book I will read it again and again. A lot of the books on that list hold NO interest to me. There are just so many books to be read in this lifetime and so little time to get to all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3788485;
    I went through a period in my early 20's where I decided to read "all" the classics and I really did read a lot of them. I've probably read more classics than the average person because I was so dorkily obsessed with the task. Still - as CCL knows - I never have been able to finish Vanity Fair, although I've tried twice. Same with Middlemarch. Sometimes, you just don't click with a particular writing style, I guess. ...
    I'm glad to not be the only who has never gotten through Middlemarch. I found it dull and wanted to strangle Dorothea (is that even her correct name? ) throughout the parts I did make it through.

The Austen books I've cleared through multiple times. Eventually The Historian will get a look.

We had to read Middlemarch for an English class at University. I started but didn't finish it, confident that I could write the final exam about the other books we had discussed and read. Until the last class before the exam when the Prof said that we must devote 30% of our final exam essay to MIDDLEMARCH...ugh. So, here's me, trying to read it all in one go because I had to read it before I could find usable passages, imagery, themes, etc. Mr. Sweetpea came into the bedroom where I was feverishly studying to find me slumped forward on the bed, still cross-legged, asleep with the book in my face. I love English Lit, I majored in it, but I never got into Middlemarch.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by sjjmom;3788204;
    The only two books I've read from that list are Anna Karenina (an all-time favorite of mine) and War and Peace.

My "someday I'll read it" list includes all of Jane Austen's books and Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Every once in a while I'll hear about some other "classic" or "important" book and think I should probably read it as well. Maybe someday I'll get to all of them, maybe not. Tbh, I don't feel that guilty about it. I read because it's enjoyable, so pushing myself to read something when I just don't want to kind of ruins the whole experience for me.
    I've read all of Jane Austen's books and a good portion of Dickens. I didn't include them in my post as they were not on the 25 list. So, yes, I'm just doing this post to pat myself on the back and show that I have read something.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I've totally fallen prey to the "It's an important/classic book, so I should read it" thing. The Charterhouse of Parma sat on a shelf for years before I finally read it and, really, I wasn't that impressed.

I have the entire series of Trollope's Pallisher (sp? because I'm too lazy to go look) novels and have never even opened them. They do look nice sitting there in the shelf though.

I went through a period in my early 20's where I decided to read "all" the classics and I really did read a lot of them. I've probably read more classics than the average person because I was so dorkily obsessed with the task. Still - as CCL knows - I never have been able to finish Vanity Fair, although I've tried twice. Same with Middlemarch. Sometimes, you just don't click with a particular writing style, I guess.
    The "it's an important/classic book so I should read it" happened to me with Count of Monte Cristo. I did finish it but I hated it.

I do enjoy Trollope. I've read the Barchester series but I've never read the Palliser series. I believe I have the first book or two in my "to read" pile (I know there are some Trollope books in there).
    I enjoyed Middlemarch though I did have to skim through some of it (took a literature class in summer school while at university which basically involved reading a book a week. And Middlemarch is something like 800 pages...and that was just one of the weeks!).
    Vanity Fair...sigh.
    Last edited by CCL; 01-08-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3788931;
    I LOVED the historian. Critical I read it fast too. If the book is interesting, I can read it fairly quickly. If it's not all that great, then it takes me a while. Just took me a week to read a 200 page paperback, but read Dan Brown's latest in a day.

OK, so very guilty of buying some books yesterday off the bargain rack. Got home and realized I had already read 2 of them. But they were only $2!!!!!

I've read 3 of the books on the list and must say I hated them. I have finally reached an age where I am ok with admitting that I just don't want to read something only because it is considered a "classic". If it sounds interesting, I will read it, classic or not. If not, then no.
    Well, MRD took the words right out of my mouth... I read The Historian awhile back and it definitely didn't take me that long. I've also bought books only to arrive at home and realize I've read them. More than once.

And while I haven't read any of the books on that list, I'm not going to force anything upon myself. I suffered through way too many reading experiences in middle and high school to drag myself through a book just because I should. (Of course, in school, it seemed like if it wasn't the book, it was the discussion that ensued, or the teacher, or something). Life is too short.

Can't believe she didn't like Marley and Me. I think anyone who has owned a dog, and particularly a boisterous one, can relate to that book. The hard part was reading the book knowing what had to eventually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3789494;
    We had to read Middlemarch for an English class at University. I started but didn't finish it, confident that I could write the final exam about the other books we had discussed and read. Until the last class before the exam when the Prof said that we must devote 30% of our final exam essay to MIDDLEMARCH...ugh. So, here's me, trying to read it all in one go because I had to read it before I could find usable passages, imagery, themes, etc. Mr. Sweetpea came into the bedroom where I was feverishly studying to find me slumped forward on the bed, still cross-legged, asleep with the book in my face. I love English Lit, I majored in it, but I never got into Middlemarch.
    Dear lord, does THAT ever resonate, at least as far as my high school career was concerned. When we read The Odyssey freshman year, we had to pick another piece of classical literature from a list for outside reading. Well, I found The Odyssey insufferable enough all on its own, and was none too excited to jump into The Illiad at the same time. So, two or three days before the paper was due, I had to read the entire book in all of its excruciating glory. Wasn't the only time, too-- happened with The Grapes of Wrath, and prior to the dreaded A Tale of Two Cities quote test. If I thought reading the books to write papers was hard, trying to study for a quote test was deadly.

Gosh, you would think from all of this I don't like reading. I guess there's a reason they call it reading for pleasure, because that I do enjoy.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 01-08-2010 at 10:17 PM.

MRD

Marley and Me was great. Makes my dogs look like saints. I even watched the movie after reading the book, knowing what would happen. Still very worth it. The book was great.

Ever read that book by Peter Mayle about the dog? I can't remember the name. It is funny. All his are. Most take place in France.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3790455;
    Marley and Me was great. Makes my dogs look like saints. I even watched the movie after reading the book, knowing what would happen. Still very worth it. The book was great.

Ever read that book by Peter Mayle about the dog? I can't remember the name. It is funny. All his are. Most take place in France.
    No?!?!?! As I think you know, I LOVE Peter Mayle! (I'm reading Provence A-Z right now, actually.) Is it A Dog's Life?
    :: runs to Barnes and Noble's website to check availability ::

FORT Fan

Hmm, I may have to consider reading Marley and Me. I saw the movie, but didn't even realize there was a book. I love animal stories. My favorites are the books written by James Herriot. (All Things Bright and Beautiful, etc).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast