+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Google Puts Life Magazine online for free

Google Puts Life Magazine online for free

Google as Iím sure a lot of you know is in the process of digitizing & making available books, books, & more books for everyone to read online. But, they are also putting up complete runs of magazines, which really letís you read American History as it was being reported at the time. Their latest endeavor is Life Magazine. You can read them beginning with the first issue of Nov. 23, 1936 ( they are reporting that something called Social Security is to begin on Jan. 1, 1937 & The NBC Radio Network is celebrating itĎs 10th year) at the following link.

LIFE - Google Books

It is really tough to get a complete list of all the magazines they have available, for some unknown reason they donít provide a list themselves, nor any links, you just have to do some creative searching. But, I did find some of the others that are out there including :

Billboard beginning Jan 1942, Baseball Digest July 1945, Ebony March 1962, Kiplingers Personal Finance 1947, Mother Jones 1976, & Popular Science May 1872. I know there are others, but as I say finding the info is nearly impossible. I for one would love to see the Saturday Evening Post.

If nothing else, you have to love the old Advertisements. Did you know that a 1937 Hudson could be had for $775, or that Listerene was at one time promoted as a cure for dandruf?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Google Puts Life Magazine online for free

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3720194;
    Google as Iím sure a lot of you know is in the process of digitizing & making available books, books, & more books for everyone to read online. But, they are also putting up complete runs of magazines, which really letís you read American History as it was being reported at the time. Their latest endeavor is Life Magazine. You can read them beginning with the first issue of Nov. 23, 1936 ( they are reporting that something called Social Security is to begin on Jan. 1, 1937 & The NBC Radio Network is celebrating itĎs 10th year) at the following link.

LIFE - Google Books

It is really tough to get a complete list of all the magazines they have available, for some unknown reason they donít provide a list themselves, nor any links, you just have to do some creative searching. But, I did find some of the others that are out there including :

Billboard beginning Jan 1942, Baseball Digest July 1945, Ebony March 1962, Kiplingers Personal Finance 1947, Mother Jones 1976, & Popular Science May 1872. I know there are others, but as I say finding the info is nearly impossible. I for one would love to see the Saturday Evening Post.

If nothing else, you have to love the old Advertisements. Did you know that a 1937 Hudson could be had for $775, or that Listerene was at one time promoted as a cure for dandruf?
    That's hysterical!

Thanks...that's a great teaching resource to know about.

Re: Google Puts Life Magazine online for free

Just in case anyone is interested:

Dec. 7, 1936, 5 years until Pearl Harbor.

A one year subscription…$3.50

A new Plymouth is $510. A 1937 Oldsmobile is $685.

A pair of Florsheim shoes $8.75

An Argus 35mm camera, $12.50

Noel Coward has made $5 million from his Broadway & movie roles. Reportedly acting's richest performer.

Buddy Rogers & Mary Pickford are engaged, meanwhile Lili Damita has filed for divorce from Errol Flynn.

Chew with a purpose, use Oralgene gum, a new Beechnut product.

For Digestion’s sake, smoke Camels Cigarettes.

Lots of alcohol ads:
    Paul Jones Whiskey …A Gentleman’s Whiskey since 1865
    Hennessy Cognac Brandy…flavor, bouquet, taste 84 proof
    Teachers Scotch…it’s the flavor since 1830.

Movie of the Week, 20th Century Fox’s Lloyds Of London starring Virginia Field, Tyrone Power & Madeleine Carroll

Adolf Hitler is being hailed in Germany as the revivalist who will awaken all Europe & save the world from Communism. He is being called the fulcrum on which peace or war for Europe teeters. There is a big photo essay of his life & times. Some really interesting historical photos.

+ Reply to Thread