+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 64 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Kindle

Thanks Critical for suggesting I start a new thread about the Kindle. It arrived 4 hours ago and I can't believe how much I love it. I started putting books in my archives at Amazon as soon as I ordered it - most free or under $1. After I opened it, and read the tutorial, I taught myself how to navigate by dipping into about half of my "library", occasionally getting caught up in stories beyond more than a taste. I've looked up the 23rd Psalm and had the voice option read it to me (options include man or woman's voice, faster, slower), read quotes by Mark Twain, fairy tales from six different countries, learned how to search for a story if the table of contents isn't interactive, ordered a free chapter of a book I want to read (from the Kindle). It doesn't require any connection to the computer at all, although you can download files from your computer or charge it on the computer like an iPod. I've looked up recipes in my several cookbooks by ingredient, learned pearls from ancient mystics (and "bookmarked" the best ones), adapted to writing styles of Whitman, Thoreau, P.G. Wodehouse (Jeeves), the Dalai Lama, "Uncle Remus", etc. I'd love to answer anyone's questions or better yet, hear from anyone else who has one.
    Count your blessings!

CCL

Re: Kindle

Sigh. Jealous. I wonder when this will be available in Canada; I know there were issues with getting the rights straightened out for the Canadian market as well as determining which company would be providing the internet connection. Kind of odd that I can buy a book about the Kindle, or a protective guide for the Kindle, on Amazon, but not the thing itself.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm sorry CCL - hopefully that will all be worked out, because the thing is just amazing. I was working out on the exercise bike at the Y this morning and I downloaded Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl and read it for half an hour. I'm trying to imagine the thrill going away, but can't yet. I downloaded a service that offers free books last night and it took me TWO HOURS to read through the list of books I could get... T.S. Elliot, Colette, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Little House on the Prairie, Jane Eyre, The Bobbsey Twins!!!! I had my Little Sister today and she was suitably excited. She loves to read as much as I do. Today I'm going to figure out how to put books in my archive at Amazon and get them back, so I don't have to wade through all the books I have so far when I'm looking for something to read. I also want to learn how to get access to the "bookmarks" and "clippings" I've made and where to find the clock, which I know someone on Amazon's discussion forum asked and had answered.
    I read an article on google, originally printed in The New Yorker where the author was bashing the Kindle. I feel sorry for someone so jaded. So every book in his snooty library isn't offered yet. So it isn't in color. So what? I will still read books, I'm sure, but this is just the coolest thing. On the bike this morning I was appreciating the fact that I could hold it and turn the pages with one hand. Ahhhhhh. I'm in love.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Try to get The Help! You won't be disappointed. It's really a book about women, with a few men thrown in because they exist.

Somebody has GOT to rent these things out so that people can try them out without having to worry about sending them back if they don't like them. That kind of thing is the easiest way to get stuck with one if you are a procrastinator like I am!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Well, actually they have people who will show you their Kindles as an option on Amazon. People volunteer to do it all over the place. If you're interested and can't find it let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. My son came home and I showed him and told him I was trying to figure out where the clock was. He said, "Let me see it" and had it figured out in under 10 seconds. Sheesh! These kids raised in the electronic age! I told him my list of things I want to try to figure out, and he said, "I can do that for you", but I want to figure it out myself so I understand it.
    Count your blessings!

Where is Rent-A-Center when you need them??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3661488;
    Try to get The Help! You won't be disappointed. It's really a book about women, with a few men thrown in because they exist.
    Thanks for that recommendation 'shay! Excellent book! I downloaded the sample on my Kindle and then decided to purchase it so I could keep reading (instant gratification - 1 click). I don't regret it at all. I already want to go back and re-read certain parts. I just realized I can go through the "What are you reading" thread and download samples (free!) of people's recommendations.
    Count your blessings!

I am so excited for you having fun with your Kindle! Your posts are inching me closer and closer! Your excitement is palpable!

I'm really looking forward to taking it to school for the 2 teacher days before students start. I have a feeling there will be some teachers who will flip over it! I love demonstrating it for people. Maybe I should sign up at Amazon to let people contact me if they want to see one in action. It is like whenever anyone invites me to a Pampered Chef party. I'm so gung ho on many of their items, I'm more enthusiastic than the salesperson.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Huh! Well, as a big fan of the paperback (I'm a read in bed, stuff it in my bag for the supermarket lines, etc., reader) I never thought I'd seriously consider a Kindle...but now..maybe....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 64 123456789101151 ... LastLast