+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Kindle

And another Kindle advantage over regular books: no one knows what you are reading! Could be serious heavy stuff,could be complete fluff--no more worrying about one's "image"! This just dawned on me the other day when I was reading something from the Outlander series in public, which I'm sure has some kind of brawny kiltclad bodice ripper cover in paperback.
    Although I will miss walking down a plane and seeing nearly every single person reading the same book, something that's happened a couple of times in the past.

I downloaded the PC ap and read on my laptop the book I was in the middle of on my Kindle. You have to have the wireless on on your Kindle for the place to synch up, but this could be dangerous!
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3849700;
    I downloaded the PC ap and read on my laptop the book I was in the middle of on my Kindle. You have to have the wireless on on your Kindle for the place to synch up, but this could be dangerous!
    Does the PC know what page you were on on the Kindle? And if you then swich back to the Kindle does it know how far you got on the PC?

I have to leave mine at home on work days or I'd never get anything done. If I could read it on the PC, where it would look like I"m working... yikes.

You have to have the wireless on on the Kindle for the computer to synch with it, but yes... then it does. I wonder if you can download the ap to more than one computer?
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3849930;
    You have to have the wireless on on the Kindle for the computer to synch with it, but yes... then it does. I wonder if you can download the ap to more than one computer?
    Does the wireless have to stay on the whole time? I try to minimize wireless use as it drains the battery much faster than just reading. And of course it's when I'm out and about reading in a coffee shop without my cord that the battery warning shows up!
    PS Thanks for the info, and once again for turning us all on to Kindle!

Good question... that I don't know the answer to. Trial and error.
    Count your blessings!

Bumping for Kiz - still loving my Kindle. I'm not as fanatical as I was in the beginning (thank God!) but love, love, love the ease of picking it up, cruising my list of unread books and samples, browsing the amazon site for new books, etc. I haven't had much time to read lately, but will have a lot of time this summer, so I don't feel "guilty" at all for having so many unread books queued up and waiting.
    Count your blessings!

Kiz

Thanks, Gutmutter!! As it turns out, my husband had his eye on an IPad, and we ordered it last weekend. Now, from what I've read, it has a Kindle Application, but I'll have to see how this IPad feels in my hands. But I'm ready to make a jump to an e-reader. This thread is very informative.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I would think that the weight of the IPad would be a deterrant, as opposed to the Kindle.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kiz

I haven't been to the Apple store to take a 'test drive' with the IPad, but I'm also thinking it won't be the size and, as you mentioned, weight that would be condusive to reading e-books.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

+ Reply to Thread