+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

CCL

Re: Kindle

Any people thinking of going for the new ipad over the kindle? If/when I eventually make the move to reading books on portable devices, I might go with the ipad because I'm already familiar with Apple's products. Anybody think one is better than the other?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

They're discussing this in Koffee Klatch, if you want to see what's already been said. I'm happy with my Kindle, but I'm not very high-tech in general, so it is in my comfort zone. Also the ipad seems to be quite a bit larger. I like to throw my Kindle in my purse and go.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3812012;
    They're discussing this in Koffee Klatch, if you want to see what's already been said. I'm happy with my Kindle, but I'm not very high-tech in general, so it is in my comfort zone. Also the ipad seems to be quite a bit larger. I like to throw my Kindle in my purse and go.
    Right, the portability factor I think gives Kindle the edge. I can even shove it in a large pocket in my coat, and I think it would fit in many purses--certainly the kind women carry when they aren't dressed up. It's not as small as a paperback book, but it's close, and much thinner.
    What I am missing from the usual paperback buying experience is the browsing aspect, the serendipitous finding of a new author, a new experience. It's great if you know what you want to buy, or for checking out the latest by an author you know, but even Amazon's suggestions of "If you like this you might like that" don't have the same feel of wandering in a book store, or even at the drugstore book rack. This last trip I went to the airport bookstore and browsed (and bought a couple of books for the time periods when the Kindle has to be turned off), and then ordered things that looked interesting from Amazon for Kindle. Even though I bought something I felt a bit bad---if we all use bookstores that way they'll go out of business.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've still got this thing about hardcover books.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3812483;
    What I am missing from the usual paperback buying experience is the browsing aspect, the serendipitous finding of a new author, a new experience. It's great if you know what you want to buy, or for checking out the latest by an author you know, but even Amazon's suggestions of "If you like this you might like that" don't have the same feel of wandering in a book store, or even at the drugstore book rack. This last trip I went to the airport bookstore and browsed (and bought a couple of books for the time periods when the Kindle has to be turned off), and then ordered things that looked interesting from Amazon for Kindle. Even though I bought something I felt a bit bad---if we all use bookstores that way they'll go out of business.
    Spend some more time in the Kindle book section of Amazon. I like it better than browsing a bookstore. They have Bestsellers, Editor's picks, Oprah's picks, and other lists on the left hand side. I like clicking on a book, reading the thumbnail review, checking the ratings it got, and if I'm still interested, reading the readers' reviews. You learn a lot more that way than reading the back page of a self-promoting paperback. Also look for the listmania lists. People post the books they liked the most and a lot of times they're the free books.
    Are you aware that if you have your wireless turned off, there is no need to turn off your Kindle on an airplane? It's like listening to an iPod. You should get into the habit of turning the wireless off unless you're downloading a book anyway. It saves a lot on battery usage.
    Do you ever click on the "discussions" link at the top of the screen when you're on a Kindle book page? I've learned a lot from reading what other Kindle users are discussing there.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3812991;
    Spend some more time in the Kindle book section of Amazon. I like it better than browsing a bookstore. They have Bestsellers, Editor's picks, Oprah's picks, and other lists on the left hand side. I like clicking on a book, reading the thumbnail review, checking the ratings it got, and if I'm still interested, reading the readers' reviews. You learn a lot more that way than reading the back page of a self-promoting paperback. Also look for the listmania lists. People post the books they liked the most and a lot of times they're the free books.
    Are you aware that if you have your wireless turned off, there is no need to turn off your Kindle on an airplane? It's like listening to an iPod. You should get into the habit of turning the wireless off unless you're downloading a book anyway. It saves a lot on battery usage.
    Do you ever click on the "discussions" link at the top of the screen when you're on a Kindle book page? I've learned a lot from reading what other Kindle users are discussing there.
    Thanks, Gutmutter! I haven't done any of that yet....good ideas!...and I thought we had to turn the Kindle's completely off at take off and landing, and keep the wireless off the whole time. I tried to ask flight attendants but they are always rushing... and they don't seem that familiar with Kindle yet. They always just say turn off all electronic devices, and then later that we can turn stuff on but not cellphones, etc.

Every other time I"m using it in public someone asks me about it---I enjoy spreading the word! Today though a waitress asked me if it was a computer...maybe she thought it was the iPad which is somewhat the same size someone said?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Some more thoughts on the Kindle experience vs. reading a paperback... You know I'm a Kindle fan, but even reading on Kindle is not quite the same. I took a book with me on a long trainride to the city this week (was worried about whether I'd want to check my "travel bag" of newspapers, books, soda, etc. at the restaurant and didn't trust that the Kindle would be safe), and it really is not quite the same.
    For one thing, my soda burst in the plastic bag, soaking all my reading material, which, thank the stars, did NOT include my Kindle. I was still able to read the soggy book but the papers are still drying out.
    But, more intangibly, there's just something different about reading a book. It's kind of like the difference between diet ice cream and real ice cream.... The food scientists refer to it as some kind of mouth feel that "fat" has, that the substitute doesn't... There's something like that that a real book has and the Kindle doesn't. They've worked really hard to give the Kindle all the traits of a "real" book, and many great ones a book doesn't have, but it's still not the same thing. That's not to say that I'm not using the Kindle--I am--just started a new book--it's incredibly convenient when you finish one book just to be able to order up another one without having to go to a store or wait for Amazon to ship to you, but I think I won't entirely be giving up the real book experience for a while yet.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It tickled me when the woman in the doctor's office waiting room said that she still found herself reaching up to "turn the page" on her Kindle. I can definitely see that happening!

It's right up there with reaching for your glasses when you first get contact lenses! It's just one of those things.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I still do that sometimes.
    Count your blessings!

I have a Sony Reader and I still do that! On the other hand, I have been reading a book, and reached over and clicked the mouse

+ Reply to Thread