+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

I get the free Amazon blog, but there's not much useful in it. I've heard that the newspapers and mags don't have a lot that's in the dead tree versions, specifically pictures, graphs, and anything syndicated.
    Count your blessings!

Amazon just released a Kindle program for PCs. You can get it here: Kindle for PC

I'm in the process of bringing my laptop back from the dead and I can see this being a cool thing to have. At the very least, having access to the reference materials that are available for free would be great.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mine just arrived! I love it already!!! Okay, to be fair, I haven't done anything other than take it out of the box and gaze adoringly at it. I have meetings all afternoon and don't want to start to play yet. I'm SO HAPPY my husband is out of town tonight, I cannot wait.
    Wag more, bark less

I didn't see this on the 15th - so how are you liking it? I'll reiterate that if you go to amazon's kindle book section you can change the default in the top right corner from "best selling" to "cost-lowest to highest" to find the free books easier. The clock is at the top of the menu page. I can't wait to hear how much you love it.
    I was at a discussion group yesterday and a woman raved about a book, so I quietly got my Kindle out and ordered it and then showed them that I had it downloaded about a minute after she had mentioned the book. They were impressed. I love how I can reread parts of books I loved the first time any time I want without the commitment to read the whole thing or by just going to my bookmarks of pages I especially liked.
    Count your blessings!

I am horrified by how long it has taken me to find the time to give it the attention it deserves! Before it arrived, I stocked up on 10 of my favorite free classics plus three current books I have been anxiously waiting to read that I told myself would be my first Kindle books. I have a 'real' book I'm trying to finish because I know once I start on the Kindle, that is going to be it! I had hoped to have it done before the Kindle came, but I still have a ways to go, grumble grumble. I wish I could change my personality and be able to bookhop, but I can't. I did entice myself by adding the 'second' book to the Kindle in hopes that it prods me to finish faster. (I'm currently reading "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and loving it and have heard "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters" is even better, it awaits me on the Kindle)

I have played with it enough to swoon and rave about it to anyone and everyone who asks (prior introduction or knowledge of them not required!) but I haven't sat down with it and gotten lost yet. I did read "The Velveteen Rabbit" on it since it is nice and short and it was fantastic.

Many thanks again to this thread in general and Gutmutter in particular for nudging me and providing helpful insight into it. I admit I have only scratched the surface and it is good to know there is a support group/Kindle Lovers Anonymous group I can come to for questions and random gushiness!

Random tangent: in reading a discussion board on the Amazon website while I was trying to find a good travel light for it, I came across a thread asking about lights for it while at home. Someone piped up with "I would have to assume the lights you have been using to illuminate your normal books are still around and would be an adequate way to illuminate your Kindle" or something along those lines. Completely cracked me up as I read it in the middle of my own Kindlemania and was wondering if the original question started in the midst of "WOW, I just can't think straight!!!" or was a real one.
    Wag more, bark less

Ah, yes - I remember the initial gushiness. My mailman got the full demo. Now I have it down to under a minute.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I got one for Christmas! Yay! And it had the last Twilight book already loaded on it (which I was waiting to buy until it came out in paperback) to tempt me in. I'm now 2/3 of the way through the book, and loving the Kindle. I've got it in its little cover thing that folds back like the cover of a paperback. Incredibly light and easy to use... have read while eating and drinking, can put it down and start right up again...really good. I hear you can even have it "backlit" for reading in a darkened room (or airplane... I was once on a trans Atlantic flight with a non-functioning overhead seat light...when they turned out the cabin lights so people could sleep I was in the dark... spent 3 hours hanging out into the aisle trying to get enough ambient light from other "readers" to be able to read) and that there are other features as well, but have not even read the directions yet. My son had it all charged up and ready to go for me, and it's so easy to use that's all it took.
    Another convert! Of course I also just picked up a couple of paperbacks at the drugstore....not totally off paper yet!
    And many thanks to Gutmutter et al. who encouraged us newbies!

Unless it's a new feature, there is not a back light. You can buy a little book light for it, though. I don't know if the ones they sell at Amazon are any different from the ones you get anywhere else.
    I'm so happy for you! Enjoy!
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

While watching football games Sunday, heard that they asked Tony Romo what his best Christmas gift was, and the said it was the Kindle. Apparently, he is a voracious reader. Who'd-a-thought?? Maybe he and Jessica wouldn't have worked out so well, after all?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3778542;
    Unless it's a new feature, there is not a back light. You can buy a little book light for it, though. I don't know if the ones they sell at Amazon are any different from the ones you get anywhere else.
    I'm so happy for you! Enjoy!
    Yeah, finally read the directions, no backlit option... too bad! Be great for reading in bed w/o disturbing your partner... well, maybe the next version.

+ Reply to Thread