+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Kindle

AlwaysVeg--that's exactly the reason I got a Kindle--or rather was given one by those who were about to buried by my paper books! I was a reluctant adopter at first, but once it was up and running and I was reading the first couple of books that I chose (my gifters had also put on some books they thought I'd like...nice but no cigar), I was converted. Aside from the storage issue, it weighs less (and a LOT less than a hardcover) and is easier on the hands in that it doesn't have to be "held" open, the print size is adjustable, the books are cheaper, you can often get a "library book" without making a trip to the library, depending on the cover you get it will usually easily fit into a bag or purse, etc., etc. I also like the people I give books to to have one, as it makes it easy for me to give an instant last minute gift---or you can set it up to be delivered on a specific day---so if you see a book that would be perfect for your dad, but his birthday isn't for months, you don't have to buy it and store it until then, or keep reminding yourself to get it when it is closer.
    But the main thing is the storage issue---and like waywyrd, I think I'm even more of a reader than before I had one--ease of shopping definitely affects that! Enjoy!

Harper Collins does a daily email called Bookperk that has great deals on e-books. The prices are usually under $3 and sometimes, the books are even free.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Is anyone here a member of Amazon Prime and know about the lending library feature for Kindle books? I'm trying to figure out if a book is eligible for borrowing, but I'm not sure if I have to be an Amazon Prime member to see that. Can you only see that info when you access the Kindle store via your Kindle?

This is the book:
    Amazon.com: Don Quixote eBook: Miguel de Cervantes, Edith Grossman: Kindle Store

I'm deciding whether or not I should bite the bullet and join, but I wanted to see if lots of books are available to borrow. Might save me money buying books for my book club. Since the price for Prime goes up pretty soon, I need to make a decision.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

That book isn't in the Kindle lending library. Books that are will have this little blurb under the price:

Amazon.com: The Rented Mule eBook: Bobby Cole: Kindle Store

I have Prime and definitely make sure to borrow my one a month for free. Not everything I want to read is on the list, but I can usually find something good. When I come across one that's interesting and shows that it's in the lending library, I stick it in my wish list for borrowing later.

Also, I'm not happy that they're raising the damn rates, either. Grr.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Well, shoot. I thought that might be the case. Thanks for checking for me. I hate the idea of paying for e-books, but I can definitely see borrowing them.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and actually buy it and get Prime anyway. At least I can get the paper version quickly with free 2-day shipping. None of my local stores has that translation, which is the one I want to read.
    PGM35 likes this.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Yeah, Prime is raising their rate to $99 - a $20 increase. I have until Sept to decide whether I want to renew.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Okay, I bit the bullet and signed up for a free trial. I confirmed that if I decide to let it renew, it'll be $79, not $99. I'm still undecided about whether or not I'll keep it.

I also - because I really needed to spend the money - bit the bullet and got a new Kindle. There was a deal where I could get 20% off and split the remainder into 4 payments. Plus, I had a rather large gift certificate, so I'm getting it for pretty low monthly payments. My old Kindle is fine, but I really wanted one that lights up. Half the time, I fall asleep with the light on. Sometimes I like reading in the dark and it's too much strain on my eyes to read on my phone.

I thought about trading in my old Kindle, but I think I'll keep it. It's not worth much anyway - I think it was $16.50. Maybe I'll give it to my mom....

Kiz

Did you all get a settlement credit for ebooks you purchased? I don't know how I missed the email, but I got a credit of $12.66 on my Amazon account.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201046060
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I got mine! And I realized that my favorite book EVER - "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier is FINALLY available for Kindle. So guess where I spent part of my credit!
    Kiz likes this.

I've only spent $.99 on Kindle books, so I doubt I'll be getting any money

+ Reply to Thread