+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I read on my homepage today that Nook is in danger of going out of business this year. I wonder what happens to the books you own/ability to get new books if that happens?
    Yikes! And our library just bought a whole bunch to lend out. B&N promised great support, replacing damaged ones etc....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

If the Nook is like the Kindle, as long as you don't have the wireless turned on, nothing goes out and nothing comes in. In other words - if worse came to worst, you could keep your wireless off and the books on your Nook would always be there.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Probably lose them. But that's why when I was looking for a table, I went with Kindle. I have the Game of Thrones series that I bought when I first got my black and white nook several years ago that I really don't want to lose, which is one of the issues I've always had with digital books and cloud storage. Seems like if I buy something, it should be mine forever, and I should be able to do what I want with it (except, of course, making copies of it). That's one of the reasons I've been reluctant to buy more books, if they cost any more than $1.00.
    That's one of the reasons I'll probably never buy ebooks. I know that when I buy a print book, I don't OWN the actual book. I own a copy of the book. Still, I have a tangible thing that no one can just come to my house and take back. With ebooks, I only own the rights to read the book and, theoretically at least, it can be taken away at any time.

I have several dozen books on my Kindle app on my phone, but I didn't pay for any of them; they were all either free from Amazon or e-galleys from publishers. A friend of the family just lost her husband and they had multiple Kindles. I may see how much she wants for one of them. I like having books on my phone so that I have something to do if I stand in a line somewhere, but it's too much of a strain on my eyes to read on that screen all the time. I have so many galleys on my phone now and would really like to read them on a bigger screen!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You can get the Kindle ap on your computer.
    Count your blessings!

I know and I have the Kindle app on my laptop, but I hate it. I'm just not going to read a book that way. I'd rather find an inexpensive used Kindle.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I just checked and you can get used 2nd generation Kindles (mine, which I love) for as little as $30 on Amazon. But if your friend has one to give you or sell you, make sure she (or you) takes if off of their account.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    That's one of the reasons I'll probably never buy ebooks. I know that when I buy a print book, I don't OWN the actual book. I own a copy of the book. Still, I have a tangible thing that no one can just come to my house and take back. With ebooks, I only own the rights to read the book and, theoretically at least, it can be taken away at any time.

I have several dozen books on my Kindle app on my phone, but I didn't pay for any of them; they were all either free from Amazon or e-galleys from publishers. A friend of the family just lost her husband and they had multiple Kindles. I may see how much she wants for one of them. I like having books on my phone so that I have something to do if I stand in a line somewhere, but it's too much of a strain on my eyes to read on that screen all the time. I have so many galleys on my phone now and would really like to read them on a bigger screen!
    I don't buy books either, except I bought the Game of Thrones so I could port them around easily. I have the actual books as well, but several of them are hardcover and you can't just throw it in your purse and go. I have a lot of books on the Nook (and some on the Kindle), but none I've paid any more than $1 for - and most of them the free ones. I can't read on my phone, the screen is too small, but the small b&w Nook was just perfect. I got the Kindle because I was looking to get a tablet, mostly to see what they're like, but even it is a little too big to port around easily.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

actually if you have the tangible book someone can come to your house at any time and take it away! If it's in the cloud even if your kindle is stolen the "book" isn't lost.

However, I agree, if nook is about to go out of business you might want to get all your books down out of the cloud and back on the nook itself. If kindle is smart they will make that nook app easy to use and publicize it...and get the nook people to come over to them. Of course that could finish nook for real if this is just a rumor.

Also have to at the idea of stuffing any Book of Thrones book into a purse---I took the whole series with me on a two week trip to China---that series alone is a reason to own a Kindle! It's about half a bookshelf alone, plus serious carpal tunel strain reading in bed!

I'm now the proud owner of not one, but two Kindles! My friend gave me one, which belonged to her late husband, but that we couldn't get to work properly. Then she decided she'd give me hers. She never used it and only had it because her husband wanted her to have one too. We got that one working and then the other one as well (we discovered she didn't have the correct charger) and she decided to give them both to me.....or rather, we bartered. This is where being a jewelry designer comes in handy! I traded her a necklace and custom earrings for the Kindles. So, now I have a 2nd generation and a Kindle Keyboard. I loaded all of my stuff onto the Keyboard and am good to go. My mom is testing out the 2nd gen to see if she doesn't hate reading on it. There are e-galleys that I've gotten that she would love to read, so that may compel her to keep it. Plus, it would be handy when my folks travel.

I still won't probably ever BUY an e-book, but I like having a larger screen to read the galleys on. Reading on my iPhone for long periods has caused me eye strain.

ETA: PWS - I actually had a purse that I carried for months without changing because I could fit a huge paperback in it and I was reading the GRRM series!
    PWS likes this.

Just for kicks, I went back and read all 57 pages from the beginning. It was so fun to watch the momentum gather for e-books. I have 4 Kindles on my account - mine, both daughters, and my mom. My son is linked to my account through and app on his iPad. At this point we all have access to over 350 shared books. The only books on my limited bookshelves are cookbooks and a few old favorites that aren't available on Kindle. I just spent time with my mom over the 4th of July archiving books she's read and downloading books from the archives. She does NOT have wireless at home so we went to a café with free wifi and I showed her how to download them and wrote down the process in a little notebook. I don't think she'll ever do it herself, but she LOVES the Kindle, which she didn't think she would. I have a dozen or more lined up for her and will repeat the process every time I see her.
    Now for a question... All of my kids have put apps on different devices for my Kindle and several of the devices are no longer in use. When I've tried to delete them from my Kindle account at Amazon it seems to tell me that the actual KINDLE will be deleted from the account. Can you delete an app from a broken/stolen device without deleting the Kindle?
    I'm still curious about what Nook owners are being told. Is the Nook still active? Can you transfer books to another brand (like a Kindle?). Are they guaranteeing access to books?
    PWS likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread