+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 64647484950515253545556575859606162 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Kindle

My brother, who when he retired lived in a very out of the way rural area with minimal newspaper service, took the NY Times and some other major papers via his Kindle and loved it. That was about all he used it for--one of my sons inherited it, and he said there were only about 3 books on it, but he used it for newspapers and magazines all the time. My son then registered it to his account (the books are still on the Kindle, but when it dies they are gone I think--you don't seem to be able to "will" them) and is now a total convert because he can read on the Kindle at home, but on his phone on the subway, etc. without ever losing his place.

Thanks for the info PWS. IF, I were to buy a Kindle, I'd use it mostly for newspapers & magazines. I'm still to attached to actual books, I reckon I'm a fuddy duddy.

I gave my yard sale Kindle to my mom for Mother's Day, with a spiffy new cover and linked to my account. She never thought she'd want one because she's 80 and technology impaired, but I gave it to her early in the weekend and showed her the basic functions - how to turn it on, get a book from the home page, turn the pages, etc. She LOVES it. She is a voracious reader and heavy books are getting to be too tiring for her to hold. It seems like she's always finishing a book when she's visiting one of us and asking for any we're done with. She travels a lot and has a lot of down time at home, so this is perfect for her. When I go home on the 4th of July, I'll archive the books she's read and put more on. I'm not sure she'll be able to figure out how to get things out of archives. She isn't sure if she has wifi at home
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I gave my yard sale Kindle to my mom for Mother's Day, with a spiffy new cover and linked to my account. She never thought she'd want one because she's 80 and technology impaired, but I gave it to her early in the weekend and showed her the basic functions - how to turn it on, get a book from the home page, turn the pages, etc. She LOVES it. She is a voracious reader and heavy books are getting to be too tiring for her to hold. It seems like she's always finishing a book when she's visiting one of us and asking for any we're done with. She travels a lot and has a lot of down time at home, so this is perfect for her. When I go home on the 4th of July, I'll archive the books she's read and put more on. I'm not sure she'll be able to figure out how to get things out of archives. She isn't sure if she has wifi at home
    That's fantastic! We gave my MIL a nook for Christmas 2011. She loves it but is also technologically impaired. They don't even have internet at their house much less wifi. I sometimes get on her account and put (free) books on I think she'd like. Occasionally she had me buy her books. She's afraid to mess it up so it wasn't until October when I could be with her and wifi that I was able to show her how easy they make it to buy books. Then, of course, she said it was easy :-/ I still put free books on there for her and when she has access to wifi she goes crazy finding more books. We bought it for her because we can adjust the font and her eyes are unfortunately so bad she has it on the largest setting. She thought before that she only liked 'real' books. It didn't take very long to understand the advantages to loving it.

She's very slowly learning how it functions. I've never even owned a simple touch nook, so when she asks me how something works I have to guess sometimes at the answer. I can't seem to get her to understand my nook tablet doesn't at all work the same. She told me the other day how something worked so I could use that information with mine Of course, that information isn't applicable to me at all.

That's funny.
    Mom forgot the charge cord so I'm sending it. When I have time, I'll write in a notebook some of the (slightly) more complicated things like interactive table of contents on the Bible. She loved the fact that you can get the definition of a word, but I'm not sure she'll remember how to do that, so I'll remind her in writing. I did show her that there was a user guide she could read on it if she wanted to try something new or look up something she forgot. At any rate, she can read over a dozen books before she'll have to worry about putting on more. I can always talk her through things on the phone if she wants to get more from the archives before then.
    Count your blessings!

Woo hoo! One of my all time favorite books is free for May!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I just gave my 85 year old father a Kindle HD Fire (7") and he was very excited. I don't know how much reading he will do, but he loves to play the games. I figure it gives him something to do and should help to keep his mind active.

I also just bought one for myself and still learning my way around it. Hence coming onto this thread to see if there were any tips or tricks. I'd love to be able to bring a couple of my Nook Books over to the Kindle and I see there is a way by sideloading the Nook app. Has anyone tried it? Does it work? I only have about 5 or 6 books that I actually paid more than 99 cents for, but I really would like to keep them.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I read on my homepage today that Nook is in danger of going out of business this year. I wonder what happens to the books you own/ability to get new books if that happens?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I just gave my 85 year old father a Kindle HD Fire (7") and he was very excited. I don't know how much reading he will do, but he loves to play the games. I figure it gives him something to do and should help to keep his mind active.

I also just bought one for myself and still learning my way around it. Hence coming onto this thread to see if there were any tips or tricks. I'd love to be able to bring a couple of my Nook Books over to the Kindle and I see there is a way by sideloading the Nook app. Has anyone tried it? Does it work? I only have about 5 or 6 books that I actually paid more than 99 cents for, but I really would like to keep them.
    I'll bet there's someone who's figured out how to do that. I'd hit up Google for directions. I'd be surprised if you don't find anything.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I read on my homepage today that Nook is in danger of going out of business this year. I wonder what happens to the books you own/ability to get new books if that happens?
    Probably lose them. But that's why when I was looking for a table, I went with Kindle. I have the Game of Thrones series that I bought when I first got my black and white nook several years ago that I really don't want to lose, which is one of the issues I've always had with digital books and cloud storage. Seems like if I buy something, it should be mine forever, and I should be able to do what I want with it (except, of course, making copies of it). That's one of the reasons I've been reluctant to buy more books, if they cost any more than $1.00.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread