+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    libgirl2, I recently got a replacement kindle and had a problem of my books showing "in the cloud" on amazon through my computer but not on my kindle device. I went online to get kindle support to call me, and their representative walked me through a reboot that caused everything to show up on the new kindle. If all else fails, try their customer support staff -- I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with them.
    I dealt with them when we first got the Kindle and they are good. I had returned the books already. I'm going to try the one this weekend and see as perused their help page and got some ideas. And as you say, I can always have them call me for support.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Finally heard back from my lawyer kid who works on Kindle contracts about that email some of us got about money coming to us. According to him it arose from publishers worrying that Amazon was becoming too dominant as a bookseller and wanting to charge them more per book (at a rate for smaller orders or something) to compensate. Anyway, lawsuit settled, and if you got charged at a higher rate than you should have been due to this, Amazon will be sending you $$, or crediting your account, or something. You don't have to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Finally heard back from my lawyer kid who works on Kindle contracts about that email some of us got about money coming to us. According to him it arose from publishers worrying that Amazon was becoming too dominant as a bookseller and wanting to charge them more per book (at a rate for smaller orders or something) to compensate. Anyway, lawsuit settled, and if you got charged at a higher rate than you should have been due to this, Amazon will be sending you $$, or crediting your account, or something. You don't have to do anything.
    Pretty much what I thought. I'll see what happens.

My husband and I figured out our Kindle download issue! WE saved the book to our desktop, renamed it and then saved it to the device. Worked fine.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I ran into something interesting yesterday for Nooks & Kindles. I'm probably the only person who didn't know this.
    I have the First Generation Nook. The one with 3G that doesn't need Wi-Fi. Anyhow I was trying to download a book yesterday, & it just wouldn't do it. I finally got the message that I needed Wi-Fi because of the size of the download. I don't have Wi-Fi access anywhere, but me being me I refused to be defeated.
    On an off chance I drove over to the local Starbucks just a few blocks from my house. I knew they have internet access & hoped it was Wi-Fi. I went in & asked them if it would be OK if I just used their Wi-Fi to download a book.
    They were very nice & said "Sure, that's what it's there for." So I sat down on a very comfortable chair & downloaded, even though I wasn't buying coffee.
    Nice, huh?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think I've spotted a new bug in the Kindle process--one they really ought to fix, as it will arise again and again as the number of Kindle uses grows. Unless I'm doing something wrong--in which case maybe someone can help me.

As forgetful Kindle users know, if you try to buy a Kindle book you already own it will tell you, You already bought this. As you all also know, other people can buy you Kindle books as long as they know your email address connected with your Kindle. I had assumed that if you tried to buy someone a book they already owned it would tell you they were duplicating...or at the least they would tell you that you had a $9.99 credit at the Kindle store (if they felt it violated your privacy to tell your gifter what books you'd already bought yourself--I can see that would be an issue). My son, who was a computer science major and who is now a lawyer involved in doing contracts between Amazon and publishers for Kindle, so knows a lot about Kindle/computers, etc., decided to test this by having him try to give me a book I'd bought a couple of weeks ago. It let him buy it with no problem. And I got a notice that I had a present from him and what it was, but when I went to "pick it up" the place you click to pick it up said it had already been picked up---and that I had bought that book a couple of weeks ago.
    Now it is possible that the book had "been picked up" because he cancelled the order later....otherwise though it seems as if Amazon is selling me the book twice. Has anyone else been given a book they already owned on Kindle? What happened? I don't want to write to Amazon complaining if they would have given me a credit if he hadn't cancelled the order--but if they really did sell me the book twice as it were I think they should fix that.
    Thanks! And happy holidays to all!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Answering my own question....my son sent me a Reacher novel I already had on Kindle and they offered me the option of credit on it. On the other hand, my son sent me a Kindle version of a hard cover I'd bought for him, and they are confused about what to do...

I think I might choose to send an Amazon gift card to avoid that issue and maybe include a book suggestion.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Or use the Amazon wishlist feature. Anyone with your e-mail address can see what you've put on your wishlist. I put "Amazon gift card" on my wishlist and Santa brought me $300. Goodness! My Kindle will be SO HEAVY!!!!
    Florimel and libgirl2 like this.

The Beautiful Creatures series is on sale today for $2.99 each, so I bought all four entries.

I also discovered a short story, Genie, that I hadn't realized I bought last November and am starting it today. It looks to be a science thriller about micro-life found in fumaroles.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I really love the feature that says, you already bought this, you dope (more politely). Just went to buy a sappy romance currently appearing as a movie (yes, Safe Haven), and it told me I already owned it Sure enough, there it was in the cloud, where I store the stuff I've already read. I brought it down from the cloud....not looking that familiar yet!
    I just bought the first 4 books of Wool (science fiction series I read about) as a set and going to get Beautiful Creatures as well...just love how I don't have to find any bookshelf space for these!
    The only downside I find is that when my kids were young (and when I was) they'd wander the parental bookshelves and discover books they loved that we loved by chance. My grandkids won't be doing that, at least not anything newer than a couple of years ago. Kind of how I feel about having a print encyclopedia in the house, vs. the online version. Serendipity is a great thing.

+ Reply to Thread