+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Kindle

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Kindle

Just read a review of the ongoing Nook/Kindle battles, this time over lighting and backlighting. They gave the slight edge to the Kindle version of backlighting as it it had fewer hotspots, but it is nice to know that when my old Kindle (with the little light I can pull out of the cover) begins to go there will be an even better version out there. I don't want to switch to Nook as Amazon knows all the books I've bought and won't let me buy them again.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    They may already be sorted out on the higher end kindles. I have the cheaper one because all I use it for is reading. Don't need fancy schmancy doo dads on there for me.
    Mine is a basic Kindle touch, just what I need.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I'm in the process of ordering the new Kindle Paperwhite. I had to do a lot of negotiating with Amazon because I had bought a Kindle Tocuh 1 month and two days before Kindle announced that Paperwhite was coming. I explained that to them and said I wanted to exchange it for the new one. They did not want to do it because it was 2 days past the 30 day return policy, but I stayed on the phone with them arguing that I would have waited a month to buy the Kindle in the first place had I known they were releasing the backlit version. Eventually, they agreed to an 80% refund, but I stayed with it until I got the full refund on my Touch. New Yorkers of my generation know how to negotiate with customer service and I really did feel I was in the right.

Hope I'll be pleased with the Paperwhite. Ideally, I'd like to have both a Nook and a Kindle since each seems to have their advantages, but that'll have to wait for a while.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You are a woman after my own heart!!! Bartering and bargaining are the way to go!! As long as you keep your wits about you, you will usually be successful.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Anyone here see any benefit to amazon prime? I dont' have it. I spend most of my time on the free list and occasionally the cheap list. I don't buy enough general stuff from amazon to justify the shipping benefits. I like to keep my books because mom's kindle is on my account and she'll peruse our books that I own. So borrowing with prime isn't very attractive to me.

I'm wondering if those who have it see any real benefit from it? One of my friends as aghast that I didn't have it and I'm wondering how common it is for people to have it.

I've had Amazon Prime for several years and have found worth the price. I've bought a quite a lot of things through Amazon and the free shipping alone has made it worthwhile for me, especially since shipping and handling are always overpriced because they are not subject to the sellers' income tax on sales. A lot of online or tv sales firms lower their prices for the items and make it up in shipping charges. That's why you will often see a second item listed as free of charge EXCEPT for separate shipping and handling.

Another value for it has been for the free Amazon prime streaming videos. While the newest films and tv shows are usually not among the freebies, there are a lot of things I either haven't watched for want to watch again for no charge. So, I guess its worth is an individual thing.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I'm in the process of ordering the new Kindle Paperwhite. I had to do a lot of negotiating with Amazon because I had bought a Kindle Tocuh 1 month and two days before Kindle announced that Paperwhite was coming. I explained that to them and said I wanted to exchange it for the new one. They did not want to do it because it was 2 days past the 30 day return policy, but I stayed on the phone with them arguing that I would have waited a month to buy the Kindle in the first place had I known they were releasing the backlit version. Eventually, they agreed to an 80% refund, but I stayed with it until I got the full refund on my Touch. New Yorkers of my generation know how to negotiate with customer service and I really did feel I was in the right.

Hope I'll be pleased with the Paperwhite. Ideally, I'd like to have both a Nook and a Kindle since each seems to have their advantages, but that'll have to wait for a while.
    Congrats on the bargaining! Do let us know what you think of the Paperwhite. I just read on my Kindle also, but anything that makes that easier is good!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Congrats on the bargaining! Do let us know what you think of the Paperwhite. I just read on my Kindle also, but anything that makes that easier is good!
    I certainly will, pws. Bad news is that a lot of them have been ordered and I don't expect delivery until the middle of November. I'm disappointed that they didn't anticipate the volume they needed. I do love to read in bed very late at night, so the lighting is a big plus for me. The reviews I've read say that it works a little better than Nook's version, so we'll see. What I can say is that they dropped the "text to voice" feature that I had in the Touch, but I never really used that anyway.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I wish I could rent one before I buy one. I like to test-drive.
    Florimel likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Anyone who use Amazon get an email about a class action suit stating once the suit is settled we would be getting a credit to our amazon accts?

Dear Kindle Customer,

We have good news. You are entitled to a credit for some of your past e-book purchases as a result of legal settlements between several major e-book publishers and the Attorneys General of most U.S. states and territories, including yours. You do not need to do anything to receive this credit. We will contact you when the credit is applied to your Amazon.com account if the Court approves the settlements in February 2013.

ents reached by the State Attorneys General with E-book publishers Hachette, HarperCollins, and Simon & Schuster. The Settlements resolve an antitrust lawsuit about the price of electronic books (“E-books”). Amazon.com has not been sued in this case. It is providing this notice as a service to its customers.

What the Settlements Provide

The Settlements create a $69 million fund for payments to consumers who purchased qualifying E-books from April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012. If the Court approves the Settlements, eligible consumers like you will receive automatic credits to your E-reader accounts. The credit can be used on any purchases of E-books or print books. The amount of your payment has been determined based on the qualifying E-book purchases identified by Amazon.com in your E-reader account.

How to Receive your Benefit

Because you are pre-qualified, you do not need to do anything to receive your credit. It will be applied to your account by Amazon.com automatically, and you will receive another email letting you know when it’s available. (If you bought E-books from more than one retailer, you may receive notices with different instructions about whether you will receive a credit or need to file a Claim Form for that retailer. You will have a separate claim for each retailer and you should follow the specific instructions from each one.)

You also have the option to receive a check instead of your credit. You can request a check by calling 1-866-621-4153, or going to the Settlement website listed below, and clicking on the Check Request Option link. Be sure to reference the Settlement ID number found at the bottom of this email. The Settlement website is: www.EBookAGSettlements.com

Your Other Rights

You can choose to exclude yourself from the Settlements and keep your right to sue on your own. If you exclude yourself, you can’t receive any benefits from the Settlements. If you don’t exclude yourself, you can submit objections about the Settlements.

Your written Exclusion Form or objections must be postmarked by December 12, 2012. Please visit the Settlement website for detailed information on how to submit a valid Exclusion Form or objection.

A separate lawsuit against two other publishers and Apple, Inc. continues and is set for a trial in 2013. Your rights in the separate suit are not affected by any action you take in regards to these Settlements.

The Court will hold a hearing on February 8, 2013, at 10:00 a.m. to consider whether to approve the Settlements. You or your own lawyer may ask to appear and speak at the
    Last edited by MsDiva2007; 10-13-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread