+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Kate, I've done that a few times. I'm, well, you can call it nosy but I prefer curious...and occasionally I'd read that one book that I just couldn't resist a peek at the ending. I never do that now with my Kindle.
    Me neither, the only problem is if I am not that interested in a book, I usually like to see the end to at least find out how it wraps up. I don't do that with my Kindle as its more work.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I remember I read the end of a book once because someone had loaned it to me and it really wasn't something I wanted to read, so I read the last little bit so I could say, "I couldn't believe..... happened in the end." As it turned out, I think the main character died or something and I wouldn't have liked the ending if I HAD read it, so was glad to have broken that little rule of mine.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I remember I read the end of a book once because someone had loaned it to me and it really wasn't something I wanted to read, so I read the last little bit so I could say, "I couldn't believe..... happened in the end." As it turned out, I think the main character died or something and I wouldn't have liked the ending if I HAD read it, so was glad to have broken that little rule of mine.
    See, that's exactly my problem....what if I read all the way to the end and then they do something horrible like kill off one of the main people?? I've had that happen waaaaay to often. It's just safer to peek....just a teeny one. Not so you know "who dunnit" or anything (well, sometimes ) but just to make sure they stay alive...or end up together...or....
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

As a new owner of a Kindle Touch, I have a couple of questions and thanks in advance to anyone who can answer. I've figured out almost all of it, but I think the User Guide is woefully inadequate.

1. About Collections. I have figured out how to create a collection and how to add books to one, but I don't yet know how to view a collection once it's been created. When I do a sort on from the menu, the Collections choice is greyed out. Also, is there any way to remove an empty Collection? I have one that I named incorrectly and I'd like to get rid of it.

2. I have noticed that my battery life is very short. I keep wireless off unless I really need it and when I do turn it on, it's probably for less than 5 or 10 minutes. I do read for quite a bit longer than 1/2 hour a day, but in less than a week, my battery charge is at least half gone. When I borrowed the Nook from the public library, the battery seemed to last way longer. Is this normal for a Kindle battery?

Once again, thanks for any advice.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I can't answer the Collections question (haven't figured that out myself ), but the battery life seems way off. I've had mine since late June and have only charged it twice. I read about 30 minutes a night, sometimes longer. It sounds like you have a crap battery, unfortunately.

Off to figure out Collections, since one big huge list of books is getting hard to keep track of...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Does Kindle Fire have good battery life?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think the fire has an ok battery life. I have friends who use it online a lot as well as for reading and they don't charge much. I have the cheap kindle and read maybe 1hr+ a little a day and charge about once a week or once every 2 weeks. Wireless is on.

I can't figure out collections either. I'm kind of an organizational freak when it comes to stuff like that and it bothers me that I can make a collection and name it and put books into it but that they don't disappear off the main list of books like if I put a document in a folder on my computer. It kind of defeats the purpose for me which was to make things easier to find and less cluttered. In the end it just adds clutter on the cheap kindle I have.

After much trial and error, I figured it out. Collections does become enabled after your first wireless connection, but you need to choose" All Items, not just Books or something else for your collections to appear in the list. Then they become viewable and can be edited, navigated, removed, or whatever you need to do. Hope this helps.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I just have the standard early version (2) Kindle, not the Touch or Fire. I was going to suggest the wifi needed to be on if it was grayed out. Sounds like you figured it out. Do you know if the earlier versions have the "collection" option? I occasionally have to go through my list and "open" books in reverse order of how I want them on my home menu just to organize things a little. My Kindle is 3 years old and still only needs to be charged once every couple of weeks if the wifi is not on. Do you play music or other non-book features? Those are heavier on battery use.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I just have the standard early version (2) Kindle, not the Touch or Fire. I was going to suggest the wifi needed to be on if it was grayed out. Sounds like you figured it out. Do you know if the earlier versions have the "collection" option? I occasionally have to go through my list and "open" books in reverse order of how I want them on my home menu just to organize things a little. My Kindle is 3 years old and still only needs to be charged once every couple of weeks if the wifi is not on. Do you play music or other non-book features? Those are heavier on battery use.
    WiFi does not have to be on to use collections. It has to be only once to enable that feature. After that, it works whether you're connected or not. I believe the earlier versions, at least some of them have the collections option. I saw something about using a five-way controller to navigate. Is that what your earlier Kindle has? I saw something about that on Manage Your Kindle/Help.

No, I don't play music or use audio books or such. I do generally read quite a bit more than 1/2 hour per day, but the battery just seems to slowly start losing its charge almost immediately. Maybe I'll just contact Amazon and ask about it.

+ Reply to Thread