+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I finally got my Kindle Touch last week and I'm so glad. Since I wanted to try before buy, a few months ago, I borrowed an e-reader from the public library. It was a Nook, and I like that, too. I borrowed one that came loaded because there was less of a wait list for that than for the empty ones. One of the best things was that from a pre-load I discovered an author that I adore and I can't believe that I'd never found him earlier. I read a lot of genres including the classics, but I do love both science fiction and mystery writer. Coben is a multi=award winning author (Edgar, Shamas, and Anthony). He has a series, the Myron Bolitar mysteries that I can't get enough of. So, I thank the e-reader for letting me find him.

I had a hard time choosing between Kindle and Nook. I think I'd like to have both, but the deciding factor was that I had enough Amazon certificates from doings surveys to get the Kindle for $34.00. I also love that so many of the classics are freebies.
    I love Harlan Coben. I found him through borrowing Play-aways from my library before I got my mp3 player. The Play-aways were not nearly as extensive as the regular audio books. I actually discovered a few authors that way. The Coben book I listened to was one of his stand-alones but when I put him on my authors to be read list I started with the Myron Bolitar books. Coben writes a great story and I appreciate his wit.

Right now I'm listening to Eleanor Brown's The Weird Sisters for my book club. I had a hard time getting into it because I kept getting distracted. I think it was just me. I'm enjoying it now. Since she references Shakespeare and I've never studied his works I feel like I'm getting a mini lesson in an interesting way! Brown writes it in a strange 1st/3rd person voice. At times it's each of the sister's narrating about the other's but throwing in we/us first person thoughts as well.

It's definitely not as deep as Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken or Lisa See's Snowflower and the Secret Fan that we read realier this year. I do like the portrayal of the three sisters. In my family we are three sisters and while we're not too much like the characters there are some things that have me nodding in recignition of their behavior.

ETA I just realized I'm in the Kindle thread and not the reading now thread. What a ditz! I'm on my nook so copying and pasting to another isn't happening to fix it.

Obviously I use my nook for so much more than just reading.
    Last edited by justCoz; 08-13-2012 at 09:49 PM.

I find myself downloading books I would never buy otherwise, like Andy Cohen's "Most Talkative," and "Mel Hath No Fury." $2.99! Better still, you don't need reading glasses because you can just make the type bigger!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

Thanks, justCoz, for pointing me towards The Weird Sisters. It sounds very good and it's definitely going on my list. I assume the title is a reference to the three witches in MacBeth, often called the weird sisters. I have read a good deal of Shakespeare, so I anticipate a really good read.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Thanks, justCoz, for pointing me towards The Weird Sisters. It sounds very good and it's definitely going on my list. I assume the title is a reference to the three witches in MacBeth, often called the weird sisters. I have read a good deal of Shakespeare, so I anticipate a really good read.
    That is the reference. Having no real knowledge I can't say for certain but I think you'll like it. There are just enough references to things I do understand but so much more I know would mean more contextually than I am catching. As it turns out I do remember vaguely learning some of MacBeth in high school so I'm not missing out completely.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Cough, cough...and now back to Kindle! But I admit I'll look that book up as well.

I just had a special offer through my amazon credit card to get selected Kindles and/or accessories for 40% off. I got the $79 Kindle for $47 because my daughter's Kindle died recently. She is furious that there is no repair option past the warranty and doesn't want it right now, but I couldn't resist for the price and am pretty sure she'll come around. She's a pilot and flies a lot on stand-by. So Pssssst! - new Kindle owners. The extended warranty is really worth it.
    Count your blessings!

So I finally broke down and got a Nook tablet. I actually use it far more than I thought I would. Even when I'm not reading, I keep it at my desk at work so I can listen to music. Radio reception is horrible otherwise, and we aren't allowed to listen though our computers - slows the system down. Anyway, the battery life is absolutely stellar! Honestly, one of my favorite things is being able to read in bed in the dark and just turn it off when I'm ready to sleep.....my light switch is too far away!! The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet.....I have a bad (?) habit of sneaking a peek at the last page of my book. Usually I make it through the first chapter or so, then feel compelled to read the very ending. Having a Nook makes it just tricky enough that I actually bother to read the book from beginning to end without jumping ahead and checking out the last page first. What a concept I just finished "Gone Girl" (loved it!) and I'm so glad I couldn't cheat and peek!!!

PS..yes I know, I can book mark and get right back to the page I was on, but somehow, not being able to just flip through the pages is enough of a deterrent. That's a perk that was completely unexpected
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Ha! You and my sister, Kate. It always drove me crazy that she did that. Every single book. I only ever did that once - the last book in the Harry Potter series - so nobody would spoil it for me.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I just had a special offer through my amazon credit card to get selected Kindles and/or accessories for 40% off. I got the $79 Kindle for $47 because my daughter's Kindle died recently. She is furious that there is no repair option past the warranty and doesn't want it right now, but I couldn't resist for the price and am pretty sure she'll come around. She's a pilot and flies a lot on stand-by. So Pssssst! - new Kindle owners. The extended warranty is really worth it.
    Yes, Ma'am! I'm definitely listening!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kate, I've done that a few times. I'm, well, you can call it nosy but I prefer curious...and occasionally I'd read that one book that I just couldn't resist a peek at the ending. I never do that now with my Kindle.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread