+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kindle

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Kindle

True....true.....very true...and as gadgety as I am, I can't believe that I seem to be stuck in neutral.

Maybe it's that my library is within a stone's throw of my house? I am big on reserving and picking up; I could even have them delivered, if I wanted to.

Even my Vietnamese nail tech, who speaks little clear and easy English, told me to "Keep hope alive!" when I said something about hoping that actual books come back.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    True....true.....very true...and as gadgety as I am, I can't believe that I seem to be stuck in neutral.

Maybe it's that my library is within a stone's throw of my house? I am big on reserving and picking up; I could even have them delivered, if I wanted to.

Even my Vietnamese nail tech, who speaks little clear and easy English, told me to "Keep hope alive!" when I said something about hoping that actual books come back.
    I love my library too. I get audio books. I also love my nook. I really love it on trips because I can takes tons of books with me without adding weight.

Also, rarely so far, there are a couple of books that were only offered in a digital edition and not in a physical book form. I could read those on a computer but the chair where my computer is isn't nearly as comfortable as my couch.

I just traveled to Chicago which involved one really long layover on the way home. I finished one book en route, started another one, finished it in Chicago, started another one for the long trip home... all on the Kindle. I just tore out a few hard Sudoku pages for take-off and landing when the Kindle needed to be shut down.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree, closeness of the library can be a variable--mine is a 15 minute car ride away. Not much, but a much harder barrier to overcome than a 15 second Amazon visit (only slight exaggeration, if you know what you want). But for travel? Can't beat it.

I'm building up libraries of my favorite authors. Right now, I need two more books to complete one author and they are on sale at amazon for less then $3 each! Can't beat that, unless its free. I have also gotten a couple of trilogies for $10 which is pretty cheap. And my husband was thrilled to get a 99 cent zombie short story that he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

I've got a library book on my bed right now! I've had one most of the summer. The price is definitely right!
    You can get library books on a Kindle, too. And I get offers of at least 25-40 FREE books every day. Most are new authors, but I've had some great free reads from them. And if you sign up for the Kindle daily deal e-mail, you get LOTS of $.99 offers (usually more well-known authors). I was a hold-out for a long time, but I had to go back to a regular book recently and I ended up only reading half of it because it wasn't as convenient as the Kindle.

Come on over to the dark side!!!!
    waywyrd likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have it priortized behind the smartphone that I am determined to get, so maybe I'll hit it by Christmas.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have it priortized behind the smartphone that I am determined to get, so maybe I'll hit it by Christmas.
    I really think once you Kindle, you won't go back...lmao! It's so damn convenient.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I'm on the best seller "free" list a couple times a day on my kindle. There's been a coupel series I really got into on there.
    AZChristian likes this.

I finally got my Kindle Touch last week and I'm so glad. Since I wanted to try before buy, a few months ago, I borrowed an e-reader from the public library. It was a Nook, and I like that, too. I borrowed one that came loaded because there was less of a wait list for that than for the empty ones. One of the best things was that from a pre-load I discovered an author that I adore and I can't believe that I'd never found him earlier. I read a lot of genres including the classics, but I do love both science fiction and mystery writer. Coben is a multi=award winning author (Edgar, Shamas, and Anthony). He has a series, the Myron Bolitar mysteries that I can't get enough of. So, I thank the e-reader for letting me find him.

I had a hard time choosing between Kindle and Nook. I think I'd like to have both, but the deciding factor was that I had enough Amazon certificates from doings surveys to get the Kindle for $34.00. I also love that so many of the classics are freebies.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread