+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

I read an article comparing the Fire to the new Nook tablet when they first came out and, from what I could tell, the Nook looked like the better choice. There seemed to be more functionality and more options as far as where you can buy books with the Nook. Is there a reason people go with the Fire/Kindle? Is it the Kindle brand?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

For me, since I already own several hundred books on my Kindle, switching to the Nook would be difficult. Among other things Amazon tells me if I start to buy a book I already own (on Kindle)! Embarrassingly that's happened several times now, as I tend to buy a lot of "series books" and often the name of the book isn't really all that descriptive. I mean A is for Alibi, V is for Vengeance...they can be about almost anything mystery related. I love that feature!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

A question for longer term Kindle users. I know you can have up to 5 different Kindles using one account. I have an older Kindle and a newer one (not the Fire generation), and they both share the same account, and can at least access everything I've put in storage on the cloud type thing. Not sure if my latest buys turn up on the old one...think not. But my Sig. Other has definitely been able to read some of the stuff I've bought with new Kindle on the old one.
    Anyway, my brother died a year and a half ago, and he also had a Kindle, which was still functional last time I checked this summer. I'd like to switch it from his account to my account so I can share more books with people---my kids and I have similar reading tastes. This would only be the 3rd Kindle on that account. Has anyone tried something like this? And if we do that what happens to the books my brother had bought... do they stay on his Kindle? Or his cloud account? and are accessible from that Kindle? Or by going to my account does all the stuff on his account get erased? Can I even add a Kindle to my account that used to be on another one? I realize I can call Amazon and ask all this (definitely not part of their routine info, Kindles being so new and all), but wondered if any FORT people had had experience with this.
    If not, I'll report back what I find out....sooner or later I won't be the only Kindle lover with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I read an article comparing the Fire to the new Nook tablet when they first came out and, from what I could tell, the Nook looked like the better choice. There seemed to be more functionality and more options as far as where you can buy books with the Nook. Is there a reason people go with the Fire/Kindle? Is it the Kindle brand?
    I just got a nook tablet. I love it. I considered getting the Kindle, it's $50 less after all. But a few things made me get the nook. First, I already have a nook, so all those books are on my account. Also, the memory on the nook tablet is double what the Kindle is, plus has a space for an sd card, which can add 32g more. Also, while I haven't done this I've read it's pretty easy to 'root' the nook color, and it appears it's also easy to 'root' the tablet as well. Since it's android based apparently if you do that you can open lots more functionality. (Of course, I'm pretty sure it voids any warranties.) I'm too chicken to do that (or just have too much bad luck!)

I have a friend that bought the fire, and we compared a few basic things. I believe she's happy with her purchase and I'm happy with mine

Upthread it was mentioned about the screen changing too easily. My nook isn't too sensitive, but it does happen. There is a lock feature though that I could use. I've thought about using it for reading a book when I absolutely want it going a certain way, especially if I'm trying to read propped up in bed. Does the Kindle have that feature too?

Also, I will say that while my tablet is great for accessing the internet and different apps I still prefer my older nook with the eInk for reading. It is much easier on my eyes, which is why I went with the other in the first place. I was going to give my old one away, but I think I'll keep it now as for just reading a book it's much better. For turning the page the tabs to click on the side of the old one are great when I'm holding it, unlike the tablet which I have to move my hand to tap it. It's a minor thing, but one I'm noticing when I've read with my tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    A question for longer term Kindle users. I know you can have up to 5 different Kindles using one account. I have an older Kindle and a newer one (not the Fire generation), and they both share the same account, and can at least access everything I've put in storage on the cloud type thing. Not sure if my latest buys turn up on the old one...think not. But my Sig. Other has definitely been able to read some of the stuff I've bought with new Kindle on the old one.
    Anyway, my brother died a year and a half ago, and he also had a Kindle, which was still functional last time I checked this summer. I'd like to switch it from his account to my account so I can share more books with people---my kids and I have similar reading tastes. This would only be the 3rd Kindle on that account. Has anyone tried something like this? And if we do that what happens to the books my brother had bought... do they stay on his Kindle? Or his cloud account? and are accessible from that Kindle? Or by going to my account does all the stuff on his account get erased? Can I even add a Kindle to my account that used to be on another one? I realize I can call Amazon and ask all this (definitely not part of their routine info, Kindles being so new and all), but wondered if any FORT people had had experience with this.
    If not, I'll report back what I find out....sooner or later I won't be the only Kindle lover with this issue.
    My understanding is that the kindle is linked to his account. You can get a used kindle but it has to be unlinked from the account and then relinked to yours basically. So you'd have access to all the materials that you have bought yourself on your account but the stuff on his account on amazon will be solely in his account.

When my mom got her kindle we went over various ideas of how to manage the two kindles since occasionally we read the same books and we like to share books. So basically I am the proud owner of 2 kindles on my account and I gave her access to my amazon to shop as she pleases. If she had linked it to her amazon account she couldn't access my books and I couldn't access hers on our kindles. If she started it on her account and then unlinked it my understanding is all her kindle information would be left behind on her account inaccessible until she bought another kindle for example and had it linked to her account.

I could be wrong but that was my understanding of it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thanks, causing chaos. Well, guess we should take a look at what my brother had on his Kindle before we switch it over....

PWS - I just bought the third Kindle on my account. The second one was for my older daughter last Christmas and the third one is for my younger daughter this Christmas. We all share the same books. For the second two, the books aren't automatically on the device - they're stored in your archives but are easily downloaded. I spent about half an hour yesterday going through my 227 books in archives to download ones I thought my daughter would like onto her new Kindle so when she opens it, there will be about 25 books to read right away.
    It is easy to switch accounts on a Kindle. Just go to "settings" and it will lead you through it. You will have access to all your books but not his... unless you keep the wireless off and access only the books already stored on his Kindle, in which case I wouldn't switch accounts. I'm sorry about your loss.
    If you want to maintain his account, you would have to know his amazon password and switch credit cards in the payment options.
    Count your blessings!

My husband thought he would use his Kindle Fire for the tablet features only. He's not a reader. Never has been. But he did download some books about Firefighting and has been reading those. I thought he might enjoy a few other books that came up on the free list at Amazon, so I downloaded them onto his Kindle. Funny books about marriage, kids, etc (The Desperate Dad's Guide to Getting Some is one of the titles...lol). To my surprise (and delight!) he's actually been reading them and has picked a few of his own. He downloaded The Art Of War (and is halfway through it already), Iliad, Common Sense and a couple of others. I guess he found a Top 10 books you should read in your lifetime list online and has decided to work his way through them. I'm so happy...we've been married almost 12 years and I've never seen him read anything other than text books and one book written by the wrestler Kurt Angle.
    coltnlasma likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Does anyone buy just the e-reader? I'm not sure I want to add another computer to my stock, but I can't help but wonder if I would just be wasting my money, wanting the rest of the bells and whistles later.

JJ, you may have unleashed a beast!!! I love it!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The plain old less than $100 Kindles are fine unless you are someone who needs all the bells and whistles... My kids have all that stuff on their phones as far as I can see. But everyone seems to use their Kindle for different things. For an example, see my last paragraph...

My son decided to keep his deceased uncle's Kindle (version 1) just for himself and not share my stash....which I take to mean he plans to download books he doesn't want his parents to know about--not surprising. So anyway, can't give any feedback on how easy it is to move someone else's Kindle onto your account if it wasn't bought for that account originally.

Did more Kindle selling the other day---at a diner I frequent a woman came up to me to ask about the print size feature---her husband is having major vision problems...both central and peripheral...and needs really big type to read, so I demonstrated. She seemed to think it would work. And another friend's husband who had a sort of stroke was left with at least temporary vision damage because his usuable eye only tracks partway across a screen---so he needs a really big or close TV screen and really big print. It's especially good for him as he can gradually decrease the type size in an effort to retrain the eye. He's already used a Kindle to read several editorials about the election--which I have to think can't be good for someone who should be watching his blood pressure!
    That print size feature can really turn out to have a lot of very useful aspects for people, above and beyond the ereader convenience.

+ Reply to Thread