+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: Kindle

Heya, Gutmutter, I have a question on how to download books from the Project Gutenberg - which download do I choose?

And how do you like the text to speech function? I like the concept, but I find the computer generated voice is sleep inducing...
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

I have a question, I just got an iphone today and was going through the applications and came across the kindle for iphone. has anyone with an iphone installed this kindle for their iphone and if so do you like it and recommend installing it?

Quote Originally Posted by iguanachocolate;3686870;
    Heya, Gutmutter, I have a question on how to download books from the Project Gutenberg - which download do I choose?

And how do you like the text to speech function? I like the concept, but I find the computer generated voice is sleep inducing...
    I haven't used the text to speech function much, but yes - it is computer generated, not natural. I haven't downloaded from Project Gutenberg directly. I copy down titles I want and get them from Amazon. If you download from anywhere else and then store it in your Amazon archives (or have to replace your Kindle) the books you buy from elsewhere will be there, but it doesn't save any bookmarks, highlights, or notes (or your place in the book). I do have directions for downloading from another free site if you want it. It's about a 9 or 10 step process.
    Pwettybird - If I understood correctly, you have to have a Kindle to use the iphone apps. It taps into your Kindle archives which you can't create without a Kindle. I could be wrong about that. If you go to amazon.com there is a kindle section with a tab at the top for discussions and you can ask there.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3687795;
    I haven't used the text to speech function much, but yes - it is computer generated, not natural. I haven't downloaded from Project Gutenberg directly. I copy down titles I want and get them from Amazon. If you download from anywhere else and then store it in your Amazon archives (or have to replace your Kindle) the books you buy from elsewhere will be there, but it doesn't save any bookmarks, highlights, or notes (or your place in the book). I do have directions for downloading from another free site if you want it. It's about a 9 or 10 step process.
    Pwettybird - If I understood correctly, you have to have a Kindle to use the iphone apps. It taps into your Kindle archives which you can't create without a Kindle. I could be wrong about that. If you go to amazon.com there is a kindle section with a tab at the top for discussions and you can ask there.
    Gut, I would love those instructions - and the addy of the free site. If you could pm them to me, please?
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

pwettybird - I was completely wrong before. Go here: Kindle for iPhone: Read Kindle books on your iPhone or iPod touch
    iguanachocolate - I PMed you the info.
    Count your blessings!

Thank you so much, Gut!

I have Stanza on my ipod touch and imagine that the kindle application is very similar. I will check it out, but apps are usually not as good as having the real thing. It takes them a long time to get the software bugs out of the apps...... and I am very happy with my Stanza, but will check out the Kindle anyway. I've seen from reviews that there are features for the Kindle version that are not working on the apps free iphone/touch. I would probably rather have the Kindle reader device to use, and still have it on my Christmas list. In the meantime, I am enjoying the Stanza ereader on my ipod touch. Downloads are fast and easy to read.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

I have to post here because I love, love LOVE my Kindle. I've had it for about a month and have read 4 books so far. I haven't been reading much in the past few years, just out of lazyness I guess, but my excitement of the Kindle got me back into reading.

I know some of this has been covered in prior posts, but my 2 cents as far as perks...
    I have a m-edge cover that folds back. I throw the Kindle in my purse and bring it to work, the salon, anywhere. I just went on a vacation and downloaded a few books before going. I was towards the very end of one book right before my trip and it was nice to have a few different book options to choose from when I was ready for the next one. You can preview books (which I haven't done yet, I just bought them) and when you do buy them you have them in seconds! Plus...no books to store or throw out...so environmentally friendly.

I'm currently reading The Help. Great book so far. And did I mention that I LOVE my Kindle?

Welcome greyhoundmom! I'm reading a book right now that uses a LOT of old-fashioned and obscure words. I'm using the cursor/dictionary once or twice a page! And I have a fairly humongous vocabulary to start with. Love that function.
    Count your blessings!

I am really on the fence, so can someone tell me...is it worth the difference in price to get the DX, or are you all satisfied with the Kindle 1 & 2?

Like I say, I'm on the fence & need to be convinced. Ya'll seem to be pretty happy though.

+ Reply to Thread