+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 64 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

Hey, he's the one who left it on the table for you to see, he can't fuss. Glad you're enjoying it!

With all the people raving about these Fires, I'm really tempted....
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

FoRTer

Hey, JavaJo, or anyone who's using their Fire... what's your impression of the internet access? I get that it's mainly for accessing Amazon content, but I'm wondering how or if it handles other web use (like for example a kids' game site). My daughter has been asking for a Kindle, and if the Fire can do a few other things and I can figure out how to make it child-safe then I will have pretty much talked myself into it. Plus, they seem so cool and I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    Hey, JavaJo, or anyone who's using their Fire... what's your impression of the internet access? I get that it's mainly for accessing Amazon content, but I'm wondering how or if it handles other web use (like for example a kids' game site). My daughter has been asking for a Kindle, and if the Fire can do a few other things and I can figure out how to make it child-safe then I will have pretty much talked myself into it. Plus, they seem so cool and I want one.
    I've been all over the web on my Fire. Facebook, Twitter, shopping at various sites, yahoo, people.com. I've accessed The Fort on it, too. It does have Flash capabilities which is something I don't think the iPad has. It's pretty fast, too.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

It's based on a wireless system and if you already have a router for your home, it is so easy to set up. I've been all over the web with mine, also. If you turn it sideways, YouTube videos play large. I haven't tried Hulu+ though I also downloaded it along with the Free Angry Birds. I check the app store from the Fire when I think about it to see what other free apps are available. One downside is with magazines. I thought to subscribe to Smithsonian, and while it is in color, the print is very small and when you pinch it larger it is difficult to move it around to read it.

Oh, a girlfriend bought some kid games for her two year old grandson for when she babysits and he won't give it back to her. So, "kid" games are available.

What I love is a feature from regular Kindle and that is the ability to choose your font size for reading ease. You can also change your background color for book reading from white to ecru or black if you wish. I chose ecru because I didn't get the glare protector and have no problem with it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FoRTer

Good to know. Thanks!
    And our public library's e-book site is compatible w/ Kindles now, too... so that's one more reason nudging me on to get one.

FORT Fogey

The Kindle Fire sounds amazing, and a lot cheaper than the iPad! But I'm wondering, one of the best things about the original Kindle, that makes it better than just say, the app for my macbook, is that it has the ink-like reading background. Is there a way to switch to that on the Kindle Fire or is that feature completely gone?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

A friend got given the Fire as a thank you present (wow! I never get more than a card!) for a house stay. Anyway, she was not a Kindle user first and she's had all the problems with it that you read about. She was asking me if I thought it would hurt the giver's feelings if she returned it, and would the credit show up on the giver's account if she didn't replace it with something else. Anyway, I tried to urge her to swap it out for a regular Kindle, cover with light, and a ton of books, but don't know if I succeeded. This is an older woman, but she does email and is generally pretty computer savvy, so it wasn't just a negative tech reaction. She had problems with the screen rotating when she didn't want it to, etc., all the complaints you hear about. And she has pretty tiny fingers!

Yeah, rotating happens if you tilt it only slightly in order to find a more comfortable position to read. Sometimes when you straighten it up, it doesn't rotate back right away. All moving stuff such as movies or videos will play on the wide screen (tilted view) only. But, if she is just using it for reading, I can see where that would be an annoyance. I hope you get her to consider the regular Kindle.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I was watching Clark Howard's show today, and he said that the Kindle Fire can't even compare to the IPad and the IPad2. He said that Amazon doesn't have enough apps to make it comparable and that unless Amazon opens up more available apps, that Kindle will never stack up. He said that if Amazon does upgrade the apps, that it will be a force to deal with.

Kind of makes me glad that I haven't made that e-reader step yet. The IPads sure do cost an arm and a leg, so I'm glad that I don't feel the need to wrestle with that decision. The only apples I get into are the ones you eat, I guess.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FoRTer

I decided to order a Fire, and have been playing on it for a few days now. We wanted a nice sized e-reader + something to surf the web & play kids gamesites w/ "flash" + something to rent movies, so it fits for our family. The game apps and music and TV are good extras, too, and I'm sure I'll discover more as time goes on. Now my only real complaint as a parent is the lack of content filters, but I'm hopeful that there may be something released later to help w/ that. I sort of justified the cost because the Fire could do several things we wanted, but I think if I were shopping for a nice e-reader I would be annoyed by the extra features -- and the glare.

+ Reply to Thread