+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 64 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

I got a lighted cover for my nook for Mother's Day. I'm thrilled with it. That LED light is very bright though. That should be a good thing, but I really want that for times when I just want a light on the book, and not use an overhead light while my husband is sleeping. He said it was so bright he could see the light through his eyelids. At first I didn't care about it, but then I did some traveling and really needed it. I will be traveling some more this summer so it's the perfect gift.

Anyone have the Kindle with special offers? Are the offers bothersome or unnoticable? Is it worth the reduced price?
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

FORT Fogey

Does anyone have any information regarding whether Kindle, Nook, or I-Pad are better for people with eye strain issue, specifically dry eye? I'm having trouble reading for as long as I need to at a time, and I was wondering if an e-reader, where I could increase the size of the type as needed, might help.

I seem to have more trouble with computer screens than conventional paper, if that's any help in making a recommendation.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Does anyone have any information regarding whether Kindle, Nook, or I-Pad are better for people with eye strain issue, specifically dry eye? I'm having trouble reading for as long as I need to at a time, and I was wondering if an e-reader, where I could increase the size of the type as needed, might help.

I seem to have more trouble with computer screens than conventional paper, if that's any help in making a recommendation.
    I don't have dry eye, but I can tell you that the Kindle does not cause me any eye strain. If I'm on my IPad or computer too long, I begin to get eye strain due to the back light. Reading a Kindle for several hours is no different for me than reading a book.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

CCL

You can turn on night reading with the iPad (white letters on a black screen). Not sure if that would be of help?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post

I don't know specifically about dry eye, but if you can read paper better I think one with e-Ink would be best rather than a computer screen. The nook and Kindle both have those options. I believe the nookColor is like a computer screen, their black and white is the eInk version. I can read for hours on my nook. I bought the eInk version and not the color for that very reason - to make it easier on my eyes. It's just like reading paper.

Being able to increase the font size is also particularly helpful too. Late at night when my eyes are tired I can increase the font size in an instant. I also tend to use a slightly larger than normal font all the time, just because I can. I know I'm not straining my eyes then. I've been considering getting one for my MIL, although she says she likes paper better. I just think she hasn't tried the eReader and would be happy with the results. She has real eye problems and I think would be better served with a reader.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've always been a "REAL" book purist/snob, but when I heard that Harry Potter was soon going to be available in eBook format, I started doing some research. I've set a goal for myself. As soon as my weight gets to a certain level (less than 10 pounds to go now), I'm treating myself to a Kindle. The 10 books we carried on our last cruise also helped convince me. Next cruise, we have to fly to the port city, and I'm NOT toting all those books.

You will be surprised how quickly you get over the book purist bias. There are so many benefits of the e-book. I can only speak to the Kindle, but I'm sure most of them have similar benefits.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Count your blessings!

The e-ink is way easier on your eyes than a lighted screen, & the color is even harder on them. It's the same principle as the lighted computer screen being hard on your eyes, or of the color TV's being harder than the old B/W's.
    Way back in the old days (yes, I was there ) when color TV's first became common, viewers had the problem of eyes tiring or burning after watching for a while. Remember the old admonishment from parents? "Don't sit so close to the TV, you'll hurt your eyes."
    It's the same thing. Using the unlit e-ink screen with a lamp for light, or an open window behind you is way easier.
    I have that unfortunately common affliction: old-people-eyes. I can see everything fine, even driving, but can't read a thing without reading glasses. Between the magifing lenses & the lighted screen, computers are hard on me & lighted screens would be the same.
    The Nook has font change & print size features that makes reading much easier. I would expect that the Kindle has the same.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    You can turn on night reading with the iPad (white letters on a black screen). Not sure if that would be of help?
    That might help, but I use eye strain as my turn off it's time to get some work done switch.

Thanks for tip. In all seriousness, I will give it a try.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

+ Reply to Thread