+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Kindle

Re: Kindle

I am a very happy e-reader owner who researched what was available and decided on the WiFi + 3G original (e-Ink, not Color) nook. One of the main advantages I saw of the nook over the Kindle was the ability to DL ePub books from the public library. But to each his own...

More and more choice and lower and lower prices can only be a good thing. I'd like to suggest again that someone with the power to do so change the name of this thread to E-Book Readers or something similar

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady;4188922;
    I am a very happy e-reader owner who researched what was available and decided on the WiFi + 3G original (e-Ink, not Color) nook. One of the main advantages I saw of the nook over the Kindle was the ability to DL ePub books from the public library. But to each his own...

More and more choice and lower and lower prices can only be a good thing. I'd like to suggest again that someone with the power to do so change the name of this thread to E-Book Readers or something similar
    Downloading from the public library was one of the main reasons I also picked the same one as you - regular Nook +3G with the e-Ink. I also liked the books could be loaned, but then Kindle came out with that option the day after I bought mine Still I'm pleased with the library option. I wish sometimes the whole screen was touch, but to have the e-Ink I'll take it the way it is. I really wanted the e-Ink in whatever eReader I chose, so the NookColor wasn't the one I was going to pick.

I also agree that with more choices come lower prices and competitive options, always a bonus for the consumer.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks;4186956;
    The Sharper Image Literati went on sale the other day. Its a basic e-reader with wifi and color. Its basically a cheaper looking version to the Kindle because its only meant to be an e-reader. When they 1st came out they were $199, then went down to around $99-$129. One store had them on sale for $40 the other day just to sell out of their inventory. For a basic e-reader without all the bells and whistles it seems perfect.
    I have one, got it for $79 on hsn. Wish I had gotten it for $40, but I really enjoy it. It serves it's purpose. I'm not tech savy, so it is easy to work with. Only problem every few months have to reset it, as it freezes.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

FORT Newbie

I just got the Nook Color & I love it so much better than the Kindle which I just bought for the games on it.
    My husband just got me the I-pad which I am using now. I just read that for every 100 print books that are
    Sold there are 150 e-books sold. It has really taken off big time.

Quote Originally Posted by tante suzie;4193482;
    I just got the Nook Color & I love it so much better than the Kindle which I just bought for the games on it.
    My husband just got me the I-pad which I am using now. I just read that for every 100 print books that are
    Sold there are 150 e-books sold. It has really taken off big time.
    What do you love about it?

FORT Newbie

What do I love about the nook? It is back lit and can be read in bed in the dark and not be in the case. It is touch screen just like the I-pad and I just find it so much more advanced than the kindle. To me it is like driving a new car instead of one ten years old.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Hey! Suzi Orman says she has a 10-year old car (and can easily afford a newer one), and that I am smart to have one!!! I'm good!!! And I'm still buying and checking out books!

(And I still want somebody to gift me with an e-reader!)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

CCL

You're cute prhoshay.

My mom just got a kobo but she hasn't downloaded any books on it yet so I can't given any feedback. It seems quite easy to use though I kept tapping at the screen in the store - too used to a touchscreen I guess. It doesn't have the keyboard like the kindle which I guess is an issue if you want to make notes. But I believe it is cheaper than the kindle (not positive).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by tante suzie;4195069;
    What do I love about the nook? It is back lit and can be read in bed in the dark and not be in the case. It is touch screen just like the I-pad and I just find it so much more advanced than the kindle. To me it is like driving a new car instead of one ten years old.
    I guess we're the reason they make two versions I bought my regular Nook for the very reason that it had the eInk, and not the backlit screen.

I will say I think that a complete touch screen would be nice, except we were discussing at book club last night that the phones people were using sometimes have spots that no longer work as a touch screen, and how they would never want just a touch screen without some key options. Yes, it was wildly off topic from our book Of course if that's a consideration my touch screen at the bottom of my regular Nook may have that same problem. Another lady there had just gotten a Kindle that her husband bought for her. I realized that her version (not a new one) was larger than mine, but thinner and weighs a bit less, and has the keypad, while mine is a touchscreen.

Overall I think it's a matter of personal preferences, and more options/competition can only be a good thing.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    You're cute prhoshay.

My mom just got a kobo but she hasn't downloaded any books on it yet so I can't given any feedback. It seems quite easy to use though I kept tapping at the screen in the store - too used to a touchscreen I guess. It doesn't have the keyboard like the kindle which I guess is an issue if you want to make notes. But I believe it is cheaper than the kindle (not positive).
    Borders bookstores that makes the Kobo just went into Chapter 11 (closing 200 stores or so), but apparently the Kobo is a separate entity and won't be affected. The article I read did say that since publishers may not be paid what they are owed they may be reluctant to place books with the reorganized Borders... not sure how that will affect your mom's choices of reading.
    You should "give" her a book and then help her download it, get her started.

+ Reply to Thread